1/18 P51C Mustang ‘Lopes Hope the 3rd’

I assume you’ve checked to make sure that radio compass works?

An inspiring joy to watch, as always, Peter.

Does anyone have any idea what “suitable for aromatic fuel” means [one of the stencils in an earlier post].  What’s aromatic fuel?  [No hint of a suggestion that it’s wrong; the research is impeccable, as ever - I just have never heard the term].

• Like 1

Absolutely stunning work. Have you ever considered a ME 109G? The level of detail you have achieved in your P51 I think would work very well in such a perfectly engineered aircraft.

9 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

I assume you’ve checked to make sure that radio compass works?

An inspiring joy to watch, as always, Peter.

Does anyone have any idea what “suitable for aromatic fuel” means [one of the stencils in an earlier post].  What’s aromatic fuel?  [No hint of a suggestion that it’s wrong; the research is impeccable, as ever - I just have never heard the term].

I must admit I have no idea :) I just copied the drawing

I assume it means when flying out of France it can take some nice French Cologne instead of Avgas :)

3 hours ago, Aerofix said:

Absolutely stunning work. Have you ever considered a ME 109G? The level of detail you have achieved in your P51 I think would work very well in such a perfectly engineered aircraft.

I have sort of cornered myself in terms of aircraft types - I love metal skinning and just can't bring myself to paint it, so while I feel like that I suspect the types I choose will be limited to that sort of thing - I have looked for prototypes of all sorts of airframes to see if any were natural metal, but even then most are painted rather than truly natural..

who knows, maybe one day :)

so, two posts in two days - it does feel like things are getting back to normal

I mentioned the 'A' frame behind the seat - this is the key structural part from which the rest of the cockpit will orient - thankfully with that superb CAD work posted, I had help in understanding how it goes together..

..this is it from the front..

WIP232_zpskzln1spl.jpg

..and detail of the top of the real one..

WIP233_zpshcazef40.jpg

..I had made a jig as part of the etch PE fret that sets out this shape as it sits on a main truss section (also in the PE), so I taped that down over a scale drawing to have reference as to the angles & layout involved..

WIP225_zpswptefb05.jpg

..I couldn't find any 2mm 'U' shape brass channel, so I made some out of litho - I had also made a detailed laminate for the fronts of the main posts as these have some fixtures & holes in them

WIP226_zpsdoyp0bim.jpg

..they were cut to size and the laminates added..

WIP227_zpsnfhc1fxn.jpg

WIP228_zpsbzff3cdi.jpg

..they were then laid down over the jig - I very nearly assembled it all backwards - thankfully noticed just after this pic was taken..

WIP229_zps6fhwbi7r.jpg

..and assembled - I added some strengthening bits of plastic and followed up bay assembling laminates of the structural braces that are part of the overall structure..

WIP230_zps4mu9nyvh.jpg

..and the basic structure is complete - there is lots more to go on this, but I can use it as the 'keel' of the cockpit structure.. (so it had to be right )

WIP231_zpsb8n3l92z.jpg

..thats it for today - what with the long weekend in the UK, I might even be back tomorrow

TTFN
Peter

• Like 7

thanks Zaxos :)

a little more done..

I started to shape the rollover casting at the top of the 'A' frame behind the seat - just a chunk of brass shaped to a PE template I got from the drawing..

WIP235_zpsgvuqpni0.jpg

..and once it was finished it was added in place..

WIP241_zpsiwno0jiu.jpg

..also added some of the bigger bolts to the assembly - a few more to go..

WIP240_zpsqnulawkw.jpg

..I used some 3.2mm 'U' shaped brass channel to form the fuselage longerons - the PE structures have been designed to fit into the channel. These were again bent from the scaled drawing with the kink in the lower one being done by slitting it. bending it, and soldering it back up..

