Eastern Express Viscount 700

26Decals

• 1 year later...

EE are very expensive for what you get; however I do need three, possibly more Viscount 700's.  F-RSIN also produces Viscount 700 series so I shall have to compare prices before committing pension to either.

Mike

4 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Question is with recent EE prices how much more expensive will it be than the S&M one (which mysteriously I see tons of at model shows for £4 or less apiece - was there a massive order by mistake? )

The S&M kit is an 800, not a 700. 

It didn’t sell at all well and nearly drove Mel out of the business I think. It’s an ok kit but very short on detail.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vlamgat9 said:

The S&M kit is an 800, not a 700. 

It didn’t sell at all well and nearly drove Mel out of the business I think. It’s an ok kit but very short on detail.

Yes, I'd heard that. It's a damn shame. I think this was yet another of those aircraft subjects that modellers were apparently "screaming out for"only to leave it on the shelves when it appeared.

I don't think S & M would have done it unless they were sure of demand. A pity they got burned this way. Agreed it's pretty basic but in such a small scale I don't reckon that matters too much.

Allan

• Like 2

Regarding the EE kits Hannants were listing Heralds at £43.00 or thereabouts and their new DC-10 at £60.00 plus So the Viscount will be about the same as the Herals I would guess.

1 minute ago, Paul J said:

Regarding the EE kits Hannants were listing Heralds at £43.00 or thereabouts and their new DC-10 at £60.00 plus So the Viscount will be about the same as the Herals I would guess.

Ouch!! Sorry but, I reckon that is SERIOUSLY overpriced for what is actually a pretty small model. Cannot see them shifting many at that price level.  Personal choice of course. Guess it depends how much people want them.

Allan

• Like 1

Not really my area of interest - but I was intrigued by the image of the boxtop showing G-AMOG in BOAC Speedbird colours - I had never seen that before.

A quick Google search returned photos of the same aircraft - but I can only find images with 'BOAC' titles - not 'British airways' as shown on the box.

What am I missing ???

Ken (a casual observer)

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

That is shockingly expensive.  Same price, more or less, as a Airfix Shackleton in 1/72. A-Model have kits of a similar size/class for less than half that amount.  Too rich for my blood, alas.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flankerman said:

Not really my area of interest - but I was intrigued by the image of the boxtop showing G-AMOG in BOAC Speedbird colours - I had never seen that before.

A quick Google search returned photos of the same aircraft - but I can only find images with 'BOAC' titles - not 'British airways' as shown on the box.

What am I missing ???

Ken (a casual observer)

I'm sure I've seen other BOAC and BEA types with the BA titles.  Presumably during the transitional period when BOAC and BEA were amalgamated to create BA.  Pity they ditched BOAC's beautiful colour scheme and their very cool font. 

A bit off-topic but now BA have even ditched Speedbird and replaced it with some awful 80s looking wreath/ribbon affair.  Funnily enough I discussed these schemes when I got chatting to two charming old chaps in a supermarket once.  They used to work in marketing for BOAC.  They always thought BEA was a bit tacky in comparison to BOAC.  They had employed people like Greta Garbo to promote BOAC.  Pretty classy.  They said, somewhat tongue in cheek,  that when the amalgamation happened instead of bringing BEA up to BOAC's standards BOAC was brought down to BEA's and thus BA was formed!  Having said that I've always liked BEA's schemes, especially the Speedjack on the Tridents.  My first aviation memory was seeing rows of them at Gatwick when we were going on holiday. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bootneck said:

EE are very expensive for what you get; however I do need three, possibly more Viscount 700's.  F-RSIN also produces Viscount 700 series so I shall have to compare prices before committing pension to either.

Mike

F-Rsin's Viscount 700s are retailing at Norfolk's biggest model shop for £18.99, which seems pretty reasonable in comparison.  I haven't seen the kit although I do have their Britannia in my stash and it looks quite nice.  I have heard their are some accuracy issues with the Britannia concerning the shape of the nose but it looks like a Britannia to me. 

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

That is shockingly expensive.  Same price, more or less, as a Airfix Shackleton in 1/72. A-Model have kits of a similar size/class for less than half that amount.  Too rich for my blood, alas.  

It's almost as ludicrous as the

high price for the Roden C-5 Galaxy kits

Allan

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Maybe Ray will have some available.  Just saying...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

It's almost as ludicrous as the

high price for the Roden C-5 Galaxy kits

Allan

Jeepers.  Just looked them up.  That is quite staggering. Who buys these kits? The same price as an Airfix 1/24th Typhoon or Hellcat. To put it in to context Revell's 1/72 A400 is less than half that price.  To think there was once a kit of the Galaxy that came free with a few box tops of Frosties.

Edited by Meatbox8
Extra added outrage!
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

really? anyone buying at hannants? its not the kit , that is overpriced, it is hannants that keeps me laughin all the time!

at pas-decals you can buy all this stuff for reasonal prices. the DC-9 is not even 20€ for example...