RAF Sky Blue / ANA 610 Sky Blue

Matt_

There are a number of old threads that reference this colour, but nothing regarding Tamiya that I could find.

Does anyone have a good way to mix ANA 610 Sky Blue with Tamiya acrylics?

From this post, XF-23 appears too green to use as a base:

X-14 looks like it may be 'too' blue?

I wondered if white with a drop of XF-50 Field Blue, or possible XF-18 Medium Blue?

ANA 610 is "Sky," not "Sky Blue." FS 34424 has been suggested as the post-1943 version of this color, and Tamiya XF-14 suggested as a match. For the pre-1943 version, BSC 210 has been suggested, but I don't have a Tamiya equivalent.

Thanks. Yes, my mistake on the ANA.

Specifically, I was looking at the colours for the RAF NA Mustang IV. I have the 1/72 Airfix kit I'm building at the moment for one of the kids. The box art has the spinner in black, but I found a reference pic that has the spinner in a light colour.

http://raf-112-squadron.org/112_photos_page_6.html

The same pic appears on the RAAF 3 Sq site with notes that the spinner would have been Sky Blue

http://www.3squadron.org.au/subpages/Mustangs/3 Sqn P-51K P4.htm - (down at the bottom of the page)

Maybe this was an error, and it should have been Sky?

Then there are places that have Mk IVAs with a red spinner

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2000/03/stuff_eng_profile_112sqn2.htm

and the currently kept KH774 - https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:North_American_P-51D_Mustang_‘KH774_-_GA-S’_(G-SHWN)_(19548249673).jpg

Maybe I'll just paint it pink.

ANA610 is Sky, as said above.  The profile in the link certainly looks as though it is intended to be Sky Blue.  The comment about the different dates is a bit confusing, but may mean the introduction of ANA610 as opposed to what they were using previously.  I don't know which brand of US paints North American used, but Curtiss and others used Dupont.  Dupont had a colour called Sky Type S Grey, which is not quite Sky but in the ballpark.  Lockheed used a colour which looked very similar to the Dupont, if not the Dupont.

Aircrafts in the MTO were supposed to have red spinners and this is the likely reason why GA-S is so depicted in the IPMS Stockholm profile. Pictures of other aircrafts of the same unit in the page you linked clearly show this.

Then there's a clear in-flight picture of GA-S with a light spinner, and while B/W pictures can trick the modeller, there's no denying that this is a light spinner.

The same picture is discussed in Lucas' "RAF Fighters 1945-50 - Overseas Based" and the author interpretation is that both codes and spinners are white. Personally I would agree on the codes but not on the spinner, as this looks slightly darker to me. What colour is it ?
There are different "schools of thought" on this. Some believe that this was a pale blue colour applied by the relevant MU to a number of MTO based Mustangs. Some believe that it's simply good old Sky. Then there's the possibility that the spinner is actually in two colours, with the front being red and the rear yellow, as seen on several 112 Sqn. aircrafts after the end of the war.

Speaking of the end of the war, that picture is given by Lucas as dated 1945, by then the upper roundel had been replaced with the C type, IIRC the Airfix starter set suggests a B type.

One more comment on the pictures on the 112 Sqn. page: the caption under the lineup of aircrafts mentioning GA-S is incorrect, that aircraft is actually GA-G, that sports a dark spinner. I have a feeling that Airfix may have followed this picture to incorrectly suggest a black spinner for their kit. That spinner is however IMHO red, not black. This picture is also included in Lucas' book where it's captioned as being taken in 1946, as confirmed by the markings of some of the aircrafts in the line-up