Revell 1/72 Sea Hurricane Mk.IIC

Avereda

On 20/03/2018 at 5:46 PM, Graham Boak said:

...There are photos of 766 Sq SHs crash-landed on HMS Ravager elsewhere on this forum - Troy has copies if you need to ask him.  They show the mounting points for the rocket rails - you don't actually have to fit rockets just bodge up some fittings with plastic card.

And lo, the Easter postie brought gifts of resin from the East

26261466687_4fe8536856_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The resin having been bought I now need to do something with it. The first question is - where do the rails mountings fit? I’ve seen the photos of the upended Sea Hurricanes so I’ve got a rough idea. I’ve  taped them up where I think they should go, I’ve put them facing directly forward - would there be any kind of angle involved?

40402541465_99c1a1d2ca_b.jpg

The next question is this, there a four dimples on the underside of the mounting racks which means they stand proud of the wing, I’m not really sure from the pictures that this should be the case - does anyone know better?

40402541295_11343a9570_b.jpg

39489221050_890367355f_b.jpg

I would say not.

To me they look like aligning points for the new racks, these racks I suspect were mastered for another model to replace it's incorrect rockets and/or mounts. That model may have had holes in the wings or marks for where the holes would go, so you'd just drill them out and fit the mount in the correct position.

But they shouldn't be proud, if you can find some photos of that setup then you'd be able to confirm.

On 31/3/2018 at 12:03, Avereda said:
On 20/3/2018 at 17:46, Graham Boak said:

...There are photos of 766 Sq SHs crash-landed on HMS Ravager elsewhere on this forum - Troy has copies if you need to ask him.  They show the mounting points for the rocket rails - you don't actually have to fit rockets just bodge up some fittings with plastic card.

October_4th_1944_Sea_Hurricane_NF728_K1_

8 hours ago, Avereda said:

The next question is this, there a four dimples on the underside of the mounting racks which means they stand proud of the wing, I’m not really sure from the pictures that this should be the case - does anyone know better?

mounted flat, as seen above

this shows it well

A_Hawker_Hurricane_Mk_IV_of_No._6_Squadr

from

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234963903-pics-needed-hurri-with-rocketsbombs/

and I've just noticed the artwork on the removed engine panel.....

this is a scan of the drawings from the old PSL book showing placement of rocket blast plates, but it's on PB....  I suggtes that the two photos above should allow you to eyeball the position, note on the HMS Ravager shot the postion of the blast plate in regard to the wing light,  flap and aileron,   and in the shot with the rockets fitted  the position of the blast plate to the leading  edge.

HurriIVrockets1-48.jpg?1523321891146&152

HTH

T

• Like 1

On 26/03/2018 at 6:47 PM, Avereda said:

I don’t know about that, I’m kinda tempted to put the Swordfish in the RAF Centenary GB though.

Chris, I suspect naughty Pat knows this full well

Rumbled ! :winkgrin:

Looks the business 

cheers Pat

On 10/04/2018 at 12:27 AM, trickyrich said:

I would say not.

Good enough for me, they’ve been chiselled off now. @Troy Smith - thanks again for the photos, I think I’ve just about sorted the position now.

On 10/04/2018 at 5:32 PM, Beard said:

Nice asymmetric load on that second Hurricane photograph @Troy Smith

Tempting but I’ll try to keep it simple

9 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Rumbled ! :winkgrin:

Looks the business 

cheers Pat

Thanks Pat, I’ve lost some of the rocket fins getting them off the casting blocks but. I may be able to repaired them. I’ve got a busy few days coming up but should have a progress report next week.

Edited by Avereda
So it makes sense
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Beard said:

Luckily, that ain't a Sea Hurricane; the photograph caption says it's a Hurricane IV of 6 squadron.

That wouldn’t have necessarily stopped me but thanks for pointing it out anyway. By the way is it because it’s a Mk.IV it doesn’t appear to have a landing light?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Avereda said:

That wouldn’t have necessarily stopped me but thanks for pointing it out anyway. By the way is it because it’s a Mk.IV it doesn’t appear to have a landing light?

I don't know but, hopefully, some-one who does know will pop along.

5 hours ago, Avereda said:

By the way is it because it’s a Mk.IV it doesn’t appear to have a landing light?

Not specifically, but because of the rockets,  rocket firing typhoons lack lights for the same reason.

the asymmetric load is from a a series of photos of 6 Sq taken on Prkos, when they were operating over Yugoslavia.

see here for more pics and discussion

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/13/2018 at 12:01 PM, JOCKNEY said:

When we last heard from you, you were playing about with rockets 🚀 

Whats happening, lots of us are looking forward to the next instalment  :popcorn:

cheers Pat

Time flies....and I’m still playing around with rockets. The plate and the rails are on now, I’ve also added the landing lights. I think it’s just about ready for primer, I’m going to try spraying thinned Mr Surfacer 1500 which may require some decent, still weather come the Bank Holiday weekend. I also need to relocate the canopy, the whereabouts of which currently elude me.

27365838377_fc027383f3_b.jpg

On 5/21/2018 at 1:24 PM, trickyrich said:

does the carpet monster look happy and content?

Thankfully not, I’ve uncovered 1.5 canopies so all should be well. In the meantime the darkness has descended courtesy of Mr Finishing Surfacer 1500, thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Levelling Thinners. Pre shading next and then on with the Colourcoats for the camouflage.

42298068931_64fb2470b5_b.jpg

• Like 3

Not much to report but I have remembered to prime some of the fiddly, pointy bits. I may even avoid getting them mixed up with the Hasegawa Hurricane I’ve got on the go.

28454869988_f40aef6995_b.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2018 at 2:29 AM, Avereda said:

Some wild and optimistic pre-shading, a mix of Light gull gray, Napoleonic violet and Dark skin tone.

42411722151_74ed379764_b.jpg

I’d really, really like this to be the actual colour scheme

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Dont lie ... Thats the super secret prototype night harassement camouflage ! 

Dennis 

It might just work against an African night sky

• Like 1

First coat of Sky (Colourcoats) on this morning. I used the low pressure, up close, needle barely retracted method which may not have been such a good idea in this instance. I think doing it this way may cancel out the variations of the preshading - though I may change my mind after the second coat.

41634399175_5dc6eb7d4e_b.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Second coat on and I’m reasonably happy. Unfortunately it’s not going to advance any further than this before the gallery closing date, a mixture of work, conferences and holiday means I’ll have no further bench time until mid-July - I’ll try and complete after then though.

41817520755_986e376962_b.jpg

As minor compensation for another failure, this is what happens when you leave a pot of Copydex in a drawer too long.

41246814880_3bd85ac0ac_b.jpg