1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

thanks chaps :)

..bit more done this weekend..

..the First Aid kit and gunsight pad were made from milliput and lead wire, with brass for the straps (as they are held taught and need to loom like it..)

..I am not good at organic things like this..

WIP1151_zpsmj7xlyvo.jpg

..painted up and although not great, I think they will have to do..

WIP1152_zpsksjrouef.jpg

WIP1153_zpselk2xec0.jpg

..then moved on to the side and upper windows - all the catches & latches were prepared and two tiny pins added so I can pin one to the other at the right angle..  it has been a fraught day as I HATE working with transparencies - the knife edge of a terminal cock-up being so easy to do just frays my nerves..

WIP1154_zpszcfp6haa.jpg

WIP1155_zps7bqaukwm.jpg

..I had left the protective film on so it was fairly straightforward to prep them and paint them..

..also weathered a bit by rubbing wire wool and scuffing them a bit..

WIP1156_zpsezpvphtv.jpg

..and with the film removed - there is a flaw in the top canopy where it didn't like bending to shape that has only been seen now the covers are off, but it just looks like a small crack so I am going to have to live with it..

WIP1157_zps5h7c6isv.jpg

..and pinned together..

WIP1158_zpsuotzy9gn.jpg

..a few more bits need adding like hinges and some rubbing pads, but this is pretty much done so a quick dry fit..

..the First Aid kit looks ok I guess..

WIP1159_zpszpxqtiw6.jpg

WIP1160_zpshljsxvbq.jpg

WIP1161_zpsmr4w9mg6.jpg

WIP1162_zpsh4co1jhx.jpg

WIP1163_zps9l7gq4bl.jpg

WIP1164_zps1aoy8sol.jpg

that's it for now..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, airscale said:

..I am not good at organic things like this

Could have fooled me!

56 minutes ago, airscale said:

.the First Aid kit looks ok I guess..

If I could scratch like that Peter, I’d have more itches :D 

Superb - well up to your usual realism. 

• Like 1

thanks chaps :)

..so, as I said before it's the bitty stage in trying to get around the airframe in a logical order and get it finished,

..I covered the whole model and sub assemblies in flory wash and wiped down to give some definition to the rivet & panel detail (especially on the painted wings)..

WIP1172_zpsrs3bmigg.jpg

I removed the decal stencils and replaced them with rub down ones I had custom made - £60 for an A5 sheet so not cheap, but then a great improvement over the unavoidable decal film on natural aluminium..

WIP1173_zpsklooan4s.jpg

..these gun panels will be weathered & chipped when it's on it's wheels..

WIP1175_zpsprujardl.jpg

..this vent door was added, the larger rear one will follow when I have finished the landing gear & doors..

WIP1167_zpsjik7klne.jpg

..the cockpit sill was added and the canopy panel that hangs here finished..

WIP1174_zpst1kcmizf.jpg

..massive moment - the landing gear legs were fixed with JB Weld - funny story, about an hour after fitting them when the model was in a jig, I walked past it and thought 'I will just check a photo to make sure it's right' - well I looked and I had mounted them the wrong way around with the torque links facing forwards! A mad panic ensued, but as JB Weld takes 5 hours to cure I could just re-do them correctly (Thank God..)..

WIP1166_zpsjcbaxi3x.jpg

..the inner gear door hinges were fabricated and added - they are the two black structures on the centre rib at the top of each end..

WIP1165_zpsoagyzsnh.jpg

..the corresponding lugs were added to the doors..

WIP1169_zpsi44acxee.jpg

WIP1168_zpsqnp9sydd.jpg

..and the doors were hung... I know there is a debate about having these up or down on the ground, but I made them and everything under them so I want to be able to see it - so these are down

..you can also see the retracting link assembly on the right connected to the door and piston, and a cable with fixings on the left which I assume stops them opening too far (?) although they are loose like this in refs I have so maybe not..

WIP1171_zpscy0yl4he.jpg

WIP1170_zpsmmcgt0oc.jpg

WIP1176_zps44yddiur.jpg

..outer doors next, and as I found I have a load of leave to take from my day job before April 1st, I hope to have it finshed by the end of the month

TTFN

Peter

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

afternoon ladies :)

..so with a few days off, it seems like I have powered through a lot of the 'to do' list..

...the main job was getting the model on it's undercarriage and getting the gear doors on - I made up the big links the hold them on and spent ages getting it all to line up - hopefully the sit is right..

