1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

thank you my friends, you are all too kind & Dave great to have you back and I am just going to have to get my hands on that tyre file so I can try printing them - hopefully we can catch up at Telford :)

Target for tonight is the MN26C Tropicalised Radio Compass - I think this is the reciever part..

...note all the cables & fittings, screws, the odd colour it is - it also has some lovely labels that had to be made as decals...

WIP333_zpsglc0dixe.jpg

now I thought I would get all clever with this and the other radios and reproduced them lovingly in 3D. As I wanted to start on them now, rather than pull a favour from friends to print them I joined Shapeways where I had seen others just get stuff printed on demand. I uploaded them, paid 60 euros for ultra fine plastic (which seemed horrifically expensive for three bits no more than a cm or two square) and waited for the postman..

..on arrival I cleaned them up and primed them..

WIP334_zpsppzjflyq.jpg

..not too impressed actually - they seem to have quite a coarse 'waffle' effect like a raised grid across all vertical surfaces and the bigger details don't seem very crisp..

One other major flaw was down to me - I don't know how, or why but the MN26 part seen in the pic of Lopes Hope above is not tall enough...

I toyed with living with it given that one part is the cost of a half decent kit, but I couldn't so started to make one..

..I started by making the endplates, and the box from folded litho, bulked out with plastic to keep rigidity..

WIP335_zpsw6bhsfd3.jpg

..by scaling & printing the layout I can mark what goes where on the business end..

WIP336_zpsat6vtyao.jpg

..I then started to make up a kit of parts for all the details.. some of our airscale bezels, guitar string, wire from a busted laptop and odds & sods from my box of watch bits...

WIP337_zpsd7v3y8yx.jpg

..then assembled those prior to priming & basecoat..

WIP338_zpsytvwtda1.jpg

WIP339_zps1y6z7sgi.jpg

..the rear just has a little clasp..

WIP340_zpsrv69uhor.jpg

..also added some feet from ali tube..

WIP341_zpssngarcrz.jpg

..then spent a bit of time trying to mix a colour that looked right - I looked at originals that have been sold on ebay and the pics I have and arrived at a semi metallic shade of baby poop...

WIP342_zpsbqhwemir.jpg

..and then added all the rest of the cables & decals..

WIP344_zpsobeve87t.jpg

WIP345_zpsefjzpapk.jpg

WIP346_zpszoomjo3b.jpg

WIP343_zps0t6wc5ps.jpg

..I like it better than the other one and I have to say it was more satisfying to make

WIP347_zpskpzreemk.jpg

thats it for now, got to see what I can do with the radios next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Ouch... those 3D printed parts. :yikes: I would have hoped for a better finish at those prices. It just goes to show that 3D printing is not necessarily the best way to go. You may have been better off 3D printing just the front of those parts. But with your modelling skills I somehow doubt it. 

As for the Bendix MN26C in the Lopes Hope photo, it looks okay to me. Or am I missing something?

I briefly had a go at modeling it in Blender and found a Bendix brochure that had the dimensions of the MN26. It gave them as 305 x 200 x 446 mm (w.h.d), including mounting base and excluding any connectors. So I made the main box to be around 6 3/4" high. My guesstimates came up with 165 to 175 mm high from looking at a number of photos of the front of the box. The big grey tuning connector that is top left on the front is about 2 7/8" top to bottom (looking at the photos here). It gave me another point of reference for the height.

Peter did you ever take a look at Fusion 360. It appears that Autodesk have changed things recently. The free license for students and hobby use is still available, but you now get the full version. Note that Fusion 360 is cloud based so you'll need a decent broadband connection to use it.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J.P. said:

Got through all 5 pages, and I'm glad I'm hooked...stunning work!!!!

Now you need to find the Spitfire that went before; beyond awesome (& a worthy winner of just about every prize going at Telford last year).

At this rate they might as well reserve the best in show 2019 for a certain P51C, to be honest.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Now you need to find the Spitfire that went before; beyond awesome (& a worthy winner of just about every prize going at Telford last year).

At this rate they might as well reserve the best in show 2019 for a certain P51C, to be honest.

I have found it. Wonderful !!!

In fact I found the P-51 looking for more "airscale" jobs.

Cheers

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I actually did follow that build. It was inspiring and discouraging all at the same time 😄

• Like 1

evening folks & thank you :)

a little more done..

these are the radios in the back - SCR274 I think...

a lovely shot, rich in detail, all of which I have to try and make...

