0.5mm Airbrush Recommendations Sought

nheather

I currently have two airbrushes

Iwata Eclipse CS (0.35mm and 0.5mm)

Iwata HP-B (0.2mm)

Note, whilst that might sound indulgent, I bought these in the US whilst on business trips and when the pound was worth a good deal more so they cost significant less than UK prices.

You'll notice that I also bought parts to convert the CS to 0.5mm - with the intention that it would mostly be in 0.35 format but if I needed to spray anything heavy (primer, metallic etc.) then I could swap it over to 0.5mm.

But to be honest it is a bit of a faff and I don't like fiddling with my ABs that much so I'm interested in getting a dedicated 0.5mm.

Unfortunately the US trips are a thing of the past so looking for suggestions in the UK.  This is predominantly for primer and base coats on bigger models so not looking for anything special, don't want to spend a lot, but suspicious of the Chinese clones on eBay.  Also finding it quite difficult to find 0.5mm.

Interested in any suggestions.

Cheers,

nigel

If you are looking for a good quality, reasonably priced easy to use area brush with a 0.5mm nozzle, the Sparmax GP-50 springs to mind.

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-gp-50-3724-p.asp

Two large side fed paint cups,  7ml & 15ml,  0.5mm nozzle, preset handle on the back.

It's  progressive double action trigger brush. Pull the trigger back until you feel resistance, this has opened the air valve, pull back more for paint.

Spares are reasonably priced, needles around £7, nozzles around £10

Great value for money at £90 with a 2 year warranty.

We have the 0.35mm version at shows as a demo brush.

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-gp-50-3724-p.asp

Ta,

Paul

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the link.

Good price for an airbrush that would be used a lot (say the 0.35 variant) but more than I was hoping to spend given that I just want it for priming.

Also not sure about the pistol grip - I used to have an Iwata TRN but sold it as I found I didn’t really like the grip style for finer work and getting close to the work - but could work well for priming.

Cheers,

Nigel

For priming and varnishing, I’ve always reached for my single action Badger 200G. It’s fitted with a ‘Medium’ needle and nozzle, no idea on the actual size in mm?

Extremely easy to clean, and very reliable.

Mart

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, LotusArenco said:

For priming and varnishing, I’ve always reached for my single action Badger 200G. It’s fitted with a ‘Medium’ needle and nozzle, no idea on the actual size in mm?

Extremely easy to clean, and very reliable.

Mart

That’s an idea, I think I have a single action Badger packed away in a cupboard somewhere.  Ages old, not sure the model, single action, internal mix,suction feed (bottles and cup), blue metallic back and nut on the back to set the needle opening.

Will have to dig it out and blow the cobwebs off.

how do you tell the needle/nozzle size?

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

4 hours ago, nheather said:

Thanks for the link.

Good price for an airbrush that would be used a lot (say the 0.35 variant) but more than I was hoping to spend given that I just want it for priming.

Also not sure about the pistol grip - I used to have an Iwata TRN but sold it as I found I didn’t really like the grip style for finer work and getting close to the work - but could work well for priming.

Cheers,

Nigel

The TRN is basically the same brush, but with a really poor handle ( looks like it's the wrong way round to me) compared to the Sparmax version.

I don't like the TRN, but love the  Sparmax GP brushes, so comfortable to use.

If price & brush type are he problem  then the Sparmax DH-125 will do the job nicely, side feed cup or bottle, 0.5mm nozzle set

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-dh-125-13907-p.asp

Paul

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, little-cars said:

The TRN is basically the same brush, but with a really poor handle ( looks like it's the wrong way round to me) compared to the Sparmax version.

I don't like the TRN, but love the  Sparmax GP brushes, so comfortable to use.

If price & brush type are he problem  then the Sparmax DH-125 will do the job nicely, side feed cup or bottle, 0.5mm nozzle set

https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/sparmax-dh-125-13907-p.asp

Paul

Yes I had to buy the handle as a £20 extra which I thought was a bit of a cheek as it seems to be fundemental part and comes as standard on the cheaper Iwata Neo.

As for the Sparmax 125, that is a price I would consider, but a little cautious as the internet doesn’t seem to have any reviews other than a couple of videos in Russian and one taken at the Sparmax stand at a show where the representative has a few clogging problems.

Cheers,

Nigel

3 hours ago, nheather said:

Ages old... blue metallic back and nut on the back

how do you tell the needle/nozzle size?

