Tugging at my heart strings , Canberra WJ636

This is a project that means a lot to me on two levels, first the subject WJ636, she is the first "Live" Canberra I ever got access to and started a long association with 100 Sqn, and secondly the kit, which was started by a very good and sadly missed friend from Belgium, Edmondo. He started to build this not long before he was diagnosed with lung cancer and got as far as building the wings and some on the cockpit detail, before he was forced to give up. So I've decided to finish what he started and build her as Charly X-Ray, 100 Sqn's unofficial flagship.

p02A1b.jpg

As I said Edmond had already built the wings so all I've had to do so far is drill a hole where the pylons for the Rushton winches will hang and add the skin strengthening on the upper wing where the spigot for the pylon fastens. I've used very thin self adhesive "Vinyl wrap" for this.   

p02CfY.jpg

p026Xp.jpg

and the same around the two cabin windows

p02h36.jpg

more work on the fuselage, this time adding from left to right the secondary nose window, the three colour downward identification lights, and the aft white ident light.

p02EJf.jpg

John 

Edited by canberra kid
getting it right thanks to Wez
  • Like 15
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Sorry to hear about your friend John. Yes you are right to continue this build for him. That being said ..

May I sit in ?  A Canberra built by canberra kid shouldnt be missed. 

More than welcome my friend, and thank you. I hope I can do it justice for him.

John

John,

Really interested in this thread and will be following with interest, love the subject, love the colour scheme (gotta love a Tatty Ton Canberra)...    ...just one thing, can you edit the title, a hart is a deer whereas I think you mean heart strings.

I feel shamefaced for bringing this up but I am sat in pedants' corner :blush:

Sorry...

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Wez said:

John,

Really interested in this thread and will be following with interest, love the subject, love the colour scheme (gotta love a Tatty Ton Canberra)...    ...just one thing, can you edit the title, a hart is a deer whereas I think you mean heart strings.

I feel shamefaced for bringing this up but I am sat in pedants' corner :blush:

Sorry...

Thanks Wez, and good to have you along too, if you had asked me to spell a the name of a deer I'd have had no idea, so thnks, dyslexia is a wonderful thing, now if someone can tell me how to edit it I will :)

John

1 hour ago, Hamden said:

Nice tribute to your friend

I'll follow along too if you don't mind

Roger

Good to see you here too Roger

John   

19 hours ago, cngaero said:

This will be a fine tribute to your friend.

Following with great interest.

Good to have you along Chris!

Not done any modeling on her today, it's been a day of looking at what needs doing with the CA panel detail, some will need deleting. 

John  

23 hours ago, Scimitar said:

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I am confident that the end result will be a fitting tribute.

I'll just take a seat at the back if that's ok?

Thanks Richard, you're more than welcome :)

John

22 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Budge up, guys.

I edited a title once, john, but I'm blowed if I can remember what I did 

I think I've got it Rob, I remember how after a while thinking about it.

John

I've done a bit more work on the wings today, the filler around the nacelles has been rubbed down and I've had a look at the panel lines to sort out which ones need adding and which need removing, over all it's not too bad. As you will see from the following photo the red lines are the ones that need removing and the yellow are the ones to add. The underside of the wing is much better with only one of each. 

peymPn.jpg

I've also added 4 new exhaust vents to the front of the nacelle as they are too small as marked on the kit, I've used the same rap filb as I used on the top of the wing.

peypas.jpg

John   

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

What is it again?

Sorry Rob, I should have made it clearer. It's a self adhesive film that is used for customising cars and vans and applying graphics to van's  cars and even aircraft. Anyway, I "rescued" quite a big bit from work that was left over from a job I was working on. It's very thin, strong and very sticky. 

John

Edited by canberra kid
spel chek
  • Thanks 1

On 31/03/2018 at 6:23 PM, 71chally said:

fine work there as usual John, very worthy for your friend.

Thanks James, it's nice to do a relatively easy straightforward one for a change, the hard part will be the paint work.

On 31/03/2018 at 6:41 PM, clive_t said:

I shall follow as well, if I may. Not normally one for jets, but the tribute to your friend is certainly a worthy notion. Good luck with it :thumbsup2:

Thanks Clive, you more than welcome.

John

• Like 1

Eagle eyes is here

So am I Tom, joining the others in respect for what you are doing for a friend

Film panelling is a technique I've found useful too, subtle and really there all in one go

I'm by the bar

• Like 1