It's Saturday, household chores/taxi service of Mum & Dad complete, time to get started on #1 of possibly 3 kits for this GB. 

As a non-aviator, I have "enjoyed" the many opportunities to fly as a passenger on numerous Military aircraft over my 32+ years of service. In November 2016 I got to "trap & Launch" in this beast on CVN-69 (IKE) out in the Gulf. I made the mistake of getting to know one of the pilots (also an instructor) in the preceding weeks, so had got the run down on all the difficulties and known hazards long before my eventful day out. For those interested, a quick google YouTube search brings up a few videos showing the workload on the pilots in bringing one of these planes aboard. My friend best described it as trying to balance on a bar stool (on one leg) whilst rubbing your tummy & patting your head.

I intend a standard Out-The-Box build, Eduard self adhesive cockpit ('cos I is lazy!) and then, obviously for me, I will attempt to change the kit decals/custom paint to get the airframe I flew on.

(this is my 1st attempt with FLICKR - so please bare with me as I clearly struggle with the uploads!)

40091655585_5777003790_c.jpg

39176289610_bf23ac3292_c.jpg40943278962_b8741700f5_c.jpg40943022232_1754716860_c.jpg

• Like 10

Great choice, an aircraft I have never heard of if I'm honest, but that's the great thing about BM, every days a school day !

I must be a good size, as it's 1/48 scale

looking forward to this one :popcorn:

cheers Pat

On the positive side to losing an hour when the clocks change here in the UK, is that Teenage children (who seem unable to wake up until after midday) wake up even later :)

Thus I was able to crack on with what is usually the ugliest stage of my model building, the interior and main fuselage going together.....so in the interests of honesty in this GB, here are the "left hand marker" pictures. After this post, they should start to get better...

39201452620_bde3a17c25_c.jpg

Kinetic's internal detail is really rather good, fit is excellent and I note that for those who really want to go that extra mile, there are eduard photo etched seat belts for the whole passenger compartment. The lazy modeller in me has settled for the blue seat covers and some Tamiya smoke & dry brushing for some wear & tear, Not that you'll ever see it.

So how much nose weight and what did it cost??? ( about 12 pence, & 1 cent! - I'll let you know if this is enough, but every online build of this kit suggests there can never be enough)

40968499182_0a9de44d36_c.jpg

40968495322_a4c8ca14d2_c.jpg

Finally, end of weekend clear away from the kitchen table. halves joined together (good fit, bit some super glue added for security). There will be a little sanding& rubbing,  but more a reflection on my poor skills rather than the engineering of the kit. 

26139593057_6e6d81c361_c.jpg

having sprayed acrylic Light Gull Grey on before putting cargo bay windows in, I then proceeded to put a large superglue finger print just aft the st'b'd cockpit. However I was able to easily sand off as seen above.

If I get time during the week, I will start the masking and get 90% of the main fuselage done before joining the wing & tail.

(Ben, if you read this, I painted a "brown" soiled mark on the cabin seat next to where you were to represent our "international" colleague who didn't enjoy the Trap so much :)) Perhaps I should have "melted" the arm rests where he gripped them as well?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

welcome aboard with your second (ok first, I got the order wrong) build and a big one too!

it's not often that you see these types of aircraft built, so it's great to see one in this GB. They are a big aircraft so in 1/48th she's going to be huge. As scary as it probably was, it would have been a blast to go on that flight, I would have sold my first born for the chance (I have offered to give him away free once!!)! :D

Well good luck with the build, it'll be great to follow this build. 

• Like 1

I bought one of these a few months ago while I was doing my Kinetic Hawkeye  

I'm going to be following this very intently. 

That looks a lot of weight in the nose, I used a massive fishing weight in my hawkeye and the sucker still sat on its butt. 

Good luck with the build, I'll be interested to find out how much you can see through the cockpit glazing when it's finished.

Pleased to report that this is a well engineered kit by Kinetic - in fact the use of filler etc is ALL due to my below average modelling skills.

As stated above, I used the Eduard cockpit "pre painted" set. Great detail, but as WAFU states, not sure how much will be seen on completeion......and it gets worse :(

The Eduard set comes with the "sticky - pre-glue(?)" already set on reverse of parts.......not sure how helpful that actually is, worse, "their" glue is NOT that strong. In the last photo coming up, a "loose-articles" check has revealed that "something" has already come loose :swear:

41181089481_109d8a1b3b_c.jpgVRC-40 DET 4 cockpit 

Most Hawkeyes/Greyhounds in warm climates will open the cockpit roof hatches whilst parked on deck, so I went for this so as to show off more of the cockpit. Just as well I did, 'cos one of the side windows popped out during the filling/sanding phase and I was able to get some bent tweezers in through the roof hatch to fix !