That sounds very much like it’s a 200.

With a bit of google malarkey I came across this

https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/badger-old-style-200

which suggests the ‘medium’ tip is indeed 0.5mm. How you actually tell it’s a medium nozzle/needle is to look at the back of the needle and count the notches, fine – one notch, medium 2 notches.

I’ve used this set-up to shoot anything and everything through the brush, from gloopy Stynylrez to watery old formula Klear.

Mart

• Thanks 1

Sparmax airbrushes all look to be a variation on a theme.  The standard 0.35mm brush is about under many names and with various bells and whistles in the different specs & had been reviewed many times.

The 0.5mm looks to be a just  a variation of that.  What I like about it is that you get a reasonably small side cup for normal work as well as small and large bottles as well as a preset handle.

And it's a fully supported brush & spares are available at reasonable prices.

There is a demo of the brush at SEMA 2017 on youtube, there was a glitch with the brush at the beginning, happens with demo brushes. Soon fixed and shows the brush in use.

Paul  

• Thanks 1

Thanks - do Sparmax make Iwata Neo - I know they have some involvement with the Iwata compressors.

So at the moment I'm looking at three possibilities

Sparmax 125

Iwata Neo BCN

Resurrecting my Badger 200

I don't know whether it is as sensible as it sounds to me but I like the idea of the siphoned feed of the Iwata Neo and the Badger 200 simply because I'm only going to be using it for a few paints and I can keep them in the airbrush bottles ready for use - and less cleaning out.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather

I've got a Sparmax GP-70 which I use exclusively for clear coating. Very nice brush. With a 0.7mm tip. Comfortable  to use and came with side feed cups and bottles. 

But, the brush I'm using for almost all my spraying now is this one.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10411364

Seriously good brush. 0.4mm tip, sprays all paints I've tried beautifully and for what it is, very good value for money. Can't recommend it highly enough.

On 24/03/2018 at 6:00 PM, nheather said:

Thanks - do Sparmax make Iwata Neo - I know they have some involvement with the Iwata compressors.

So at the moment I'm looking at three possibilities

Sparmax 125

Iwata Neo BCN

Resurrecting my Badger 200

I don't know whether it is as sensible as it sounds to me but I like the idea of the siphoned feed of the Iwata Neo and the Badger 200 simply because I'm only going to be using it for a few paints and I can keep them in the airbrush bottles ready for use - and less cleaning out.

Cheers,

Nigel

Sparmax appear to make the parts for the trigger brushes. The original CN & BCN are/were made in China. The CN I  bought as a demo brush never did spray straight !  

Paul

• Thanks 1

If you are looking for a dedicated primer/varnish brush this may hit the spot

I use it for Alclad grey, Stynylwhatever, Alclad aqua gloss and various Gunze lacquer varnishes. It needs a compressor that has a high airflow and you can do worse than check out @Paul Budzik's excellent videos on said subject

If you're US bound, these Iwatas can be had for a reasonable price apparently. I've recently invested in one of these but that's more for furniture , again Paul B's excellent videos helped me understand what HVLP/LVLP , CFM all means etc

Cheers

A

1 hour ago, stalal said:

I have Iwata Revolution for the past decade. I have used it for fine camo paint to overall coat on the model kits. The quality is just awesome and its super reliable. Its cheap too! 

http://www.Iwata/products/iwata-airbrushes/revolution/cr/cr-specs/

Not that cheap over here these days list price is £125 these days and spare nozzles are £25.

Paul

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, little-cars said:

Not that cheap over here these days list price is £125 these days and spare nozzles are £25.

Paul

Yes that is the point I’m looking for something cheaper but respectable and maintainable.

I bought two Iwatas when I was in the US.  They are pretty cheap in the US because you can import them from Japan (they even have Japanese sellers with Amazon US fulfilment).  You can also readily get 40% vouchers for HobbyLobby - their prices are RRP to start but when you take 40% off they become pretty cheap.

This is one of the reasons why Iwata gets so much recommendation from US modellers.  For example in the UK  the H&S vs Iwata choice is quite a dilemma but in the US it is much easier because you can almost get two Iwatas for the price of an H&S.

I have a spare part inbound for my Badger 200, if that sorts out the problem I will stick with that but if not I shall most likely go with the Sparmax.

Cheers,

Nigel

Edited by nheather
  • Thanks 1