Calling all Tiger I Experts !

Tiger331

Hi Folks,

I'm contemplating a brand new project in a genre that I am very definitely not comfortable with - WWII era Tanks. I want to model one of Otto Carius's Tiger Is that operated in the vicinity of Narva, Estonia in Spring 1944. I believe the sub type was a Ausf H.1 and the unit concerned was PzAbt.502. Grateful if the AFV experts can give me a good steer on the best kit to use and any aftermarket decals that may be available. I understand that Rye Field are currently bringing out a family of Tiger Is and IIRC The Tamiya kit has received lots of complimentary comments over the years.

Thanks in advance     

You are looking  at a Middle production Tiger I, and yes Rye Field has released one in 2016.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1016365-rye-field-model-rm-5010-tiger-i-middle-production

If you can find the Cyber Hobby kit, it also includes the proper markings for his vehicle 'white 217'

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/142346-cyber-hobby-6763-pz-kpfw-vi-ausf-e-tiger-i-mid

Note both links, if you scroll down, display aftermarket items.

regards,

Jack

Hi

Well it depends how accurate you want your kit to be.

Off the shelf or out the box, which ever you want to call it would be either The Rye Field Model or the Dragon/Cyberhobby kit mentioned above. Bear in mind the Rye Field comes with full interior I believe which some have said isn't completely accurate and the Cyberhobby kit was a limited edition white box release, meaning it's no longer available and if it comes up second hand it goes for silly money.

Tamiya do a a version of Otto's Tiger but it isn't as accurate as the other two.

Like I said it depends how accurate you want your model to be.

Alan