Triple Mustang build - 1/72

Hi all.

Yes, I am still building these Mustangs 😁

It been a real rough time at work lately, but I have been doing some work on these in between.

This is where I am now

20180526_131048-1651x1238.jpg

20180708_175724-1651x929.jpg

20180708_180951-1651x929.jpg

I've mainly been filling the panel lines on the wings.

More updates soon.

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
Correction
  • Like 5

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, Bedders said:

Airfix control columns. I've never NOT broken one on the sprue...! 

Justin

After reading about the multitudes of modelers that had the same issue, I just cut the column at the bottom of the handgrip and the top of the canvas boot and used a section of plastruct tubing in between- actually took less time and looks better than trying to get that blasted part off of the sprue runner! (Why the heck didn't they attach the sprue runner at the base or at top of the handgrip? I would think this would be good release for Quickboost, like they have done with other control columns.)

Mike

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Why the heck didn't they attach the sprue runner at the base or at top of the handgrip?

I've been asking this very question since I broke my first Airfix P-51D control column... :headbang:

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Why the heck didn't they attach the sprue runner at the base or at top of the handgrip?

If it was Eduard I'd suggest they were plotting a resin aftermarket part but with Airfix it's just down to incompetence.

I'll follow your lead and replace the offending section with rod.

Thanks,

John.

• Like 2

I did more work yesterday.

I've been using some of the PE parts on which will be P-51D 'Jan' where I though it makes sense, but not all of it.

I wasn't sure if I should use the radiator inlet 'mesh', but I did end up going for it.

I had to make it fit inside the 'scoop' by sanding away some of the inside.

20180713_092627-1305x734.jpg

It's not quite as deep inside the intake as it's supposed to be, but it will work. The seem needs some filling.

20180713_093654-734x1305.jpg

Moving on to my P-51C, I've glued on the lowered flaps. Doesn't look too bad for a hack and saw job me thinks.

20180713_141824_0_-1305x734.jpg

I've also filled the wing root seems on this one

20180713_152427-1305x734.jpg

I'll hope some more time on these today.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Jimmy

Edited by JimmyZ
Correcrion
  • Like 8

Yesterday's modelling ended with the 3 Mustangs ready to be sprayed, with all the necessary bits covered.

20180714_161705-1305x734.jpg

20180714_161719-1305x734.jpg

And this morning I sprayed them with Tamiya AS-12. Here they are in the drying box with a benced SEAC Hurricane Mk.II.

20180715_103415-1305x734.jpg

I'm almost out of AS-12 so I might need to get some more to finish them off.

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 6

On 7/16/2018 at 3:09 AM, Borisz said:

Hey Jimmy,
What was the reason to fill those panellines?

Hello Boris North American filled the panel lines at the factory to help reduce the drag over the wings. I found this a while back and took a screen shot. It will show which lines got filled and which didn't. It also shows the different panels either painted or natural metal finish. Painted should be the lighter color.

yR7xi5W.jpg

Dennis

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Boris North American filled the panel lines at the factory to help reduce the drag over the wings. I found this a while back and took a screen shot. It will show which lines got filled and which didn't. It also shows the different panels either painted or natural metal finish. Painted should be the lighter color.

yR7xi5W.jpg

Dennis

Correct. I have that exact same image on my computer that I use as a guide every time I have to fill a Mustang's panels.

There also this great image of a P-51D in the factory with the wing painted with primer (after panels filled) before being sprayed silver.

P51_D_wing.jpg

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

yR7xi5W.jpg

Dennis

Thank you, Corsair!

• Like 2

So I'm done spraying NMF, and about to start painting onto it.

Anyone care to speculate the color of the anti-glare on the nose of Dickmeyer's P-51? I thought WWII Mustang's all had olive drab anti-glare paint, but this looks distinctly black.

FRE_005329.jpg

Here's a different photo. Looks black right?

FRE_005313.jpg

And my 52nd FG Mustang is harder to judge by the b&w photo.

FRE_008687.jpg

However I could go by a color photo of a different 52nd FG (same FS, but months later). Would that be accurate?

44-13298_QP-_QMarie.jpg

That I would say is OD.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Jimmy

Is there something that says that the normally OD painted anti glare panel wasn't repainted in matt black as the OD paint faded rather quick?