WIP239_zpsucqjs00u.jpg

..once I had the longerons made, I had to start thinking about a jig so I can assemble the sides - I used the drawings I made doing the PE and derived enough to set out some templates forwhere the longerons sit at front & rear. I also marked where the major fuselage stations are and will work this up into a proper jig..

it's just resting together for now..

WIP236_zpsuhjpcgkn.jpg

WIP237_zpsucutpcnt.jpg

WIP238_zpsnifpae1i.jpg

..I think I need to do the sides as units so I can remove them and detail them otherwise it would be tricky to just work the whole coskpit up from this assembled state - I would be forever trying to reach inside & wll likely get frustrated

..it should serve useful to get everything lined up though..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 7

Hi folks,

Turns out the longerons are H section so I reworked the upper ones - big shout out to Eileens Emporium for getting me the H section brass for the longerons in less than 24hrs from ordering - they came next day so I have had a chance to rework them according to the drawings

I also made up the jig that allows me to add the station points and skin the sidewalls

..the main seat bulkhead & the two behind are not glued - just the stations on the sidewalls, but here is where it is at so far...

WIP242_zpspdlzcbip.jpg

WIP243_zpssxrhwvcm.jpg

WIP244_zps0vxms9v8.jpg

WIP245_zpshyipmc2i.jpg

WIP246_zpsf3axlxgl.jpg

WIP247_zpsv0aq7qpa.jpg

then the skins are on - this is just one sheet of litho added while the parts were in the jig - that way I know these are dimensionally correct..

WIP249_zpsc31ttwog.jpg

WIP250_zpssgi4a5pw.jpg

,,added rivet strips where the stations meet the walls

WIP251_zpsspu5qplx.jpg

..the other side has the mounting fixture for the control pedestal..

WIP252_zpsoth9jmmz.jpg

WIP253_zpsv38b3wog.jpg

.. I will end up with two detailed walls I can then start making into the whole..

WIP254_zps24awypwl.jpg

.. I have also got myself a bit confused - see the map case here & the size it is in relation to the gap between it's adjacent fuselage station..

..looks to be almost a station to stations width..

WIP248_zpsgljwsjmw.jpg

..this is my version - scaled from the drawing at 12" tall..

WIP255_zpskud6ck7k.jpg

WIP256_zpsbpohcnof.jpg

..to me it looks undersized so am just trying to check if there were two versions or if it is just a trick of perspective in the photo of the real cockpit..

back soon

TTFN

Peter

TTFN

Peter

• Like 8

I have made what is listed as the 'Right Switch Box' - it's this bit here..

WIP261_zpsckfubtnf.jpg

..one of the advantages of making your own PE is that you can pre-think how to render shapes. In this case, the actual switch box is a simple rectangle with holes & details, but the circuit breaker cover plate is a structure i decomposed and 'folded flat' so I could try and fold it up in PE..

WIP260_zpsjq1ghduv.jpg

..with some folds & bends, I have a scale reproduction with all the angles juts right as they are from the drawing of just this part...

WIP262_zpsf05xi12q.jpg

..made a base shape from thick card and assembled the laminate of the switch panel itself. It has a small dial so I added the decal and a sheet of glass to the back structure..

WIP263_zpsnfgmeipc.jpg

..then other components were folded or added and the switch handle made from bits..

WIP264_zpsbzsbmarr.jpg

WIP265_zpskwjzyfi5.jpg

..all sprayed with semi gloss black..

WIP266_zpsjvwmuw3c.jpg

..and with the addition of the custom decals the component is complete..

WIP267_zpsunkdw2pf.jpg

WIP268_zpsvrhumgde.jpg

..and this is where it will sit..

WIP269_zpsj3ooggov.jpg

..more boxes & bobbins to come to carry on with the sidewall..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 13

evening chaps :)

little bit more done this weekend, but the little bit was actually quite important (& time consuming) in terms of dictating the success of the cockpit structure..

