RAF Heavy Lifters by Philip J. Birtles

Des

Has anyone ever come across the above hardback book?

It was advertised back around 2002/2003 in the same series from Sutton Publishing as the Last of the Phantoms / The Last of The Lightnings / Buccaneers / Hunters.

I duly bought all of the others but cannot recall ever seeing the 'Heavy Lifters' available for sale and it came to mind yesterday when I was clearing out some old magazines and saw an advert for the series , checked all the usual places and although they have an image of the cover all have it marked as unavailable with no second-hand copies on offer which suggests that it was maybe never released.     Does anyone know otherwise?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Des

I'm pretty sure it was never released. I can't find the email now but I did ask the publishers and they said it hadn't been published -can't remember why now!

Cheers

Glen

Thanks Glen,

Rather confirms what I already thought , looks like it might have been interesting subject and having recently bought  Keith Wilson's RAF in Camera volumes for the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s when I came across the old advert it occurred that had it been published it might have been a nice complement to the material there. 

Hi Mike,

I already have a copy of it and it is a useful reference and includes properly coloured Andovers and by the skin of their teeth Hercules.      Transport Command had been gone for almost a year when I first flew in and was airsick for the only time in my life in one of the latter from 242 OCU almost a year later during an ATC Annual Camp at Thorney Island in July 1968.