224 Peter

Is that not WK800? I am restoring WH453 which was a sister up at Llanbedr. WH453 is being put back into F.8 configuration.

Incidently our aircraft has the main fuel tank cover from WK800 or A77-876 as is stenciled on it.

Believe the owner was offered the tank lid from WH453 as the one off WK800 had been heavily modified and reinforced.

I must get down and see WK800 some time.

Julien

Juilen, 

Yes, there are 2 Meteors at BDAC, WK800, which is almost exactly as it was when flown from Llanbedr to Boscombe Down on its last flight. It is the centre of a display of drones, all bright yellow and post office red. WK800 could be put back in the air, it needs 2 new engines but everything is there and works. All it needs is money......

There is also a 2 seater undergoing major renovation, this will never be more than a display aircraft. 

BDAC is at Old Sarum, open every day except Mondays. 

Peter

Just to clarify, the subject Meteor of this thread is actually an NF.11, WD686.

WK800 is indeed in superb condition, but no designs on being made airworthy.  It's two good engines went to support the Martin Baker Meteors while in storage.

The owner wouldn't have 'took' the cover, it would have come with the package.

30867231015_252486e17a_c.jpgGloster Meteor U.16 WK800 Z cockpit by James Thomas, on Flickr

Edited by 71chally

On 3/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, malpaso said:

I think it seems that Gloster just couldn’t be bothered whatsoever?  After all a similar size but much less framed canopy could have been generated using a combo of UK elements similar to Malcolm and Typhoon hoods!  And the Canberra goldfish bowl is from the same period.  So there’s no real excuse for Gloster.  

I’m just glad my Xtrakit T7 came with canopy masks...

Cheers

Will

Gloster just couldn’t be bothered whatsoever? 

Well Gloster  seemed to have it sussed out the canopy problems by 1953/4,  with the NF 14 canopy!

Selwyn

41 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Gloster just couldn’t be bothered whatsoever? 

Well Gloster  seemed to have it sussed out the canopy problems by 1953/4,  with the NF 14 canopy!

Selwyn

The NF14’s were the responsibility of Armstrong Whitworth......

Trevor

7 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

The NF14’s were the responsibility of Armstrong Whitworth......

Trevor

but Gloster's were probably still the design authority. My point is that by 1954 it was possible to produce large blown  canopies on this side of the pond.

Selwyn

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 71chally said:

Just to clarify, the subject Meteor of this thread is actually an NF.11, WD686.

WK800 is indeed in superb condition, but no designs on being made airworthy.  It's two good engines went to support the Martin Baker Meteors while in storage.

The owner wouldn't have 'took' the cover, it would have come with the package.

Yes it was part of the package the MOD offered, it was not stolen (and not meant in that way) , just preferred over the original lid from WK800 which had been heavily modified I was told. Personally I would have kept the original, but that me. It was on WH453 when offered for disposal and its fits WH453 so no issues there;

lid.jpg

Julien

• Like 1