WIP350_zpsyj0ith2f.jpg

..I started by adding what I could to the 3D printed versions.. I could already see problems though - the main tuning wheels were not very well defined for example..

WIP348_zpsllnqxawr.jpg

..so I cut them off (and the knobs & bumps) and made those myself too.. this is the smaller one..

WIP349_zpsue3qqob0.jpg

WIP351_zpsij8lhilg.jpg

..and the larger one..

WIP352_zps2euzzfrq.jpg

WIP353_zpsbxi0lzjd.jpg

there are some tiny black screws I still need to work out how to do - paint was too coarse, I tried rivet decals but they have carrier film, so I might try and get a Rotring drawing pen to do them,,

...next the racks they sit on - again another great reference shot from Aircorps..

WIP362_zpsjqdle2yv.jpg

..these were made from lots of little bits of litho and odds & sods.. I didn't make up the boxes at the back as these are so deep in the fuselage they won't be seen..

WIP354_zpskx6vn71n.jpg

..and this is how they sit (dryfit) on their racks..

WIP356_zpsfc3ruyvn.jpg

WIP357_zpsbswudgil.jpg

..lastly the subframes the racks sit on - one square bit of painted litho and a couple of folded constructions painted black..

WIP358_zps1asgnmg0.jpg

..and the ensemble together..

WIP359_zps5mll2qoi.jpg

WIP360_zpssj0qmtzt.jpg

WIP361_zpstvomfn5g.jpg

..next I need to try and get all this kit and the fuel tank mounted :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 9

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:10 AM, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

What’s aromatic fuel?

I think this refers to aromatic additives used in 100-150 octane avgas used in WW2; benzene, toluene, and xylene were aromatics added to increase performance and allow higher manifold pressures to be used for more power. The seals in the fuel system had to be designed to tolerate these additives, so the phrase was added to the data block to reflect this capability.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

hi folks :)

so, to what's been going on... actually quite a bit of rework..

..it started with adding the power panel - this is the canvas enclosed thing here on the back of the 'A' frame - it is a metal plate with some bits added, sheathed in a material bag cut from the original template with added fasteners and some wiring poking out...

WIP363_zps6n07rixf.jpg

..the reworking was adjusting the height & width of the fuel tank - I don't know if I misread the plans but it was too narrow at the top, so I slid it to the side and added anothe section below the brown radio... I also had to cut the end off this radio as I made it too long so the fuel gauge would not sit where it should..

after a lot of chopping & changing I got all the bits in as they can be seen in the reference pics I have...

WIP364_zpslb5ikfkk.jpg

WIP365_zpsmdesoxik.jpg

..you can see the big wadge of tank added here, and how it was raised as well.. fortunately all the messing about will be hidden..

WIP366_zpsx8v2eid7.jpg

..I wanted to get the armour plate & seat fitted, so had to fabricate these air vents before they could be added..

WIP367_zpsbvni2b7z.jpg

..I found the drawing, scaled it and started to fashion it from plastic..

WIP368_zpsw8g0rhk5.jpg

WIP369_zpsq2c2vfnj.jpg

..and with paint & pipes...

WIP370_zps8uj9v3kr.jpg

..then the armour plate was painted & the seat - the pics I have show the seat a different green so did this too..

WIP371_zpsrbwohtek.jpg

..then all the parts were added together to the sub-assembly...

WIP372_zpsh5mtgfth.jpg

WIP373_zps4au6afd6.jpg

..and a dry fit to make sure it all sits right with the walls...

WIP374_zps7vbqbw3w.jpg

WIP375_zpsalvsvq16.jpg

WIP376_zpsquvdsmxp.jpg

..will be doing the elevator & rudder trim pedestal next...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 18

Nice work getting everything to fit on top of the fuel tank.

One thing I have to say though... the canvas cover on the power panel. The fabric you have used looks way over scale. Would masking tape or microporous tape look more to scale?

Dave

Forgot to mention... is the canvas cover on back to front? Shouldn't the hole in the cover be the same side as the yellow fuel vent?

Edited by dave665
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 11:59 PM, dave665 said:

Nice work getting everything to fit on top of the fuel tank.

One thing I have to say though... the canvas cover on the power panel. The fabric you have used looks way over scale. Would masking tape or microporous tape look more to scale?

Dave

Forgot to mention... is the canvas cover on back to front? Shouldn't the hole in the cover be the same side as the yellow fuel vent?

