Nakajima Newbie - Airfix 1/72 B5N2 'Kate'

planecrazee

So as I mentioned in the GB Chat, I've never built a Japanese aircraft to date, despite having been modelling for many years.  I have about 3 in the stash but had just never got round to getting one on the bench - so with the Carrier GB afoot I thought this would be a perfect baptism of fire for me.

I've decided to go with the following kit with this being one of Airfix's more recent new toolings.  It's full of detail and should be great kit to start my foray into Japanese types.  Here she is:

a04058_3d_box.jpg

So here goes and wish me luck - hopefully I won't let the side down for all those fans of Japanese aircraft.

Thanks

Kris

• Like 8

welcome aboard Kris, and it's good to see one of these in the GB, they were an important aircraft for the IJN.

Well be nice to follow this build.

Good luck with the build and glad you could join us.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm now up and running working on the Kate since the end of the BM 10th Anniversary GB.  I've made progress on all the interior and have now basically got a completed tub and fuselage ready to be fastened up.  The only thing that will need added is the rear machine gun.  This is a really detailed model for the scale and I think Airfix have done a cracking job in squeezing as much as possible in to a small space.  The only addition I've made to the kit OOB are some PE seatbelts.  So here's where I am at the moment:

DSC00389

DSC00388

DSC00387

• Like 5

wow that interior looks great! I had to go back and recheck the scale, you're right Airfix has done a lovely job with the detailing inside the cockpit. Plus with the large canopy area most of that lovely detail won't be lost, or too badly lost.

• Like 1