F-4 Phantom II - Warpaint series No.114

bootneck

F-4 Phantom II

Warpaint Series No.114

warpaint_114_phantom_01a_cover_resized.j

The McDonnell F-4 Phantom II has become both an icon and a legend, with many publications already in print of this famous jet aircraft of the Cold War era.  This latest book, in Guideline Publication’s “Warpaint Series”, covers the McDonnell F-4B and F-4J variants, including their upgrades to F-4N and F-4S respectively, with the RF-4B also being covered.  These variants were used mainly by the United States Navy (USN) and United States Marine Corp (USMC); plus a small number of refurbished F-4J’s, that were sold to Britain and re-designated F-4J(UK) for the Royal Air Force (RAF).   An earlier volume, number 31, covered the F-4K and F-4M versions in British service with the RAF and Fleet Air Arm (FAA).

This book follows the well established and popular layout of the Warpaint Series, the covers are produced in A4 portrait format on glossy soft card, with a drawing and photograph of the subject matter adorning the title on the front.  The history of these variants of the F-4 Phantom II has been written in well researched detail by Charles Stafrace.  This detail that Charles has provided is complemented with full-colour illustrations produced by Richard L. Caruana; each illustration having a short narrative that contains details specific to the aircraft displayed.

Charles starts with a short history of how the F-4 concept came into being, with the attempt by McDonnell to upgrade and improve their F-3H Demon as a possible contender for the next USN fleet jet.  The detail is extensive, wherein he displays an in-depth knowledge of all the F-3 variants that were designed, trialled and tested before the program was accepted and re-designated the F4H-1F (F-4A).  Throughout the 120 pages, including covers, there are over 230 photographs; 202 of which are colour. 

warpaint_114_phantom_05a_resized.jpg

There are 36 illustrations, showing full-colour profiles of specific airframes, are beautifully produced by Richard L. Caruana.  Included among them are three F-4J (UK) versions of No.74 Squadron RAF; plus the now famous F-4B from USS Forrestal, which went unserviceable whilst onboard HMS Ark Royal and had to have her tail repainted before the ship entered Malta in 1972.  Illustrations like these should be of great use to builders of Phantom models.

warpaint_114_phantom_03a_resized.jpg

This book has quite a few datasheets included throughout, an example being five pages dedicated to the aircraft squadrons/wings, home bases and dates in service.  Further lists provide a chronological breakdown of sea-going deployments; by ship and dates etc. 

warpaint_114_phantom_04a_resized.jpg

This very interesting and informative volume come complete with a large 60cm x 30cm double-sided pull-out sheet of plans that have been produced in black and white, again by Richard L. Caruana,  displaying details of the F-4B; F-4J; F-4N; F-4S and RF-4B airframes.  Each aircraft plan and profile is drawn to 1:72 scale.

warpaint_114_phantom_07a_plan_resized.jp

Conclusion
This is a lovely book, it is full of great photo's and profile illustrations of an iconic aircraft.  It has been produced specific to the F-4B and F-4J variants for the USN and USMC, as such this should be welcome by all US Navy/Marine enthusisasts. In addtion, there is additional information and illustrations on the F-4K(UK) for the RAF; therefore this should also be a boon for those interested in 74 Sqn RAF Phantoms.  With 120 pages of data, photo's and plans of the phabulous phantom, I have no hesitation in recommending this for the aviation and naval enthusiast's bookshelf.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

Guideline_logo_400.jpg

• Like 1

I can only speak for myself, as I'm a former kid that once lost his heart for USN Phantoms for good, due to that iconic Revell F-4B kit boxart with a flashy Diamondbacks #8404. That was back in mid -70's and yet even now seeing the very same plane in the second pic of this review made me reaching my wallet... Thanks for the review!

• Like 1