1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

Hi folks :)

having finished the upper cowl panels, it was time to move below, the first one to set down was marked out with 3mm tamiya tape to allow another masking tape template to be made of just the straight rear edge...

WIP987_zpsr33wxs90.jpg

..once that was done the panel was burnished down to the front defining edge and cut out - her it is once it has been fixed down and some of the fasteners added..

WIP988_zpszswjaurc.jpg

..then the remaining fasteners & rivets and a hatch was added..

WIP989_zpslfv50nld.jpg

..I was going to do the panel forward of this one which has the distinctive small air intake panels with lots of holes, but found the PE ones I had made are not scaled correctly as they are too big so PPD are running me up another set - as such I did the panel behind it instead and will complete it when the PE arrives..

WIP997_zpsvgnlbr4l.jpg

..while waiting for the PE I decided to prepare & paint the wings so I can work on all the wing fillet panels - these had already been etch primed months ago so were cleaned up and sprayed with alclad white aluminium...  I was a bit worried about the fragility of the alclad paint, but after a gentle wire wolling to get rid of the dusty finish, it seems to be ok with some tape tests I have done - I have had it in the past where tape just pulls up or damages the finish..

WIP990_zpsjf28mpzw.jpg

WIP991_zpsqnxdbpzk.jpg

..with that done, the rearmost fillet was planned - it looks like this and is not only a signature shape, but full of compound curves... thankfully it's in two parts - upper & lower and the seam can be seen - it's actually a weld, but I haven't figured out how to represent it..

WIP993_zpsasci0tyh.jpg

..using drawings I made the upper shape and worked this into shape across the fillet to get the three dimensional shape..

WIP992_zpswpm2zukj.jpg

..and eventually both upper & lower were added to the model...

WIP994_zpslcx9ev57.jpg

WIP996_zpsc9rgtet5.jpg

WIP995_zpsgrnhtowp.jpg

...the fillet right at the front on the leading edge looks really difficult so back when I have worked that out

TTFN
Peter

• Like 10

Peter,

Agsin, your build is an inspiration for me to pursue modeling my Guillow’s Mustang to a level I never thought of attempting before.

Just one request: can you recommend a company (PPD?), That does customized photo etchings?  There email or website?  

Thanking you you again for the riveting tool set.

Gary

• Like 1

Peter,

I observed how neatly & evenly your rivets are spaced.  By any chance do you also use a pounce wheel?  That is what I’m currently using for the Guillow's Mustang project.  At this point, I’m only practicing with the wheel, but the results look promising.

Gary

• Like 1

I've just gone back through this whole thread - please change my status to "Gobsmacked!"

If I band together with a few of my friends and we send you a Merlin and a shipping container full of aluminium, would you build us a 1:1, flying version, please? Surely it would be easier than faffing about with this small scale stuff!

Dave

• Like 1

thank you folks - you are too kind :)

On 9/22/2019 at 8:23 PM, Skyediamonds said:

Peter,

Agsin, your build is an inspiration for me to pursue modeling my Guillow’s Mustang to a level I never thought of attempting before.

Just one request: can you recommend a company (PPD?), That does customized photo etchings?  There email or website?  

Thanking you you again for the riveting tool set.

Gary

Hi Gary, yes they are in Scotland and can do bespoke PE if you have vector artwork in the format they work to - I guess an A4 sheet is about £50 GBP with delivery in the UK - here is the link..

On 9/22/2019 at 8:34 PM, Skyediamonds said:

Peter,

I observed how neatly & evenly your rivets are spaced.  By any chance do you also use a pounce wheel?  That is what I’m currently using for the Guillow's Mustang project.  At this point, I’m only practicing with the wheel, but the results look promising.

Gary

Hi Gary - no I do them one by one using a home made PE spacing template in stainless steel - millions of them.. it can give you repetitive strain injury pretty quickly :)

carrying on with the wing fillets - the borders are laid out with tape to rub soft metal into to get the shapes in 3D after translating the plan profiles..

WIP998_zpselp1rd9j.jpg

..taped down & burnishing..

WIP999_zpsajwsc1tn.jpg

..the forwardmost fillet is one piece and very difficult - there was nothing for it but to have a go at bashing some ali into shape - itv soon kinked and creased and took a lot of work to get even half right...

WIP1000_zpsetjewdap.jpg

..you can see here how the material just wouldn't do what was needed and split in one place - no matter I thought I could let in a piece here - this had any inner creases filed down to give it the best chance of truly flattening out when fixed..

WIP1001_zps65azdmk3.jpg

..still working it..

WIP1002_zps94f2k5zl.jpg

..and finished & with fixings.. it's not perfect, but good enough for me..

WIP1003_zpsfxzq69ub.jpg

..same on the other side..

WIP1005_zpssgmn3itx.jpg

..the PE arrived for the front vents so I could do this panel too - another tricky one..

..first step was to add the vent structure and then make the front seam of the panel meet the nose intake casting... the rest of the panel lines could be dealt with with overlaps being removed..

WIP1006_zpsdg1sipjm.jpg

..with both panels & the vents added..,. the fasteners are added, but not yet all the riveting..