39419180620_a9d699ef28_c.jpgIMG_3144 

most of the main assemblies now done, just an exercise in masking, spraying, masking again (repeat, repeat) until I am satisfied with the finish. Very little of the main cabin can be seen, so clearly I will claim for the benefit of this GB that I hand painted all the thread & stitching into the cabin seats..........

41184989482_c360ef63b2_c.jpgIMG_3143 

Edit - I have built the Kinetic E-2 some years ago (VAW-123 screwtops) - I was told by the crews at the time that for landing, the rear crew open up the cabin roof hatch so as to speed up egress should it all turn sour (open hatch = no jam to airframe distortion on hitting water). The "initiation test was for the rear crew member under the hatch to try and hold his/her arm out thru' this opening during an arrested landing....urban myth or brag for the benefit of the token Brit onboard?

• Like 2

E-2C - roof hatches.... from my previous E-2 build........and "yes" now I've checked, you can see sweet F*** all once the kit is completed. 

40516300494_53dda0f8d7_c.jpgIMG_3147 by

40516299164_59837c3fda_c.jpgIMG_3148

Edit : WAFU just seen your E-2 build....SNAP :) 

Update (now I've really figured out how to use FLICKR!)

1st spray & mask - will repeat to get a better "white" finish. Using Halfords Appliance White, decanted and Mr Hobby Gull Grey

26358058907_fc1420b8a0_c.jpgIMG_3145 

26358057477_2f78d7a2df_c.jpgIMG_3146 by

note the "lose article" - the entire cockpit overhead panel that came out thru the rear cargo door   uuurrrgggghhhh!

beginning the custom tail markings:

39420642290_0024d0dc76_c.jpgIMG_3151 by , on Flickr

1st coat of Hannants FS yellow. 2nd coat to follow then the masking & rd spraying. The metal "bolt" is my souvenir "snapped" part from the hold back bar that is used for C-2 launches. When the cat shot stroke begins, it actually shears that metal right off. Other aircraft don't have hold back bars that snap, apparently. Useful paperweight anyway.

here are some previous custom tails that I have either masked or used grease paper/tracing paper to create (all 1/32)

40516305824_fd74bb5544_c.jpgIMG_3149 by , on Flickr

27356953778_0b802bab40_c.jpgIMG_3150 by , on Flickr

• Like 6

wow you have been very busy and doing some lovely work as well.

About the only thing you can say about that wayward IP is that there's a very good chance it can't be seen so no one will notice....except the dust bunnies!

I love you custom paint jobs on the tails, lovely work, well done.

Decaling Day.......

decision to attach engine mounts AFTER fusalarge decaling is a wise one - those "cheat lines" were fairly easy, but would have been a challenge if attempted after engines were on. I have dry fitted engine mounts and fit is good (possibly a little filler required on top wing join to engines, we'll see)

So far I have managed to source ALL the serial numbers etc from within the box. By chance, the BUer number of my "ride" was only one digit out from a scheme provided in kit, so some sharp scalpel work + a "Dwight D Eisenhower" from the spares box, and I'm nearly there.

41315205881_0ecbd991f1_c.jpgIMG_3152 

27443111868_20b4a94fc8_c.jpgIMG_3153 

26443609017_e0056bf7f4_c.jpgIMG_3155 

41315208701_5ff0595354_c.jpgIMG_3154 

Anti static wicks (kit molded) left in place, but intention is to replace with ones cut from those plastic threads(?) that you find in ALL clothing purchases (and Lord Knows with my wife's shopping habits, I have a lifetime supply of those:huh:

Kinetic's decals are by Cartigraf (sp?) - blooming marvelous, plenty of "slide time" after application, respond very well to setting solutions, highly commended.

Aux Jet exhaust under St'b'd cockpit could really do with being drilled out and short length of plastic tube added. I did consider this before closing fuselage halves, but cockpit design doesn't leave enough room. 

