1/700 HMAS Vampire - Maritime modelling newbee

Fitzy

Hi Guys, Well this is a number of firsts for me......First Ship (Normally Aircraft and Armour), First Resin kit (ouch) and First water base (although I have been practicing different methods for a couple of weeks) .  I have ordered 3 models 1/700, 1/600 and 1/650 with the intent to utilise the 600 and 700 to develop and learn.  They are all HMAS Daring Class destroyers with the intention that the 1/650 will be completed as HMAS Voyager which was tragically lost on the night of 10 February 1964 after a collision with the aircraft  carrier HMAS Melbourne.   This resonates with me as my Uncle perished that night on the Voyager with 81 other sailors.  Understandably I want to do as good a job of it as possible and sincerely seek your encouragement, comments (good and bad) as well as any advice, tips and tricks from my fellow modellers as I progress with this project.  I have ordered 1/700 and 1/650 rails, metal barrels plus a photo etch bending tool. This is the first cut with only a little photo etch for radar, antenna array and some bracing.  Once assembled I undercoated with flat black to give some shading and a little depth, brushed painted the domes, radar, antenna and guns.  The flaws are so evident and numerous with resin in this scale...advice?  

58411acc-d6c3-4689-af33-dc88db3f0440.jpgdda8c2b4-09eb-4434-832d-94df460a0973.jpgb5e3e222-62cc-4875-899f-0e3c52b723bf.jpg61b2b267-4738-4328-ba0c-fd5a57896fa7.jpgaa21e4e2-d9f4-447f-bbe7-082a4ca5572a.jpg1139b151-be48-4651-b6b5-c14440956827.jpgbf6ee855-5d21-4624-bef3-779ba3abd3db.jpg7d2bbedc-0887-457e-a600-f8f74c939b21.jpgabd2f983-0056-4eb6-9706-6d29682d908b.jpg

• Like 6

Looks good to me!

Gun barrels a bit too thick perhaps? Realatively small scale though so there’s a practical limit.

Nice to see some more Aussie stuff.

Sorry to hear about your uncle, a pretty shocking episode really! 🙁

I have been quite fancying building the OzMods kit of HMAS Vampire since I visited her at the Maritime Museum when I passed through Sydney a couple of years ago. I have seen these kits on e-bay and always wondered what they are like so I am very interested in this build. :thumbsup:

Considering this is your first outing with a resin kit at such a small scale you have done very well. I find that much depends on the manufacturer when it comes to the quality of mouldings and at first look this doesn't appear too bad. Nothing that a bit of careful tidying and minor filling won't fix. Much depends on your own inclination when it comes to detail. I'm afraid I am not a good person to ask on that front as I tend to like adding lots of detail. 

The loss of Voyager was awful and avoidable and should never be forgotten. :poppy:

Edited by Paul E
Grammar
  • Like 2

Thanks for the comments guys, I think being my first ship I have rushed the prep and assembly :(.  The pictures have certainly highlighted  my lack of parts preparation prior to fitting so I am going to step back "gently remove" the turrets and guns replacing the AA with wire and the main with either stretched sprue or thin metal wire at an appropriate gauge.  The fitting of railings is a must so photo etch ordered.   :)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Fitzy said:

Thanks for the comments guys, I think being my first ship I have rushed the prep and assembly :(.  The pictures have certainly highlighted  my lack of parts preparation prior to fitting so I am going to step back "gently remove" the turrets and guns replacing the AA with wire and the main with either stretched sprue or thin metal wire at an appropriate gauge.  The fitting of railings is a must so photo etch ordered.   :)

LOL and when you have finished that you can come and finish mine

• Haha 2

Hi guys nice learning curve not to get too ambitious with 1/700 and keep it clean.  I was starting to dig a hole trying to fix my errors so decided to cut it there and finish it up.    Very happy with the base though :) Will appreciate this  experience working with resin going forward onto the 1/600.  Cheers 42b4a7f4-ab6b-4ad3-b482-ec011ca75494.jpg23efeec4-fb1b-46d9-a39e-6e7dbac58a8c.jpg

• Like 1