RAAF F/A-18F+ in 1/48

aidy

Hi all,

Ok, so I've got a 1/48 Hasegawa Growler and a copy of Ronin's Op Okra Super Hornet decals. From what I've gathered, the RAAF F/A-18F+ is really like an 18G without the electronics fitted.

So, would it be correct to build one using Hasegawa's F/A-18G as per instructions and then use the RAAF decals on it?

Any advice is much appreciated.

• Like 1

yeah, more or less!

there might be a different rear cockpit instrument panel included (check instructions) and do not add the wing tip pods nor pylon mounted jamming pods

• Like 1

I've checked the kit and yes, there is a different rear instrument panel.

I think the RAAF F+ also lack the wing fence and uses the regular E/F leading edge flaps.

Still a couple builds to wrap up before I can get things started on the Hasegawa Growler, though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, aidy said:

I've checked the kit and yes, there is a different rear instrument panel.

I think the RAAF F+ also lack the wing fence and uses the regular E/F leading edge flaps.

Still a couple builds to wrap up before I can get things started on the Hasegawa Growler, though.

You are correct Aidy, though you need to add the various antenna lumps on the fuselage for the 18F+

See here, I am talking about the antenna above the tail number on the rear fuselage and the lump behind the dorsal antenna

• Thanks 1

Hi, aidy,

If the situation in 48th scale is the same as in the 72nd kit, all the pieces for a "normal" F+ should be there. Just get the instructions of the proper version and follow them.

In 72nd scale most US Navy boxings of the kit came with the old-style heat exchangers, instead of the "pipe-rack" new style ones. Therefore, I opted for getting a Growler and "backdating" it. Having the instructions was enough, the box included the complete F+ kit plus the parts to convert it into a Growler.

Fernando