WIP1180_zpstgbglfnh.jpg

WIP1188_zpsnixcszcs.jpg

..also the tailwheel & doors were added with the retraction links and the aerial loop on the rear fuselage..

WIP1182_zpsjqhixbqb.jpg

..then the prop and flaps..

WIP1184_zpsfxmnkdex.jpg

..and it's ready for a quick walk around - the canopy parts are not fitted so are just resting (badly..)...

WIP1181_zpsll8v7o8f.jpg

WIP1178_zps6uyysusb.jpg

WIP1183_zps1sefqrvi.jpg

WIP1186_zpsdxstoijj.jpg

WIP1185_zpsbpje73ef.jpg

WIP1189_zpsmei2tkvb.jpg

WIP1187_zps3axccpzh.jpg

WIP1190_zpshcio7ycu.jpg

..any comments on the 'sit' or any of the details if they look off, please don't be shy - say something here. I am aware the P51 is so iconic that it must look bang on to pull it off..

..I still have to make the elevators, sort the other aerial and make the wing drop tanks (plus light weathering) so still some to go

TTFN

Peter

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

First, please allow me to qualify by stating: I am building a super detailed version of Guillow’s P-51D variant.  My skills are no where near yours..

I have a special edition of a publication called “Mustang” put out by (I think) Challenge Publication.  In this issue there’s a large article complete with dozens of detailed photos of Lope’s Hope.  I’ll look through this magazine & many other pictures from various sources & give you an honest assessment.  

However, at this point my personal opinion is your model is truly outstanding, a work of art of the highest accolade one can convey & one from which I’ve drawn much inspiration to pursue onward my own project despite being somewhat discouraged at times when comparing to yours.   
Gary 

Edited by Skyediamonds
  • Like 2

Peter;

I simpy don't have the words. This is just way beyond modelling. It's only just short of building the real thing. So glad you're updating here as I'm not really on LSP anymore, so this is a joy to see. Will we get a photo of it alongside the Spit at some point?

Great save on the UC legs. That must have been a grey hair moment....Oh, and the sit of the aircraft is just spot on. It's beautiful.

Steve

There's really not much between that and the real thing. When you think you started with a big lump of glass fibre, it's really quite astonishing what you've managed to achieve - again!

Alan

Well Peter:

I've searched a few pictures and compared them to your marvelous Mustang.  A conundrum that befalls to many excellent artist's efforts in duplicating the original into a model in exact form is ability to defy human limitation and having enough information such as photos & drawings to cover every aspects of that particular aircraft and freeze it at that particular time.  For example:  I thought perhaps here on your model there was too much "dippling" along the trailing edge of the flaps.  Yet, as I observed the photos from many other Mustangs they too, have this same "dippling" and yet still others don't appear to have any at all despite the presence of rivets in their respective locations.  In the absence of having photographic proof of Lope's Hope's flaps, one can only go by speculation and guess what the style of that restoration accomplished. 

'

Another possible issue, would be the propeller spinner.  The full sized article seems to have more of a pronounced " milling or lathe" appearance.  At first, I thought it might be the way light was shining on the spinner.  But again, the photos of  this "reaming" effect is very pronounced as the aircraft sits on the ground and in flight..  

The only other observation would be what appears to be taped edges along the oil cooler ports and the surrounding surface panels.  I don't know if they were .ultimately removed or they were only there temporarily.  But again, both pictures of the aircraft on the ground and in flight show this.

I don't know how to post photos on this site.  I tried, but a box pops out saying "Post from URL" whatever that meant.  I tried to take photos of the full sized Mustangs on my cell and uploaded them to my laptop and then stored them in a folder.  I also tried to enclosed some photos from the magazine "Mustang" featuring Lope's Hope on the front cover, but just don't know the steps to take.  

I'm in the same situation as you in trying to duplicate a Guillow's Mustang in 1/15th scale as Big Beautiful Doll,, but my skills are far from approaching anywhere near your level.   But I try to do the best I can with what limitations, skills and documentation I have.  Along the way, I've become my own worst enemy and I'm very critical of my work.  That's why I mentioned in my previous texts that I get discouraged when comparing your marvelous work of art to mine.  So you asked for an open and honest observation and I trust my writings will be received with an open mind as one fellow modeler to another..

To summarize:  You've done a fantastic job.  I've never seen anyone else approach such skills as yours.  I'm both happy and envious.  Congratulations.

Gary

Edited by Skyediamonds
  • Like 1