1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

This thread is just so inspiring. The level of work shown is breathtaking and looks just so right. The one thing that I would love to see is how the various bits are done. For example the piping on the seats or constructing the side canopy panels without having CA going everywhere - any chance of a YouTube vid at some point?

Will

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks :)

On 8/27/2019 at 12:50 PM, Scimitar F1 said:

This thread is just so inspiring. The level of work shown is breathtaking and looks just so right. The one thing that I would love to see is how the various bits are done. For example the piping on the seats or constructing the side canopy panels without having CA going everywhere - any chance of a YouTube vid at some point?

Will

Hmm - I have been thinking about that, just looking into what is involved :)

..back again with a bit more done...

first the top canopy section was made as a plug and the boiling water process used to form PETG around it - here it is pretty much fully wrapping the mould..

WIP939_zpsnphvb6co.jpg

..and with framing added inside & out..

WIP940_zpsosjfluaa.jpg

..Steve at Model Monkey 3D printed the correct gunsight for me from the Don Lopez cockpit photo and it turned out brilliantly - added a few details and good to go..

WIP941_zpspfepgizg.jpg

..after painting, detailing & making the mount..

WIP942_zpsbuhzetiy.jpg

..mounted in position on the coaming..

WIP943_zps1dicp6e8.jpg

..as this was now ready, I stopped working on the canopy and got on with fixing the coaming & windshield so I could start fairing in the sections & skin the fuselage - here the process has started at the front, and now P38 filler added at the back..

WIP944_zpsbnrze6mf.jpg

..I forgot to take pics of the shaping work, so next up is one of the fuselage skins at the rear.. I made up a template sheet as it has to fit on three edges, and once I had that I could translate the drawing rivet & hatch positions to the sheet..

WIP945_zps9dkropmb.jpg

..the finished sheet, with a bit of tube fitted at the rear for the mounting where I think a jig fits the fuselage for balancing & gun alignment etc..

WIP946_zpsgmfjl6j1.jpg

..and the sheet fitted with the hatches & upper skin..

WIP947_zpstxxjz0pb.jpg

WIP948_zps3mh2e6dv.jpg

..as the airframe is now virtually complete in shape terms after 18 months, I couldn't resist an assembly shot to see how things were shaping up..

WIP949_zps0jvtbcpe.jpg

WIP950_zps1q3ebndk.jpg

WIP951_zpsfc2lnigm.jpg

WIP952_zpsobtsyp6b.jpg

..thats it for now :)

TTFN
Peter

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

Hi airscale.

I haven't been here for a long time.
Well, the amazing perfection in all aspects of your modeling job amazes me. I only know one person whose work is comparable to yours.
Honestly, I cannot imagine another destination suitable for your work that is not a museum that preserves such miniaturization works of art over time.

Regards.

Andrés s.

• Like 1

thanks folks & good evening.. :)

On 9/7/2019 at 6:02 PM, silberpferd said:

Astonishing work, can't wait to see it completed 🤩

If I may, this small access panel is only present on D model.

z8yK9Z7.jpg

Laurent

Thanks Laurent - it is good to know I ballsed that up - I guess I followed the drawing without cross checking the airframe and that must have been a D. I have looked at whether I could strip it off and let in a clean bit of litho, but for now I am not sure I could make it disappear so may end up leaving it

I woudl always rather know these things, than blither on in ignorance :)

23 hours ago, Skyediamonds said:

Ahh, nice to know I’m not alone in the imperfect department.

oh no, I do that a lot, you just don't normally get to see it :)      .....a bit more done over the weekend..

I was pleased to see the glazing survived under it's protective film, but it was time to take that off and add the frames, these are PE and have been amended from the drawings to allow for the fuselage curvature - the drawings are flat as you look at it side on..

..here the frames have been added and a tape template to start to derive the top panel..

WIP954_zpsiffizhm4.jpg

..with that panel and the lower surround with the grab handle cover done, it was time for another fuselage panel...

WIP955_zpsvt2yqmxm.jpg

..after both sides were done, I couldn't do the next panel until the exhaust panels were in to set the firewall line..

I added the exhaust mounts first..

WIP956_zps0ijvlpyt.jpg

..then annealed the PE nickel silver panels that surround the exhaust - these have all the fasteners etc etched in, but as you can see discolour badly when annealed - it all sanded out though..

WIP958_zpslapwvw9d.jpg

..then after much careful measuring & pre-shaping the panels were added..

WIP957_zpsjkyqwnvb.jpg

..then the main side fuselage panel could be added - here it is finished and a tape hinge added so as the adhesive goes off I can just swing it right into position - you can also see a tube section for the flare pistol and the bottom was annealed to conform to the fuselage as the wing fillets will go over the lower section..

