McDonnell F4J Phantom VF 31 Tomcatters

LDSModeller

Hi All,

Had a look through all the Awesome Builds ready to start here on this Group Build,

and I had been Umming and Argging about my Build Choice when the penny dropped:P

There's no (yet) F4 Phantom build!! So it was decidedB)

I plan to build an F4J Phantom of VF 31 Tomcatters which (AFAIK) was the only F4 in VF 31 to score

a MIG Kill in the Vietnam War. I Plan to build mostly OOB (no AMS on this one) but with Aftermarket Decals.

The Kit

It's old, but is really nice (to me any way) , some flash but nothing a sharp #11 blade won't handle.

Box Art

9f8742c7-cb8c-455f-938e-71c1c1291a92.jpg

Sprues (She's a big  kit even in 1/48)

98cb337b-a8e3-4896-941b-94dcfa714dd3.jpg

64c6d84e-56ac-4c82-99c1-4116e581befa.jpg

7fb00f82-8155-4981-af48-3f6a91544c64.jpg

Instructions - Well laid out, typical of Monogram Kits I have built previous

fcbae2b5-2575-4922-a8cb-87aad17cdde1.jpg

b99890dd-677a-4694-9210-6ccfc6549aa1.jpg

Kit Decals

0c8a424f-30bb-4acb-9795-56c542977a13.jpg

Aftermarket - SuperScale - I cannot verify the true accuracy, but in looking a a Colour Photo of a VF 31 Phantom

in the link below, they look good IMHO

37b02bc2-2965-4285-8ec6-43efa30d38dc.jpg

06bc4013-358b-4391-b8a5-2e9dc5a4425c.jpg

83d5b932-6756-4a18-aaeb-c47f3ef1a32e.jpg

Link to a VF 31 Phantom (Possibly the CAG's Bird)

VF 31 Phantom

Thanks for looking in, and looking forward to  "Launching" this GB off the bow:lol:

Regards

Alan

• Like 14

welcome aboard Alan and it's nice to finally see a Phantom in the GB!

I actually thought it would have been a favourite here, I know there are many fans in this sight, plus some awesome new models out, especially Zoukie Mura's range of 1/48th F-4's! Plus I would have though a RN Phantom would have been a definite as well!

Well glad you could join us, good luck with the build, I know there'll be quite a bit of interest in this build and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

Good choice! A classic Monogram kit. Well detailed even if the rear cockpit is wrong. Has the C/D consoles whereas USN B/J/N/S has a different layout. Monogram have a strange layout wit their intakes but it’s a good kit. Oh and the centre line gun pod wasn’t used by the USN. 

On 3/23/2018 at 1:49 PM, trickyrich said:

welcome aboard Alan and it's nice to finally see a Phantom in the GB!

I actually thought it would have been a favourite here, I know there are many fans in this sight, plus some awesome new models out, especially Zoukie Mura's range of 1/48th F-4's! Plus I would have though a RN Phantom would have been a definite as well!

Well glad you could join us, good luck with the build, I know there'll be quite a bit of interest in this build and look forward to seeing her in the gallery. 

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the welcome ^_^ Looking forward to this build,  It's late Saturday night (March 24) here in Auckland, had thought of kicking off 12 hours before

everyone else:lol:...... Look forward to adding paint and glue.

40 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

Good choice! A classic Monogram kit. Well detailed even if the rear cockpit is wrong. Has the C/D consoles whereas USN B/J/N/S has a different layout. Monogram have a strange layout wit their intakes but it’s a good kit. Oh and the centre line gun pod wasn’t used by the USN. 

Thanks, yes it is a nice kit.  I knew the rear cockpit is incorrect, I have found some photos, so I'll see what I can do to rectify it.

I believe it has the Wing Bulges for the J version larger Wheels.

Thankfully Monogram thought to include the slatted tail planes.

Yes, thanks,  I was aware about the Centre line gun pod.