Hi all,

yes Dave, right on both counts! I may remake it if I can find something suitable - the reversal is because I used a template but did it on the reverse of the material so i could use masking tape stuck to it to make clean cuts..

so next up was the trim pedestal seen here - this is in Lopes Hope, but has some of the access panels removed - luckily I have drawings of these...

WIP378_zpsygj8pf3l.jpg

..first thing to do was take what info I could from the drawings and make templates to scale...

WIP377_zpsgknvclcj.jpg

this was then transposed to a sheet of thick plastic card...

WIP379_zpscfadddhp.jpg

..and working up the base shapes and the access panels..

WIP380_zpssol6j13u.jpg

..I had the trim wheels 3D printed by shapeways and the tape template is trying to work out the top panel as the plan does not allow for the curvature...

WIP381_zps4fbcqdca.jpg

..the tape template then was used to create the top panel...

WIP382_zpsoxultsdf.jpg

..and the sub assembly starts to take shape - some of the placards needed backing panels adding..

WIP383_zpsthzi5rpj.jpg

WIP384_zpsrwpwha35.jpg

..priming and painting the 3D parts..

WIP385_zpsm1uf8itu.jpg

..these then had the bespoke decals added..

WIP386_zps0xgv4mwy.jpg

..and after painting the unit all the levers were fabricated and the other decals added..

..it will need weathering later and a big lever at the bottom needs adding..

WIP387_zpsal9qugqd.jpg

WIP388_zpshfdiio22.jpg

WIP390_zpsfscrhb3k.jpg

WIP389_zpsilzqkfku.jpg

..and how it will fit in the fuselage side panel..

WIP391_zps7vyhm2xg.jpg

enjoyed that, will have to see what is up next..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

• 1 month later...

Hello, Peter!

Last night it occurred to me, "I wonder what Peter is up to these days?  Might he be inspiring to something new?"  A quick search, and, "Yep!" 

Glad to see your juices flowing again and looking forward to following your progress.

Welcome back and may the wind fill your sails!

PR

• Like 2

Well I am not even going to bother to try an express how impressed  I am of the skills displayed here.

Because frankly I just can't find the words.

I am just so thrilled to see such skill displayed and to grab an idea or two.

Thank you Peter for this and your Spitfire build.

All the Best!

Don

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 3:04 PM, Pastor Rich said:

Hello, Peter!

Last night it occurred to me, "I wonder what Peter is up to these days?  Might he be inspiring to something new?"  A quick search, and, "Yep!" 

Glad to see your juices flowing again and looking forward to following your progress.

Welcome back and may the wind fill your sails!

PR

Hi Rich - thanks & great to see you back :)

On 11/22/2018 at 3:36 PM, flarpen said:

Seems like the updates are somewhat behind in this thread.

the build have progressed thurder on LSP.

yes, strange, when I last tried to post, it kept just timing out so after about 5 tries I gave up and I am afraid I forgot to try again later

will try and add the missing bit :)

so, a bit more done over the weekend..

..this is the sidewall of lopes Hope - as you can see there is lots going on, so pert of the process is deconstructing what you see into small assemblies..

WIP404_zpsuoyuljxg.jpg

I had most of the structural work done, so time to prime with etch primer..

..one side..

WIP403_zpsisjhluhx.jpg

..and the other - this is the side you see above in the real one..

WIP405_zpshjxz5nga.jpg

..after painting green, I started to add some of the fittings and decals including the pedestal...

WIP408_zpsypcdoquq.jpg

..and on the other side, some of the switchgear..

WIP407_zpse16fxjk4.jpg

..a couple of small control units were needed so I made these and prepared a number of watch parts for the fittings...

WIP409_zpscw1af8um.jpg

..making these convinced me I needed a 3D printer from santa this year as I could have just knocked them up...

WIP410_zpsf0vqek69.jpg

..I also made and added these inner parts to the main longeron at the cockpit sill - the brass 'H' section I used was 0.5mm too small and that was enough to mean all the decals along the side didn't fit - so I took the drawings and scaled these I could just laminate to them..

WIP406_zpsdebjtpyh.jpg

..that meant I could really start to add in all the decals and placards...

WIP411_zpsn5sykhvv.jpg

WIP412_zpsoc8z6x8x.jpg

WIP413_zps1zdwapqa.jpg

..and a check to make sure all the subassemblies go together to make the cockpit pod..

WIP415_zpswtbzcxr7.jpg

WIP414_zpsotyi11sb.jpg

..should be moving onto the floor, rudder pedals and control stick next...

TTFN
Peter

• Like 9