Panel wash next and then attention to some of the smaller details. I note that Skunk Model Works do a nice starter trolley, looking at my 1st photo in thread and the aim of this GB, I'm tempted to get one and put a few crew figures loitering (!) around on deck? (There were about a dozen+ Brits serving on IKE at the time of my visit. Mostly chockheads learning the art of marshalling multi million $ jets, loaded up thru gaps on a flight deck that frankly most of us would struggle to park a car in. (little Union Jack flags on the backs of their FlightDeck Helmets))

40602409204_6c06877db9_c.jpg

now how do I paint "Captain America" or get that VAW 123 screwtops decal on the tail.......?

40420341345_3c1160218d_c.jpgPresentation1 by

• Like 8

not much to see in update, weathering& panel lines being worked on, but have focused on my "other" Navy project (too far advanced at start of this GB to be included here)

40558745105_a8db3cc0d9_c.jpgIMG_3158 by

Trumpy 1/32 F/A18E

40558747235_bd175041f3_c.jpgIMG_3156 by

39643680640_e571e59d32_c.jpgIMG_3159 by

the Felix refueling logo is hand painted (but in 1/32 you could probably use a crayon and still get it right :)

• Like 3

What size Screwtops decal do you need? The Bingo decals has a few smaller ones on it.

The COD is coming on now, looks stunning in the high viz markings. 

Liking the Hornet as well, busy times eh?

Chockheads on a Yank carrier, a bit of a step up from the dummy deck at Culd'y. Still the size of the QE and PofW flight deck, you'll be able to have a full flying program and a banyan at the other end. Hands to flying stations.

• Like 1

I've got the Bingo sheet - no it would need to be a small zap sized item. But as yesterday represented my 1st successful go at printing my own ( the "TOMCATTERS" on the drop tanks) I might have a go at resizing (and then printing on flat whit decal. ......as well as the "Captain America" for th tail end of the ramp.

Only problem I see with the £4.5 billion QE flight deck design is: where does the Horse racing take place? Deck edge lifts might be the fashion, but I can see a lot of oversized dice ending up in the blue crinkly stuff.

• Haha 1

I was on the Lusty when Yen's Anderson jumped over the side, mid Atlantic' for the black maskers puck. On Commanders table, he said the PTI ordered him to 'not stand there, go and get it'. On a serious side, the two carriers must be a good thing for the RN.

Enjoying your build, I have a soft spot for the less glam carrier birds, must be cos I'm an ex Pinger eng?

• Like 1

Gosh that F-18 looks amazing and I love the finish, what I'll be after for my F-14 build later in the year.

Back on track, your greyhound is looking sensational, can't wait to see her completed.

• 3 weeks later...

Start of Bank Holiday Weekend - so a quick post on the C-2 ahead of hopefully getting some good progress on the model this weekend......after taxi service to teenage kids, grass cutting, etc  etc :(   oh, and I tried making my own GB Banner ......probably crap, but free to anyone who wants to copy it 

28017330838_38685b6f7e_c.jpg

and "yes" she still sits firmly on all 3 sets of wheels, mind you Centre of gravity (CoG) is now only 2-3 cm in front of main wheels, and I've still got the ramp & wings (folded back) to get on.......:worry:

• Like 6

Great to see your progress, hope you get bench time over the weekend. I'm working all weekend so no chance for me I'm afraid.

Really looking forward to the finished Greyhound.

wow that is looking so nice, I love the finish you have on her, super clean looking and realistic! 

It's always scary adding bits and seeing CoG moving ever further backwards! Were they ever fitted with a tail bumper or support jack for loading and unloading from the rear. A lot of rear loading and cargo aircraft will quite often have a small support fitted under the rear of the fuselage during loading/unloading to help stop them from sitting on the tails or moving around too much.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

almost 6 weeks with little progress, work & living next to the beach when there is windsurfing to be done is a pretty good distraction......

nearly there, undercarriage doors, static wicks (to be made from old clothes "plastic ties" and the ramp still to go. I reckon I will have a go @ some scratch windscreen wipers as well

42432515204_da82acef5a_z.jpgIMG_3165 

41340191920_9a0131160b_z.jpgIMG_3166 

42432512434_5b3f291e9c_z.jpgIMG_3167

28281529217_f1ce3334ff_z.jpgIMG_3164 

• Like 4

and just to show that I have been doing some other modelling (inspired to finish having seen DaveJL's excellent Super Hornet build)s:

42432504784_f89e5ac251_z.jpgIMG_3171

42432508894_646c9bd1c9_z.jpgIMG_3169 might need a left arm there!

41340188440_fc6886999d_z.jpgIMG_3168 

Ready 4 Inspection by weekend  :)

• Like 4