Tugging at my heart strings , Canberra WJ636

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

Cracking work as usual John!

BTW are they B.2 wing skin diagrams in your last shot, I don't think that I've seen them before.

Thanks James, it is James, very useful it is too! I've scaled it up to 1/48 so I can measure directly to the kit.

John  

• Like 1

I've done the last of the work on the wings, first job was to reshape the tips to take the Airfix Navigation lights, these are far better than the two part CA item. 

vIsFIM.jpg

Next was to reduce the height of the wing speed brakes, these stand far too proud. 

vIsaqF.jpg

Back to the fuselage, CA have indicated the position of the gap under the tailplanes that allows them to move down for pitch control, on the real aircraft this is a gap so I decided to open it up.

vIsr65.jpg

After marking with a pencil I drilled a hole then it was out with the piercing saw, and bit of tidying up with a file and it's sorted! 

vIssYP.jpg

John    

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
On 4/14/2018 at 7:07 PM, TheBaron said:

Consummate Canberrying as always John.

Sorry for the loss of your friend but a fitting way to celebrate his memory.

Thanks mate, sorry for the big delay! I have been working away at her but I've had no time to post.

John

So what have I been doing? I've started to work on the cockpit. The CA kit comes with a nice resin bomb sight head, unfortunately this isn't needed for the TT.18, so off to the spares box it goes! 

vul9UA.jpg

As you can see from the above photo I'm intending to replace the same part with part of the Airfix kit., this part needed modifying too so it would more closely represent the reale area in the nose. I also cut out the bomb aimers couch from the B(I)8 to add to the nose. 

vul2sY.jpg

I've done a bit of dry brushing on the cockpit 

vulN5f.jpg

I've now turned to the wheels, I've used the Airfix B.2 wheels as they are by far and away the best ones around, as they come but they could still be improved with a bit work. One of the things that needs doing is to open up the spokes. 

vulK7X.jpg

vul7pF.jpg

More soon!

John

• Like 9

Looking good! Nice looking tires! A bit of work opening them up though. :)

Håkan

• Like 1

Hi John, I had a chance to look inside the Canberra cockpit/front fuselage at Tangmere a few weeks ago.

So I've got some idea of what you're modelling here.

Good going!

I could see why the yanks tore it out and started again with the B57

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Looking good! Nice looking tires! A bit of work opening them up though. :)

Håkan

Thanks Håkan, It wasn't too bad really, I drilled them first the cut the extra plastic away with the point on a new scalpel.

John

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hamden said:

Nice to see you back with this one John

Great work on the cockpit and wheel/tyres

Roger

Thanks Roger, I'm having a mojo hiatus at the moment, everything feels much more work than it should be, but I will press on!

John 

1 hour ago, rob Lyttle said:

Hi John, I had a chance to look inside the Canberra cockpit/front fuselage at Tangmere a few weeks ago.

So I've got some idea of what you're modelling here.

Good going!

I could see why the yanks tore it out and started again with the B57

Thanks Rob, it is a bit of a typical british lash up, the early B.2's were very simple and quite spaten affairs, but as time went by and the roll's got more complex more and more kit squesd in it got quite messy, Uncle Sam doesn't like messy! The B.57A was much tidier my big grudge is the deletion on the overhead windows, it was to save weight I know, but it must have been even more claustrophobic for the GIB.

John     

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, Hamden said:

Any news of this fantastic build?

Roger

Hi Roger

Sorry for the lack of updates, I have been doing a bit of work on her but I've had to switch production for an urgent Nimrod production, at the moment I'm doing something which I try very hard to avoid and that's doing more than one build at a time, I've actually got four on the go of which only one is for me! 

John  

• Like 1