336th repainted their P-51D's light blue. What says that 334th and 335th didn't paint some of the antiglare panels black (when they repainted the red nose) on their aircraft's?

http://www.markstyling.com/p51s_1.htm

When P-51D-s where sold to Sweden they arrived with the antiglare panels in lots of different shades from green to brown. In most cases those areas where repainted in dark brown and later in matt black...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

10 hours ago, JimmyZ said:

FRE_005329.jpg

Here's a different photo. Looks black right

When i built my 4th Fg Mustang i did find some descriptions & theories that they used insignia blue on some planes? I never found a photo this dark, i did find one in a much lighter blue tone? Is it Black ? Or could it be insignia blue ? If it were me id go blue but thats me. 

Dennis

On 7/22/2018 at 3:44 PM, Andre B said:

Is there something that says that the normally OD painted anti glare panel wasn't repainted in matt black as the OD paint faded rather quick?

336th repainted their P-51D's light blue. What says that 334th and 335th didn't paint some of the antiglare panels black (when they repainted the red nose) on their aircraft's?

http://www.markstyling.com/p51s_1.htm

When P-51D-s where sold to Sweden they arrived with the antiglare panels in lots of different shades from green to brown. In most cases those areas where repainted in dark brown and later in matt black...

Cheers / André

On 7/22/2018 at 5:44 PM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

When i built my 4th Fg Mustang i did find some descriptions & theories that they used insignia blue on some planes? I never found a photo this dark, i did find one in a much lighter blue tone? Is it Black ? Or could it be insignia blue ? If it were me id go blue but thats me. 

Dennis

This is the first I've heard of blue anti glare paint. It would cerrainly look good and different! Looking at the photographs I have I cannot rule out insignia blue, as the shade looks similar to the color of the US insignia on the fuselage side.

I'm not comfortable painting it black or insignia blue at the moment, so guess I've got some research to do! 

Thanks for the info André and Dennis!

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

After a busy time, I finally have some progress to show.

It's only a single photo, but I've painted all three Mustang's, and it's now time to prep for decals.

20180809_172135.jpgfree image share

Also, after pondering over it, and some research I've decided to paint the anti glare panel of the 334th Mustang black, as many photos of the squadron's P-51's show.

The blue would have looked great though. Guess there's a 336th Mustang somewhere in my future :)

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 5

On 8/9/2018 at 5:46 PM, JimmyZ said:

Hi all.

After a busy time, I finally have some progress to show.

It's only a single photo, but I've painted all three Mustang's, and it's now time to prep for decals.

20180809_172135.jpgfree image share

Also, after pondering over it, and some research I've decided to paint the anti glare panel of the 334th Mustang black, as many photos of the squadron's P-51's show.

The blue would have looked great though. Guess there's a 336th Mustang somewhere in my future :)

Cheers

Jimmy

Looks Good!

Like that rednoosed P-51D with black anti glare panels!

Some 1/72 my P-51 Mustang's from IPMS Stockholm including S26, a P-51B and an red and "light blue" noosed P-51D from 336th (Sunny VIII).

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9158

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B

On 8/12/2018 at 2:03 PM, Andre B said:

Looks Good!

Like that rednoosed P-51D with black anti glare panels!

Some 1/72 my P-51 Mustang's from IPMS Stockholm including S26, a P-51B and an red and "light blue" noosed P-51D from 336th (Sunny VIII).

http://www.ipmsstockholm.se/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9158

Cheers / André

Very nice 'stangs there André!

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Another small update - I've finished placing the decals on the 334th FS Mustang.

20180825_145327.jpg

Here I have it in the drying box after spraying it with a clear cote to seal the decals

20180825_154504.jpg

I then removed all masking areas to inspect for possible damage. Luckily there was nothing major.

20180826_115956.jpg

Now I need to do the same thing two more times! 😵

Cheers

Jimmy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Just finished placing the decals for this one, and then sprayed it with clear

20180908_072526.jpg

I'm almost done with the F-51's decals as well. Surprisingly the teeth decals doesn't cover all it should

20180909_105914.jpg

It's placed exactly where it should be

20180909_105930.jpg

🤔

I'll have to paint that area to complete coverage

• Like 1