..I need to not only get the side walls right, but becuse I want to build up parts like sidewalls, floors etc seperately, I need to make sure I have sub-assemblies that can slot together when it comes to actually completing the cockpit 'pod'

one part of this will be the floor where the fuel tank sits and where the 'A' frame and seat will be mounted - this was a laminate of the detail layer, a full thickness PE strengthener and a thick card sub-floor..

WIP270_zpsn8aazubs.jpg

..one thing that soon became obvious was I got the bulkhead positions wrong (the slots in the floor..) - I took them from where they would be not allowing for the slant of the 'A' frame, but given the 'A' frame is at an angle, it moves where these slots should be

I used a template to set the angle of the 'A' frame... the upper plastic card bit has an angle at the front...

WIP271_zpslv9h2dbb.jpg

,,and taped up before adding lots of CA and strengthening bits where they can't be seen under the floor..

WIP272_zps5neuihbj.jpg

..I had to partially destroy the jig to get the sides out last week, but I figured a way to re-use it and spent hours fettling the parts so the floor sat correctly with the A frame in position and the slots for the bulkheads..

WIP273_zpsvurb0142.jpg

WIP274_zpsedc3et0q.jpg

..the trickiest part is the bulkhead that goes where the big slots are - this is in bits in the real one and bolted together - I made it one piece so need to thread it onto the floor like cotton into a needle and twist it into postion..

..this means I have some tidying up to do around where the floor & bulkheads meet..

WIP275_zpsdosmemnz.jpg

.. this is all now correctly positioned and I can use this when it comes to assembling the second bulkhead permanently to make the floor sub-structure unit..

WIP276_zpstnue5tzf.jpg

WIP277_zpsdnepp2zi.jpg

WIP278_zpswtbbapip.jpg

..coming together..

WIP279_zps30agfslh.jpg

..next I need to think about the fuel tank that sits here - I meant to design it in 3D but didn't get round to it and now my free trial has run out - I might try balsa and tissue or something as it's quite an organic shape & covered in rough self sealing rubber..

until next time..

TTFN

Peter

• Like 6

evening ladies :)

so next in the God knows how many parts I have to make is the fuselage fuel tank - for this I have a few pictures of the actual tank fitted in Lopes Hope and made a few mental notes about what needs to be done in terms off construction. First thing is clear, it is quite an organic shape, being made to sit tightly in among all the formers in the fuselage behind the pilot (more of which later..), second, it has a quite uneven surface where various fittings are added, and lastly it looks like a round pole framework at the top over which the bladder sits..

..having trouble with photobucket so will add that pic in later..

the first step was to make a balsa blank and add the profiles scaled from the factory drawings - here is the bottom plan..

WIP281_zpsvxjqzase.jpg

..then the top profile with all the fittings added and starting to shape it..

WIP282_zps4hj3jfrc.jpg

..then the top was recessed and the tubular frame added..

WIP283_zpstsybep5s.jpg

..to get the finish I wanted I decided to try tissue - this is at least 30 years old from a Guillows kit.. several layers were applied and washed in with diluted PVA..

WIP284_zpsjaudqnou.jpg

..the fittings had strengthening doublers so these were added from bare metal foil..

WIP285_zpsw2zdobkn.jpg

..something I had already worked out was that the complete tank would not fit in the assembled fuselage structure as it has to thread through the fuselage formers, so I cut it in half and then painted it black.. (Tamiya semi-gloss with a drop or two of future..)

WIP286_zpsu9jojd0y.jpg

...I am quite pleased with the results and I can.now start to add the detailed parts safe in the knowledge it just about squeezes through..

WIP287_zps6qtz7whq.jpg

WIP288_zps1ruiialg.jpg

..and slotted into place ..

WIP289_zpszjl1yqjd.jpg

WIP290_zpsx4uafreu.jpg

WIP291_zpsmlzsfnos.jpg

..and with the seat mocked up in position..

WIP292_zpsdqlasjkb.jpg

..that's it for now - having fun with this one :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

mistake

mɪˈsteɪk/

noun

noun: mistake; plural noun: mistakes

1.    an act or judgement that is misguided or wrong.