WIP959_zpsgpxfdwbh.jpg

..too big to really photograph on my bench, so a few shots as the evening sun was going down...

WIP960_zpswa4szfop.jpg

WIP963_zpsmdxdeofb.jpg

WIP964_zpsloyxyon3.jpg

WIP961_zpstsyvqfjg.jpg

WIP962_zpslgfbtdyh.jpg

..all the skinning needs tidying up & finishing, but it is getting there panel by panel..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

thanks chaps & good evening again :)

another step forward and in some ways another escape from the devil of modelling- transparencies... they are my nemesis and I am literally on the verge of a cardiac arrest every time I go near them on the model..

..not many WIP pics, but here is the original...

WIP965_zpsjrz4tjoo.jpg

..I started by putting down a false cowling panel so all the panels around the cockpit will butt up against it and I will get a clean sequence of joins.. then added the strip that goes around the rear of the windshield where it meets the canopy windows..

..once that was down I added the top framing which was made up from strips of tape on the model and then made up in litho.. the strip was attatched with CA, but all the rest with contact adhesive very, very carefully

WIP966_zpstpvveg3c.jpg

..the bottom of the frames around the armoured glass is really hard to get right, and I haven't but it is the best I can do - I started with some ali/tin sort of soft metal sheet I have and teased it into position before marking it out...

WIP967_zpszyonpnhu.jpg

..and then no more WIP pics until I had all the panels down -sorry about that

WIP968_zpscfirvspw.jpg

WIP969_zpsvtu349rm.jpg

WIP970_zpsuvfcnvzx.jpg

WIP971_zpsaxdp0anm.jpg

WIP972_zpse6ya3bz7.jpg

..so I am relieved it is done and will now tape it up to protect it while I sort out the cowling panels..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 14

More beautiful work Peter, absolutely stunning…

12 hours ago, airscale said:

…transparencies... they are my nemesis…

Could have fooled me - from here they look perfect and SO clear!

• Like 1

evening boys & girls

On 9/15/2019 at 1:16 AM, Skyediamonds said:

What did you use for rivets on the canopy frame?  Or what product?

Hi - it's a set of jewelers Awls with a 'Mega Tool' brand on them - I think I got them from UMM USA

..time for a nose job...

..this is one of the two detatchable panels that sit on top of the engine..

WIP975_zpstutthkt6.jpg

..step 1 was to prepare the surface so it's nice & smooth and to mark the centreline..

WIP973_zpsa3eg3s2e.jpg

..then a sheet of soft aluminium was prepared by adding the row of rivets that go along the seam where the two panels meet and the fastener positions that run along the centreline on each side... then this was taped to the centreline...

..you can see rivets along the bottom scrap edge where I ballsed this up once already..

WIP974_zpsjf5xgv0x.jpg

..then the sheet is burnished down to the cowling with balsa blocks and in some areas around the nose where the curves are most acute, with a ball pein hammer...

..masking tape is used to hold the panel taught where it should be as the surface is worked from the straight edge centreline, to the outer curves..

WIP976_zps02o4ezij.jpg

..soon the panel is roughly done and the borders appear as raised edges..

WIP977_zps59zwar33.jpg

..the masking tape is removed to see whats what..

WIP978_zpsqoombp2q.jpg

..the panel is then trimmed & fixed with contact adhesive, using the centreline tape to as a hinge to keep it's relative position and the overlaps start to get filed / sanded away..

WIP979_zpsembovaxt.jpg

..with both sides done and the surface sanded smooth to remove irregularities (like glue highspots), the rivet detail was gone over again..

WIP980_zpsshsis24c.jpg

..with the fastener details defining the lateral rivet detail position, tamiya tape was laid out to set out the spacing - interestingly these rows of rivets are perpendicular to the A/C datum, not the cowling which is tilted slightly downwards...

...also the hatches had been let into the structure by taping them down and tracing the outline with a new scalpel blade with the waste later removed..

WIP981_zpscxnv52hz.jpg

..once complete another burnish to get everything nice & recessed and a wire wool clean up..

WIP982_zpst9z8p4b8.jpg

WIP983_zpspojo4lgw.jpg

WIP984_zpsnybklpoy.jpg

WIP985_zpshzag6o9f.jpg

WIP986_zpsmib37vrz.jpg

..lower cowl next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 12

Peter,

Just received the riveting tool.  It’s ex’s rly as I had envisioned.  This will go a long ways to helping me with my Guillow’s Mustang project.  Thank you.

I’m also reviewing their catalog & seeing if they’ve got other tools I could use.

Gary (Skye)

• Like 1