Eduard Fw 190-A8 dual build

Evening all, 

Last update for the week, didn’t get anything done today as went to the show at Cosford and met up with my old mate tank 152. However, yesterday I managed to squeeze 3-4 hours in and painted the fuselage of the A9. First of all I mottled some Mr Paint RLM 76 on:

E07_FC99_B-6_CA8-489_E-8_D65-03_E713602_

Then sprayed some Mr Color Aqueous RLM78, Mr Paint SEAC Light Grey and Tamiya Khaki, all done without the crown cap and about 1-2cm from the surface:

4_CC4_D317-_FA9_A-4_EC8-_B54_F-_A7381_BB

Finally, another coat of Mr Paint RLM76 sprayed about 2-3 cm from the surface:

2_C3_DAF03-03_A5-4_D2_C-986_E-23_FB8261_

Then in it was time for the greens starting off with dark green with some brown violet added in:

EB7209_A1-9_CA8-4151-902_B-178_B2_CE509_

And finished off with a mixture of RLM82 and SEAC green:

05_A4_C2_F1-_ECBE-43_EE-8581-5_C5_CBB61_

It it looks a bit stark at the moment but will tone it all down once the wings are painted and the markings are on. Next stage is to paint the fuselage of the A8/R2 but that will probably be next weekend.

Thanks for dropping by,

H

• Like 5

Evening all,

As expected, didn't get anything done during the week but made some progress this weekend:

63_F2_FD20-_B677-4_B45-824_E-_F85_EA7423

Painted the fuselage of the A8/R2 including the balkenkreuz which were a bit wobbly at this stage :worry:

Lower wings and fuselage done:

64063_EA7-_E404-44_AF-987_E-0_F268274_AA

And upper wings and fuselage balkenkreuz on the A9 done:

524_EE8_C1-14_CF-4740-8_DFE-_EA47_E12_B4

Wings of the A8/R2 getting painted in 74/75:

655A84FD-51A7-4FC9-92D5-3C6580EA4A2B.jpg

Balkenkreuz on the A8 filled with RLM74 and the wobbly white bits straightened up:

BB1845_EE-_C726-45_E0-_B71_F-16_A038_EF6

And both together:

C1A3F12F-AC5E-4D4C-8960-E6A913BA42F6.jpg

The tactical markings for the A9 consist of solid white numbers and bars which were highlighted by green comouflage paint. Normally i would use pre-cut stencils for the '2' but it is unusual in having a large loop to the top. Therefore, I hacked out a rough copy and then sprayed RLM 82 around it with the hope the white decals would sit inside:

3_DA45_A9_C-2_A40-4_EF4-886_C-06_CCCC5_A

Pretty happy with the result :)

5_E235_FC2-03_DB-4475-_AA7_C-_FF0_CE334_

9189121F-C3C1-4CCF-8CDE-4B76790F46DC.jpg

Next week' I'll be doing the balkenkreuz on the upper wings and the ground concealment pattern on the A8. Then it's on to the fiddly bits.

Thanks for looking

H

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Howard Moon said:

Next week' I'll be doing the balkenkreuz on the upper wings and the ground concealment pattern on the A8. Then it's on to the fiddly bits.

Not forgetting the Swastika of course!

Thats some lovely paint work on show there H, always good to see the markings go on as well, it brings a model to life I reckon.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tank152 said:

Not forgetting the Swastika of course!

Thats some lovely paint work on show there H, always good to see the markings go on as well, it brings a model to life I reckon.

Will be using decals for the swastikas :mellow: You’re right the markings do bring them to life. 

20 hours ago, Sturmovik said:

@Howard Moon the image links on the first page are broken, do you know why?

Thanks for drawing my attention to this. Apparently there was a problem with the hosting site, I will renew the links over the next day or so :happy:

11 hours ago, mick said:

good progress

Thanks Mick, been fun so far!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

Slowly making progress, but didn't have time to post an update last weekend so here goes. Having got the basic camouflage colours on, it was time to apply the upper wing crosses. I couldn't do any more with the A8 until this was done as it had a sqiggle pattern painted over the normal RLM 74/75 and around the crosses. I prefer to paint my markings wherever possible but didn't have any pre cut masks to hand. Therefore, I used strips of tape of various widths to mark them out. 2mm wide tape was used to set the width:

13F56253-4BFC-4EC4-93B1-C6E7C5ECE799.jpg

And then removed when everything was in place and Tamiya XF2 white sprayed on:

55CDE75B-8762-48B7-961D-39942B12AB54.jpg

Some touching up was necessary but easy to do:

F4C04EE9-B332-4141-8E1A-04E379C015B1.jpg

After applying the wing walkway lines, I could now proceed with the ground concealment scheme on the A8 and decided to use Mr Hobby Aqueous RLM 71 for this. Sprayed at low pressure, it took several sessions to build up the mottles on the fuselage and then moving on to the squiggles and mottles on the wings:

DC161B1D-1105-4610-A613-91BD1E3DE46B.jpg

Although I was pretty happy with the way the fuselage was turning out, I wasn't so happy with the wings but could not determine why. So, best course of action, walk away and ponder for a few days. Having glanced at the model most days before going to work, I decided the pale walk way lines were too much of a contrast with the scheme and just did not look right. Yestrday, I sat down and with quite some trepidation, started dulling down the lines with very dilute mixes of RLM 74 and 75. This was followed up by touching up and adding more RLM 71 until I got to a point where I was happy(er);

1275B58F-29D9-4441-9FBE-192540BB4B82.jpg

I had applied some AK worn effects at the priming stage so also took the opportunity to chip the wing roots. Final job for yesterday was to get a gloss coat on both models and for this I used Tamiya X-22 clear thinned with Mr Color Levelling Thinners. This was flashed off by spraying neat levelling thinners over the model as the gloss coat was drying. This morning, the clear coat was rock hard so the areas behind the exhaust were masked off and sprayed Tamiya Nato Black:

4B980E6E-8C90-4B54-9CB5-629F5E9074FA.jpg

As you can see the props and spinners are now coplete, the one for the A8 is an aftermarket one from Ultracast and has the external weights on the prop blades. Then, on with the rest of the markings:

E49477F5-AB53-4C64-A680-E00CC24B82A7.jpg

The red makes a nice contrast to what otherwise is a very dark and dull scheme. The fuel triangles were applied in accordance with the instructions but something didn't appear quite right. It was only then I decided to refer to some reference pics sent to me by tank152 and lo and behold they were in the wrong place :doh: Deciding they needed to come off, I attacked them with strips of tamiya tape but despite being on for no more than an hour, they wouldn't budge! Careful application of Micro Sol and judicious use of a toothpick removed most of the decals but had to resort to breaking out the airbrush and RLM 71 again. Finally, they were re applied in their correct locations adjacent to the fuel flaps and not above them:

201A0E93-C062-4C8D-816A-F1218BC9F37A.jpg

At that point, I decided that was enough for today but will try and get some decalling done during the week. I have also made a start on the MLG including the addition of brake lines made from lead wire. Still loads to do :):

2E0D22E6-B138-4E16-A93F-7A6563CD5EF2.jpg

Thanks for dropping by and look forward to your comments :bye:

Howard

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, tank152 said:

Looking good H,  Red 10 is slowly coming together now, it could maybe take a little more mottling as well?

Do you think so? Where abouts? I had resigned myself to it being about right but interested to hear your thoughts. Has soft lad sent those masks for your Sea Fury yet?

36 minutes ago, Howard Moon said:

Do you think so? Where abouts? I had resigned myself to it being about right but interested to hear your thoughts. Has soft lad sent those masks for your Sea Fury yet?

I would say round the fuselage Balkenkruez, loose some of that RLM76. Its a hard one to call with the wings though although looking at the one pic that shows part of the starboard wing it does look as if very little RLM75 is showing through. Forgot to say in my last post, those upper wing crosses are very nicely done.

As for my masks for the Sea Fury, no I'm still waiting for them.

• 3 weeks later...

Modelling time has been limited for the past few weeks but took Tank152's advice and added some more mottling around the fuselage balkenkreuz. Definitely looks better:

6B84E4B7-CFE2-4927-B952-78EF35EE318E.jpg

Both models have had a panel line wash and a flat coat. I've also done a bit of weathering with MIG Oilbrushers:

9609BBFF-B372-4665-909D-35656BBDB053.jpg

Exhaust staining is a very dilute mix of Tamiya NATO Black and Red Brown sprayed at low pressure. Cannon barrels were cut from various diameters of Albion Alloys brass tubing:

6_A990_E93-_B637-4_FE2-_B7_B9-2600469_D1

Most of the add-ons are now painted and flatted ready to go on:

4EB5C552-ABA5-4157-9E11-5A6424C86364.jpg

Finally nearing the finish line! I am off for a week at Whitsun so intend to get both of these finished then. Next update will probably be in RFI.

Thanks for looking in,

H

• Like 5

They're both shaping up rather nicely, you're going to end up with 2 very nice models when they're done. 

It has definitely made a difference adding that mottling around those crosses on Red 10.

Excellent work with both planes! Love to see them finished! :)

I have this kit, but haven't dared starting it yet. It's been sitting on the shelf since I bought it when the kit came out.

Nice to see your build, and now I might start building them, as I feel more confident with my skills now! :)

Håkan

On 5/20/2018 at 2:57 PM, tank152 said:

They're both shaping up rather nicely, you're going to end up with 2 very nice models when they're done. 

It has definitely made a difference adding that mottling around those crosses on Red 10.

Thank you. That was a good call on the mottling, it definitely looks better 👍.

On 5/20/2018 at 4:59 PM, Azgaron said:

Excellent work with both planes! Love to see them finished! :)

I have this kit, but haven't dared starting it yet. It's been sitting on the shelf since I bought it when the kit came out.

Nice to see your build, and now I might start building them, as I feel more confident with my skills now! :)

Håkan

Please share when you start them Hakan, they can be tricky but plenty of test fitting is the answer. 🙂. Thanks for your comments. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Andwil said:

Wow, only just caught up with this, what brilliant work, an absolute masterclass in painting!

Andrew

Andrew,

That’s very generous of you, I’m not sure it’s a masterclass though 🙂. I must admit, the painting is always my favourite stage of the build. 

14 hours ago, Kahunaminor said:

Bravo, sir, bravo.

Great read and a really good looking result.

Regards,

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the kind comments. Enjoying your 109 build btw 👍

Afternoon everybody, hope you are all enjoying the bank holiday weekend 🙂. I’m very close to finishing these now, they are on their legs and most of the antennae are on. I ditched the pitots supplied in the kit and replaced with telescopic lengths of Albion Alloys brass tube. This is how they’re  looking at the moment:

D55_F2793-2_A6_C-456_A-868_B-_A5_D0_A5_B

EBC983_F2-_D9_DB-433_B-_BAFA-_FB8_DF2675

I’m still agonizing over how to do the slack antenna cable on White 2 and at this rate will probably leave it off. Suggestions anybody? Planning on finishing these tomorrow.

Thanks for looking

Howard

• Like 4

Great to see them both on their feet. They're both starting to look quite menacing now 👍

As for the slack antenna wire have you tried using 0.1 wire? I've used black wire in that size and quite liked the end result. I bought mine off Modelling Tools.

I bet you've already had both the props on for a crafty look to see what they look like!!! 🙂