"putting those bulkheads there was a mistake"

synonyms:      error, fault, inaccuracy, omission, slip, blunder, miscalculation, misunderstanding, flaw, oversight, misinterpretation, fallacy, gaffe, faux pas, solecism, misapprehension, misconception, misreading...

..evening ladies :)

thought I would start with how ballsing something up is what makes you stronger...

so, I was working on the frame the radios sit on and the scale drawing showed me that the position of the bulkheads behind the 'A' frame was out. I knew this because I decided to move one slightly forward as the jig I built for the cockpit pod was just a bit short, and the one first behind the seat didn't seem to line up with the measurements I had marked out on the longerons but I chose to ignore that and mount them according to that dimension anyway...

..both these events were as defined above...

I realised how one mistake compounds another and no matter how hard it is to wind back, sometimes you just have to bite the bullet. If I had left it, I would have had a nice bulkhead running through the curved rear windows at the rear of the cockpit...

..this would have been quite hard to hide had I got that far...  imagine...  😡

..as it was, I had to get the slitting disc out and chop off both bulkheads and reposition them (to exactly where they were marked to be on the PE floor - what was I thinking!). This means there are some rather unscale massive blocks of plastic as bracing but they can't be seen with the tank in..

so, lesson learned: pay attention and don't compromise :)

anyways, on with the build..

this is a very useful pic showing the area behind the seat - note the fuel gauge and all the horizontal framework (covered in blue protective tape) the radios that go here sit on..    (..and that there is no bulkhead running through the window...)

WIP294_zpsvwfr1cxy.jpg

I thought I would have a stab at the gauge first.. this was a section of tube, a section of rod and a pinhead - I added the decal & glazed it..

WIP293_zpskxexqt8z.jpg

..and painted & mounted on it's extension pole thing..

WIP299_zpspevronoy.jpg

..it goes here on the tank (which also needed chopping about to fit now the bulkheads had moved..)

WIP300_zpsxgp2ccyw.jpg

..next the frame the radios sit on was scaled from the plan and details taken from the superb CAD drawings dropped in the thread a few pages back.. parts made up from brass sesction & folded ali..

WIP295_zps78lpxo0a.jpg

..and the part finished - the cross braces gave the clue to the bulkheads true position..

WIP296_zpss9qmdczd.jpg

....now I have to think about painting as I can't thread this part and the fuel tank in here very easily, and certainly not with the tank details in place..

WIP298_zpsavo8ss0h.jpg

..so I painted it.. the green mix took some time and I hope it is near enough..

WIP302_zpsd9r59avc.jpg

..I made some other tank bits - the fabric part is an electrical box that mounts on the 'A' frame covered in a canvas push stud cover..

WIP301_zpsxejlrymx.jpg

..also painted the sub-structure - you can see the bracing for the bulkheads here..

WIP304_zpsaryr1vqo.jpg

..added some details to the front of the ;A; frame..

WIP303_zpstg9aigxz.jpg

..and this is what it will all look like..

WIP305_zps24dhnou3.jpg

WIP306_zpsyge3h8pv.jpg

..so there you go - a disaster narrowly averted - I am sooooo glad I found it and corrected it now and not way down the line...

TTFN

Peter

• Like 12

It's looking spectacular as always Peter!

Would it be possible for you to occasionally throw in a paint pot (universal standard of weights & measures for modelers...) as a scale reference please? It gets challenging for us mere mortals to gauge the size of some of your work!

Edited by hairystick
  • Like 1

..another day, another few parts..

..this time one of my favourite things to do, the Instrument Panel..

..the PE is in three layers - a backplate to lay the decal instruments on and give it strength, a middle that carries the bezels (as they are inset not proud like most IP's) and the top panel that carries the screws & details..

WIP308_zpsrqpezsiw.jpg

..I used the backplate as a template to cut out a sheet of ultra thin plastic 'glass' - this is what I provide in my airscale decal sets..