WIP1007_zpskczpuasf.jpg

WIP1008_zpstj6ccdmd.jpg

WIP1009_zpsdot3bobl.jpg

..and the nose is pretty much coming together..

WIP1010_zpsbnsdjcn9.jpg

WIP1013_zpszne1jvhf.jpg

WIP1012_zpsbip1joct.jpg

WIP1011_zpsywdeog9h.jpg

..still lots to do despite it looking quite complete...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Peter,

Thank You very much for the Link to photo etchings & like everyone else, I applaud you for your dedication to perfection as humanly possible in replication of the Mustang in model form “from scratch.”  That’s the key phrase right there.   No plastic kit, but from scratch.   Just outstanding!

Gary

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

thank you my friends :)

been away on business a bit so not much done, but I guess enough for an episode..

..ailerons...

lets take a look - see how there are both raised & indented rivets... there is also what looks like an overlapping panel at the forward half of the aileron (forward of the trim tab) so I thought I would make a folded metal part with the raised rivets, and add the other panel on top with indented rivets..

WIP1014_zpsorhwnhis.jpg

..I started by adding both sides of the drawing together to get what it would be if folded out flat and pinpricked where the raised rivets were - also scored the trim tab...

WIP1015_zpslnij812u.jpg

..then after turning it over and adding the raised rivets, i folded it and folded the leading edges to get the inner (and main) part of the aileron

WIP1016_zpsd86kdlxw.jpg

..then I made and rivetted the overlapping panel, also folding down the leading edges..

WIP1017_zpsscjasuri.jpg

..a thick plastic card spar was then added and once I had made both ailerons, they were filled with Alec Tiranti expanding foam - this stuff goes rock hard and was actually a bit of ballache to clean out of the open end where the aileron meets the flaps..

WIP1018_zpsjh9zd71z.jpg

..with both done, I started removing the trim tabs - these were waste - I made new ones with raised rivets..

WIP1019_zpsim3ebza4.jpg

..soon both were completed..

WIP1021_zpsolrsln2g.jpg

WIP1020_zps86w7p48f.jpg

..the exposed end seen because the flaps are down was detailed according to pictures & drawings..

WIP1022_zpsyhwttwsr.jpg

..and with two fixing rods fixed into the leading edges, they were mounted to the wings - I might live to regret this but the wingtip fairings after profiling to neatly fit the ailerons were getting really fragile and will break so hopefully this will protect them..

WIP1025_zpshwtpbhhz.jpg

WIP1024_zpswvmh0doo.jpg

WIP1023_zpsfqxybfku.jpg

..Flaps next - they are an interesting, if similar structure..

WIP1026_zpsjaejkwfv.jpg

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10

hello again :)

so while I can't fit them yet, I wanted to get the flaps built up..

I used the same principle as the ailerons in that an inner core with raised rivets was made and then skinned with panels with normal rivets - you can see the raised rivets on the trailing edge in this shot...

WIP1026_zpsjaejkwfv.jpg

..the first thing was to get the drawings into the overall 'folded out' shape along with the rivet markings - the raised ones are in threes along the trailing edge. there are also cutouts & shapes along the leading edge which curves under the wing trailing edge..

WIP1027_zpshttw62gl.jpg

..I always work in pairs if twothings need doing, so I don't do one and get bored doing the other, so bothe were made and folded..

WIP1028_zpsmsmkmjqy.jpg

..the drawings actually had me confused as they show the lines of lateral rivets in paired rows, but all the pics I have show just one row so that was what I went with - here are an upper & lower pair for the panels with recessed rivets - the bottom one has just been done, the top one already burnished out to get rid of the 'pillowing' effect of the rivetting process..

WIP1029_zpsivyasecz.jpg

..the structures were strengthened with thick card and an inner core made up to define the profile and stop sagging..

WIP1030_zps8pbyd9gc.jpg

..details added and taped up ready to paint YZC where needed..

WIP1031_zpshuydybz3.jpg

..then the rivetted panels were added - here tape acts as a hinge at the top, and is masking where the impact cement goes at the bottom..

WIP1032_zpshhtafwu9.jpg

..after painting the details showed quite well - I also noticed the curved edge that goes under the wing is normally seen quite glossy, I guess it doesn't get as much exposure as the rest of the structure, so I polished this area..

WIP1033_zpsljct7hyg.jpg

WIP1034_zpsuipxdmgq.jpg

..I also worked up and fettled the wing & fuselage so they fit and painted the recess YZC

WIP1035_zpsrv2wbuq2.jpg

WIP1036_zpsud6fklej.jpg

..the aileron detail can still be seen..

WIP1039_zpsjd27v1u9.jpg

..not at the right angle or fixed yet, but you get the idea..

WIP1037_zpslrgs67ts.jpg

WIP1038_zpsrcbwtxpb.jpg

..and that is the flaps nearly done - I will finish the fittings when I fit them ..

..I have the 3D printed wheels & hubs I designed from Tim Perry now, so they are next to take a look at

TTFN

Peter

• Like 12