Help with Camel colour

Andwil

I'm hoping that someone can help with the colours for a Sopwith Camel.  I have just started a 1/72 build of Donald MacLaren's Camel F2137 and am confused with the colour of the cockpit panel and turtle deck.  Roden would have you paint these aluminium, and the profile in the Osprey on Camel aces shows a colour indistinguishable from the metal cowl and forward panels.  Yet the panels in question are wooden and usually appear quite dark in photos, being either a dark varnish finish or painted to match the PC10.  However, the photos I have of F2137 show a very pale colour unlike any other Camel.  I am leaning toward a light grey for these panels.  Can anyone confirm this or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance

Andrew

It's possible both are correct - Camel delivered in natural metal and wood finishes, and then at some point in it's career  those surfaces were painted over with battleship grey?

0WVVFaO.jpg

regards,

Jack

Thank you all for the useful information and pictures.  Grey it is.  JackG's close up photo clearly shows that at some point the wood panels have been painted over, and subsequently heavily worn.

Regards

Andrew