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the welcome ^_^ Looking forward to this build,  It's late Saturday night (March 24) here in Auckland, had thought of kicking off 12 hours before

everyone else:lol:...... Look forward to adding paint and glue.

Thanks, yes it is a nice kit.  I knew the rear cockpit is incorrect, I have found some photos, so I'll see what I can do to rectify it.

I believe it has the Wing Bulges for the J version larger Wheels.

Thankfully Monogram thought to include the slatted tail planes.

Yes, thanks,  I was aware about the Centre line gun pod.

Regards

Alan

That`s correct, the only variants of the Phantom that had a "thin" wing was the B/N amd RF-4B. All others has the bulged wheel well wing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Well after a hectic couple of weeks, plastic has been cut, glue and paint applied ^_^

So before I show my recent attempts, some updates on my particular Squadron/Aircraft.

The Yellow surround around "Felix" is post Vietnam (circa 1978ish) and from Wiki.

VF 31 Tomcatters F4J circa 1978

This link shows the aircraft selection from decals (from Pintrest).

VF 31 F4J

VF 31 F4J with MIG kill

The one thing ( and I wish it did) is the the decal sheet does not have the "MIG Eater" motif on the forward gear door;)

The F4J as far as I can find, had 3 or 4 different cockpit types, I found this excellent site posted by

another Britmodeller in their build, which shows the types in the link below.

F4J Cockpits

The one I have chosen (more from AC serial range) is the second set of layouts to use as  guide

for my RIO's suite.

F4J RIO Suite

Looking at the model kits rendition of the  RIO's Inst panel, some of it is correct some not, but I will fix as close to, without

going all AMS.

I also found this photo on Pintrest

RIO Suite

Anyway enough babble.... Photo time,  only a few at present.

I have added a floor extension to the RIO's suite and card to close up the "Hole" in the forward section.

5a3b2278-162a-42fe-aabc-3ecd4d56aa83.jpg

I have started painting the "Bang" seats (Yes, still more to paint including the black on the handles) - nothing glued in

as yet though.

72d15d73-3574-4429-baef-260fcf61578d.jpg

Excellent site for Ejection seats

Ejection Seat site

This photo show where I have shaved/chiselled off the Starboard side "relief" of the RIO cockpit.

9f51b1d3-2fa2-4832-9864-a7cfd55152d0.jpg

Finally removing the very large amount of flash from the starboard fuselage side (slowly does it!!).

d767ee45-f6d4-4afe-b747-c653434759ab.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Regards

Alan

• Like 3

nice start Alan, it'll be nice to see how you "update" one of these older models.

That's some good reference material you found I may have to book mark that myself.

Block numbers!!!! I still nightmares about the F-16 ones! :door:

You had me at VF-31...but adding a F-4J? Wonderful!

Will follow with great interest.

By the way, that Superscale sheet is getting a little hard to come by now. Isn't there any chance that Furball or someone will produce new VF-31 decals?

With all the Zoukei-Moura, Academy and Edaurd F-4J:s out there there should be some interest surely?

• 1 month later...

Hi Alan

Have you had a chance to do any more work on your Phantom ?

Lots of us have this kit lurking in the stash, or variations of it, so we need you to show us all the potential pitfalls and more importantly the solutions.

So no pressure then ! :popcorn:

cheer Pat

15 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Alan

Have you had a chance to do any more work on your Phantom ?

Lots of us have this kit lurking in the stash, or variations of it, so we need you to show us all the potential pitfalls and more importantly the solutions.

So no pressure then ! :popcorn:

cheer Pat

Hi Pat,

Apologies for no update, I decided to bite the bullet and buy two new Aires seats for the F4.

I have been checking the mail box each day and nothing??? It's a bit pointless me doing anything,

until I get these resin seats, as it will require a bit of "Rear Office" reconstruction, and I can't do much more

until I complete the cockpit (Yes I admit the OCD got the better of me :bristow: ).

Hopefully soon (Fingers crossed :tumble:)

Regards

Alan

• Like 1