Fokker D XXI, Finland winter 1942, Special Hobby with some Frog nostalgy

Hi,

This is my recent model - Fokker D XXI (IV Serje) No 5 (142) in Finish colours of 2/LeLv 30, pilot Sgt. A.Trikkonen, earaly 1942.

This is biuld from Special Hobby 1/72 kit but not the scheme from box.

Here is she:

26061349077_34ec2233fa_b.jpg40892443522_b9790c6de6_b.jpg40225935594_878cf24232_b.jpg26061352667_00b298363e_b.jpg40225937194_7c7e0bf2dc_b.jpg26061356697_035952d253_b.jpg27063034848_c976e0298a_b.jpg

This is my second Fokker D XXI in my life. First I did (of course Frog)  in 1973 so in age of 14 and I still have it. I only removed some dust and here are  family photos:

40225943214_9ef444c145_b.jpg

40040352025_05652a2e3e_b.jpg

The Frog Fokker was not painted with varnish, so I am surprised that decals are still on not broken! After 45 years of standing on shelf. This was quality... :)

Comments welcome

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 18

Gents, many thans for comments :)

This my old Frog perhaps looks ok from this distance, but in that time (1973) I was not using any sanding paper nor filler, so at close look you may see problems...:tmi:

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Very nice D.XXI's, J-W! I built the Frog kit when it was it was still fairly new (probably about the same time you did yours). I also have the SH kit, but I haven't built that yet.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Dave and Jason, many thanks for your kind comments.

That is funny, that I remember very well that when I was doing Dutch one with Bristol engine I was immediately thinking that one day I will have to do a double row  another one with long canopy, Finish markings and ski... Only 45 years elapse to complete this idea. ;)

Cheers

J-W

Very nice Fokkers Jerzy:)

I like them both. Years ago I built the Frog model as well (it's long gone) in Finnish markings. I haven't even started my "Finnish Air Force 100 years" -build yet... and we are already two weeks past the the date (6 March).

Talking about winter camouflages a funny thing came to my mind. Finnish Army had a booklet called "Hevosohjesääntö" (Horse handling Instructions) published in 1938. It stated that it helps considerably if horses are camouflaged for the winter by painting them white! Then there was of course a recipe how to mix and apply that white paint. But wait a minute, it gets better. On the next page the manual suggests that: "During spring it is recommended to wash away the winter camouflage":lol: During the Winter War most Finns knew exactly (and without manuals) how to handle horses. Today "Hevosohjesääntö" is the best selling item at Finnish Defense Forces' surplus store as every girl at the age of 10 years wants to have her own copy.

Kind Regards,

Antti

• Like 1

Hi Antti. Many thanks for your comment. It happens that I am doing some kind of a series of Finish airplanes (after set of four Norwegians). In autumn it was  Ripon, and in 2018: Pyry, Morko and two Fokkers (CX and DXXI). Now I am doing Myrsky, Shavrov Sh 2 and Gamecock. It this will be end I think. Perhpas in future I will add some more captured Soviets (LaGG 3?, Pe 2?, DB 3?) and maybe  FW 44, Gauntlet. Hanriot 232? But I am ot decided yet.

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Hi all,

Both are nice models.

A few notes of the kits... SH Twin Wasp canopy fits better if a wedge shim is added to the fuselage upper seam both in front and rear of the canopy. IIRC SH is using same prop for the Mercury and the Twin Wasp. Unfortunately, they were running opposite directions.

Frog is old and basic model. Most serious faults in it are height of the landing gear and location of the canopy too far forward.

Cheers,

AaCee

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, AaCee26 said:

Both are nice models.

A few notes of the kits... SH Twin Wasp canopy fits better if a wedge shim is added to the fuselage upper seam both in front and rear of the canopy. IIRC SH is using same prop for the Mercury and the Twin Wasp. Unfortunately, they were running opposite directions.

Frog is old and basic model. Most serious faults in it are height of the landing gear and location of the canopy too far forward.

Cheers,

Thanks  for this comment. Indeed in SH kit the canopy is a bit too wide (or fuselage too slim. I have not corrected this.

Dam, the rotation of prop is so often wrong in kits! I have not noticed it, unfortunately here. Recently I noticed it twice in models with Kestrel motors (Fokker CVD by LF and on moulds of planned to issue Renard R 31 by Frrom-Azur) . Theat is pitty...

Regards

J-W