Academy Tempest V * finished*

shatters

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Cool choice of subject Phil. Will you be adding the underwing RPs to this one?

Thanks Col, been looking to see what type of rails they carried, got some WW2 ones from a typhoon, but I think they should be post war zero length rails.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shatters said:

Thanks Col, been looking to see what type of rails they carried, got some WW2 ones from a typhoon, but I think they should be post war zero length rails.

I was skim-reading a Copy of either Flypast or Aeroplane in Tesco earlier today and noticed a photo of post-war Tempest F.2s at Berlin-Gatow with empty rocket rails but didn't pay sufficient attention to it. Sure posting a question in the Cold-War section of the forum will bring the experts to your aid though ;) 

37 minutes ago, shatters said:

Thanks again Col, sounds like a good excuse to buy aviation magazines.

Phil

Any excuse is a good one Phil :D 

• Like 1

Hi Phil

confused about what?  the type of rails?  or if fitted?

Note on the decals there is reference 'Chris Thomas Typhoon/Tempest'    which is @Chris Thomas  who if he see this (the @  gives a notfication)  will be most likely to answer your question.

My book is on loan so  can't check  for you at the mo.

HTH

11 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Phil

confused about what?  the type of rails?  or if fitted?

Note on the decals there is reference 'Chris Thomas Typhoon/Tempest'    which is @Chris Thomas  who if he see this (the @  gives a notfication)  will be most likely to answer your question.

My book is on loan so  can't check  for you at the mo.

HTH

Confused about underwing serials, top source says none fitted while Warpaint says there should night ones.

Phil

35 minutes ago, shatters said:

Confused about underwing serials, top source says none fitted while Warpaint says there should night ones.

Phil

I would be surprised if no underwing  serials,  as these were standard post May 1945 as 'buzz' numbers.     Chris will bethe chap for more on this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Serials were carried under the wings on postwar Tempests. Apart from some trials aircraft, MkIIs and Mk Vs used Mk.III aluminium rails, as per late war Typhoons, only the Mk VIs in the ME used 'zero-length launchers.

CT.

Edited by Chris Thomas
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 01/04/2018 at 15:56, Chris Thomas said:

Serials were carried under the wings on postwar Tempests. Apart from some trials aircraft, MkIIs and Mk Vs used Mk.III aluminium rails, as per late war Typhoons, only the Mk VIs in the ME used 'zero-length launchers.

CT.

Thanks for the confirmation Chris, I'll fit typhoon rails and night serials.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably the first time that I've seen a Tempest finished in silver (I don't get out much!), and it looks great - dare I say, much better than in camo?

Congratulations.