WIP311_zps6sjneyul.jpg

..the main panel surround is the same laminate style, but this time just a backplate and a front. The front is slightly bigger at the bottom as these need to be folded to look like the way the real one is..

WIP309_zps5bo3j5cs.jpg

..here the folds have been done and the parts assembled..

WIP310_zpsb4svfu60.jpg

..then they were all painted - the bezels in semi-gloss black, the rest in nato black..

WIP312_zpsfb8zm0oq.jpg

..you might be able to see the difference better here..

WIP313_zpsbye2fbpi.jpg

..the panel was carefully assembled with CA - the bezels are a blacker black than the panel..

WIP314_zpsioxxlqdv.jpg

..then all the decals were added and a few of the knobs & switches..

WIP315_zpsepoi39no.jpg

WIP316_zpse9untigx.jpg

WIP317_zpsvbzmcjlh.jpg

..and dry fitted together..

WIP318_zpsru8g1q1t.jpg

WIP319_zpsenec0eqj.jpg

WIP320_zpsbmycox5l.jpg

..and to give a sense of scale..

WIP321_zpst6btvcd2.jpg

that was all over too quickly :)

TTFN

Peter

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, hairystick said:

It's looking spectacular as always Peter!

Would it be possible for you to occasionally throw in a paint pot (universal standard of weights & measures for modelers...) as a scale reference please? It gets challenging for us mere mortals to gauge the size of some of your work!

thank you very much :)

i dropped one into the last update for you

Thanks

Peter

• Thanks 1

last update on the weekends activity before the working week crashes the party again..

this panel is next - note the shape, markings and different switch types..

WIP322_zpsbnowk4sd.jpg

..started with the PE base parts & laminated one onto plastic to give the pressing depth..

WIP323_zpsdcb63awv.jpg

..I needed to make the little turn switch handles so I made one tiny master and copied it in resin by just using a plasticine mould...

WIP324_zpszvljaabk.jpg

..these were then painted black and the other switchgear & handles made up..

WIP325_zpsqkwzrga5.jpg

...then the base part was assembled after painting and the decal prepared by trimming the carrier film..

WIP326_zpsrihb8dvc.jpg

..and the unit was assembled with all it's switches..

WIP327_zpsgv6u1cwp.jpg

WIP328_zpsill0dvtk.jpg

..I also added the bomb selector panel at the bottom left of the main panel surround so this is what it looks like all together..

WIP332_zpskbm8ubii.jpg

WIP331_zps7jagdg2g.jpg

..thats it for now, hope to be back soon

TTFN
Peter

• Like 12

Peter...it is awful!!!! Make another one, but dont throw this one...send it to me, i will throw it for you!!!😋😋😋

Jaw dropping scratch build as always!!! I told you before i will say it again...i envy your skills!!!

John

• Like 1

Peter what can I say... :shrug: mind boggling level of detail on those panels and instruments. As ever... inspiring stuff. :worthy:

As for the cross tread pattern on the SC27 tyre I was modelling in Blender. After finding more reference images plus a bit of artistic guess work, here are the results from my latest 3D rendering.

44216486054_ee8f16833c_b.jpg

I'm still tweaking things like the profile of the tyre. The sidewall pattern isn't quite right either. But the basics are there like the shape and number of blocks in the tread. Not sure how well this tyre will 3D print though. The detail will be quite fine at 1/18 scale. The grooves in this render of the tyre would only be 0.5 mm wide. So a printer with a resolution of 0.1 mm may struggle to reproduce it.

Dave

• Like 2

WOW - This is an amazing build and I haven't reached the bottom of page 1 yet.  I would encourage anyone who hasn't been looking in on this and wants an entertaining evening tonight to settle down in a comfy spot with a good drink and enjoy it - 11 out 10!!!!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

A long, long time ago something left me so shocked.

AWESOME !!!!!!!!

I'm going to some corner of the house to cry.

Cheers.

you will not be alone Andres 😂

• Like 1