D.H. 83 Fox Moth, half scratch

49 minutes ago, Moa said:

Fooled by the slight curvature of the trailing edge on the section of the wing closer to the center on the only photo I found showing the reg on the upper wing in an almost convenient angle:

Those letters were always applied in a standard way, so a photo of any aircraft clearly showing the upper surface would have sufficed.  I refer you to your rule......always check with multiple sources (where possible). Saves lots of pain later.....as I know only too well.

11 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

Those letters were always applied in a standard way, so a photo of any aircraft clearly showing the upper surface would have sufficed.  I refer you to your rule......always check with multiple sources (where possible). Saves lots of pain later.....as I know only too well.

And yet, sometimes rules are meant to be bent.

Here in this Ellsworth Gamma the regs. run perpendicular to the fuselage:

41586289894_c11b8ef83d_b.jpg

But in these other two, Cochran's and TWA's Weather Laboratory Gammas that I modeled, they run parallel to the L.E.:

42260937642_32ca098570_b.jpg

41586290394_21255253f3_b.jpg

That's why, being the case that OO-ENC had a repainted registration (at that time Belgian, not British anymore), I guided myself only from the meager number of photos of it I could get.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

And yet, sometimes rules are meant to be bent.

Here in this Ellsworth Gamma the regs. run perpendicular to the fuselage:

But you are here comparing apples with pears. Your examples are metal-winged aircraft, which would not be dis-assembled to paint the letters, as the wing skins could support a man standing on them. So they had complete freedom to align the letters with leading edge, trailing edge, root rib (perp to fuselage) or any feature they chose. Fabric covered biplanes had the wings removed and placed on trestles to be painted (the fabric covering couldn't support a man standing on them), so they had to be guided by the ribs as those were the most logical features they had to align with.  Thus the orientation of the letters was dictated by practical considerations of how they could be painted, which were more restrictive for a fabric-covered aircraft.....

1 hour ago, Roger Holden said:

But you are here comparing apples with pears. Your examples are metal-winged aircraft, which would not be dis-assembled to paint the letters, as the wing skins could support a man standing on them. So they had complete freedom to align the letters with leading edge, trailing edge, root rib (perp to fuselage) or any feature they chose. Fabric covered biplanes had the wings removed and placed on trestles to be painted (the fabric covering couldn't support a man standing on them), so they had to be guided by the ribs as those were the most logical features they had to align with.  Thus the orientation of the letters was dictated by practical considerations of how they could be painted, which were more restrictive for a fabric-covered aircraft.....

And yet (plywood-covered only at the leading edge). The point is that there may be surprises, and particular arrangements. There is no absolute one-rule-fits-all.

Unless you are a Mordor agent and want to subjugate everything to the One Rule (sorry, One Ring).

This is one of my firsts scratch efforts. Why do I model so many British things? I may have to change that.

01.jpg

02.jpg

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Moa said:

And yet (plywood-covered only at the leading edge). The point is that there may be surprises, and particular arrangements. There is no absolute one-rule-fits-all.

Unless you are a Mordor agent and want to subjugate everything to the One Rule (sorry, One Ring).

This is one of my firsts scratch efforts. Why do I model so many British things? I may have to change that.

I am glad we could agree that your Fox Moth letters were wrongly aligned. 

7 hours ago, Moa said:

Roger: if you see something, bite your tongue:

I am very well-practised at that from years of reading your Blog 😆

But sometimes a lack of self-discipline lets me down....

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Moa said:

The resemblance with the Genairco Cabin Biplane is outstanding (From Bill Larkins Flickr photostream):

Genairco Cabin Biplane

Methinks you ought to have a go at it.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Methinks you ought to have a go at it.

Martian 👽

Hi Martian

I gathered some images, and started to look for a plan or 3-view, but fortunately common sense prevailed as I looked at the stack of unfinished projects and kits lying around.

But by all means, if you feel like, please!

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Moa said:

Hi Martian

I gathered some images, and started to look for a plan or 3-view, but fortunately common sense prevailed as I looked at the stack of unfinished projects and kits lying around.

But by all means, if you feel like, please!

Cheers

Since when did Britmodeller and common sense, a stack of unfinished projects, or any form of sanity have anything more than a passing acquaintance, or? Sadly or perhaps mercifully for me , my bench is literally full. Anyway, I have something totally crazy and quite possibly your cup of tea into the bargain, lined up as soon as some space becomes available.

Martian the Mysterious 👽

• Haha 3