1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

evening ladies :)

so, it's been raining all day here, so what better excuse that to spend the day at the bench :)

here is the task - something else I have been quietly dreading as it's so distinctive...

WIP1042_zpsdsyzbrbs.jpg

..the B/C doors are very different to the D, so this pic of Lopes Hope is super valuable reference..

I started by getting the PE templates I had made a while back along with lots of other bits & bobs after scaling the drawings - once I had these I made up laminates of sheet stock until I had the thickness right and dremmeled out the wheel disc and started to prepare the indentations...

WIP1043_zpscljylesa.jpg

..further refining the shapes and a quick test to see how the skin responds to the plastic core shapes..  seems ok so we press on...

WIP1044_zpsyicfv53z.jpg

..once the core is finished and has cutouts for the retraction arm etc added, it was lightly CA'd to a perspex sheet to start the skinning process...

WIP1045_zpsjgli8h4n.jpg

..after one try where I split the sheet, I CA'd the core to the PE door template and then CA'd that to the perspex - after working it some details start to be added..

WIP1046_zpsgksn4c5y.jpg

..the sheet was then removed from the core so the raised rivets can be added..

WIP1047_zpsbpy0ohyu.jpg

..the outer skins were made up..

WIP1048_zpsu73t2qvt.jpg

,,and after making the covering strip & painting it, the doors were assembled & detailed with brackets etc..

WIP1049_zpswl9eeucx.jpg

WIP1050_zpsgckoyupd.jpg

..this side has a strut mount in a semi-circualr indent..

WIP1051_zpsajvx6dba.jpg

,,and this side has the retraction strut mount..

WIP1052_zpsfq1kgvni.jpg

,and in place will look something like this..

WIP1053_zps0et2lgul.jpg

WIP1054_zpsa8xr0hh0.jpg

..thats it for now, lets hope it rains again tomorrow :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2

thanks chaps - much appreciated :)

landing gear then...

..I started with the lower castings as these are probably the hardest part - made a spigot for the wheel, the bent fork and the collar that is at the bottom of the strut from brass on my lathe..

WIP1057_zpshubhpwtp.jpg

,,these were soldered as they carry all the weight and the main legs turned from brass... the compression strut was a polished steel rod I got on ebay..

WIP1058_zpsxjxzm2dx.jpg

..then all the mountings for the torsion links and other bits and bobs were added - the strut assembly was glued with epoxy adhesive, the rest of the bits with CA..

WIP1060_zpsvyoxo5lh.jpg

..the torsion links were made upfrom brass tube, an inner litho shape (I wish I had photo-etched earlier) and plastic card for the casting sides..

..the ends were glued while on a quick jig from rod so there are no surprises later...

WIP1059_zpsmyx0q1k3.jpg

..using pins to align the torsion links so I can add the mounts to the upper strut - I don't want them fitted until after painting..

WIP1061_zpshxqmou6q.jpg

..then both struts were prepared for a shot of a silver/white enamel mix... I didn't have the right alclad to hand so I must get some at Telford next weekend :)

WIP1062_zpscy9nbtmo.jpg

..once painted & assembled I added the brake line, but there are two much finer rigid lines that run up the leg and down the fork that I will have to add once the gear is in place as one goes in the wheel hub (I think) and the other up into the U/C bay..

WIP1064_zpsyn1dlzgr.jpg

WIP1065_zps6dncq3kv.jpg

..the 3D printed wheels were cleaned up, painted & dirtied a bit.. (thanks Tim)

WIP1063_zpseajazqns.jpg

..and a dry fit..

WIP1066_zpsjxh2gpdx.jpg

WIP1067_zpsbqxxdh5k.jpg

..and for the first time it is on it's wheels..

WIP1056_zpsdnfwitm5.jpg

...outer doors next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Christ on a bike it’s beautiful! I find your builds mesmerising and baffling. Your like the modelling equivalent of Bob Ross, couple of smudges, odd flick of a pallet knife and bang, a mountain scape.... but in your case, an undercarriage to a mustang. 

Rob

• Like 1

12 pages in and I've only just seen this: followed your Spitfire with awed admiration; this one seems to have raised the bar even further! One major issue I have however: I'm having trouble working out which images are the model and which are the real thing. 👍;)

• Like 1

thanks chaps :)

6 hours ago, brianthemodeller said:

What he said (I think)!

i have just spent a contented couple of hours catching up (can’t believe I haven’t picked up this thread before).

Will you be displaying at Telford this year?

Hi Brian - no, it is too near completion really, so I am going to save it for next year when it is finished...

this one will be though 😋

18_zps1zjktzt3.jpg

Peter

• Like 7

Great job!  Beautiful Spitfire!  I can (now) understand why there were so many people talking about the Spitfire.  Can you post a few more pics of the Spitfire?  

I’m watching & learning with interest in your progress with the landing gears to the Mustang.  Thank you for showing us all how you created them.

Gary

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skyediamonds said:

You mentioned Airscale as your source for placards.  By any chance do you have a link?  Are they still in business?

I believe Peter is Airscale so I'm guessing he can help! 

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

K5054;

I read one of his previous posts, but cannot remember for the Life of me which one, whether it is Lope’s Hope or the Spitfire (that was so graciously Linked on post #  290 by brianthemodeler); but I do recall Peter mentioning something in his post of using “Airscale” as his source for decals of data plates and elsewhere for decals.  However, in the context of the way you responded to my inquiry, I totally agree with you that Peter & Airscale are one & the same.  He’s incredible.

Edited by Skyediamonds
  • Like 1

Hi folks :)

Yes, I am airscale as in the cockpit aftermarket airscale and yes, we are very much still in business :) @Skyediamonds our website is www.airscale.co.uk - take a look around :)

So Telford was great, really enjoyed it and we did very well on our stand - thanks to those who dropped by :)

Since being back, I have managed a few bits & bobs - first the outer gear doors..

I made blanks of the doors in rigid nickel silver and fashioned the internal pressing shape from 3mm plastic card - it is profiled in many different directions and is actually quite a complex shape...

WIP1071_zps7urvbaam.jpg

..these were then fitted and litho annealed and formed around them...

WIP1074_zpsknjgfieu.jpg

..and completed with the mounts for the lugs that fit to the leg, and the sealing strip along the bottom edge..

WIP1072_zpsleujfo7t.jpg

WIP1073_zpscymvbbcv.jpg

..then it was on to some wing bits & bobs.. the guns were fitted..

WIP1080_zpsevd2kw1c.jpg

WIP1079_zpsvnpdgc0j.jpg

..they are just dry fitted for now, so some fettling to do..

then onto the wing nav lights - these were shaped & polished from perspex samples - the blue is a bit dark, but it's all I have... also added the wing stiffeners near the ailerons on the upper wing, though some of the alclad came off with the tape I used to mount them so they need respraying..

upper side..

WIP1075_zpshguh8e31.jpg

lower side...

WIP1078_zpsefrgbzcc.jpg

WIP1076_zpsy4wvzavt.jpg

WIP1077_zpszgqh3qcv.jpg

..have also finished the spinner & prepped & painted the prop blades so hope to have the prop done next..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1