Tamiya 1/35 Easy 8 Sherman

Mozzy19

I’ve been working on this for a while now and thought I’d share my progress. The main painting has been done with a Tamiya rattle can, the rest will be brush painted as I do not own an airbrush...

40856771712_ef5ddc851b_b.jpg40856771982_dcbcf8541e_b.jpg40856772042_1afac3a188_b.jpg

The slight tonal variation has been achieved by using a sponge with various mixtures of Revell acrylics. It still needs a lot of detail painting etc.

Sean

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Nicely done. Can I ask, where did you get the base from please?

Thanks guys. Clive, I think I got the base from modelhobbies a few months ago.

Sean

• Thanks 1

I’ve been messing with various things for the last few days. I’ll add one more crew member sitting in the turrets plus a few more odds and sods scattered over the tank.

40061154535_66eeb9293e_b.jpg

39145658610_1d4b5ae9d2_b.jpg

40061154135_0d7e3a8e7a_b.jpg

More soon.

Sean

• Like 4

I’ve applied some chipping to the tank. I could do with some opinions on that score. To me it looks like I’ve overdone it but I’m not familiar with the Sherman so I’m not sure what state they got into. I’ve also made a start on the base painting using AK wet mud. The .50 cal with the RB barrel was also assembled.

27099223948_a57e62f7b2_b.jpg

40076617105_1787d5da38_b.jpg

40076617615_8dd8ff0169_b.jpg

Sean

• Like 4

• 7 months later...
3 hours ago, Soeren said:

Easy fix, some wall filler with cat litter. Shape to your liking and you have a more or less convinving crushed wall top, cut a few bricks from plasticard and finish.

Thanks for the tip, I found some grey ballast which might work to a similar effect.

Sean

Looks like a MiniArt wall to me.

Personally, I'd take a file to the seam line along the wall. If it's MiniArt plastic it's easy to file. Yes, you will open up some areas showing the hollow insides of the wall, but you can fill those with putty. OR, stuff them with bits of cardboard/paper and heap over with plaster. The plaster can then either be carved/sanded as whole 'bricks', half bricks, or sprinkled with chunks to mimic rubble and dust. In some cases (double-thickness walls) you can get away with leaving some holes, and let these represent the wall cavity between inner and outer courses of bricks.

Nice work on the Sherman. Tamiya's Easy 8 is a lovely kit.  I don't think you've gone OTT with the chipping. It all looks to be in the right places too, which is good!

I would add straps/ropes etc to tie down/hang your stowage though.

It really makes a big difference. Eg. Here's my first ever Sherman, 'Face Off', from the 'recent' M3/M4 STGB'. Oh, I scratched additional armour so you might not recognise it as being the same kit as yours!

A2gia1b.jpg

8RTuofo.jpg

Reargaurds,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 3

Nice and good suggestions  badder, I like them all the way.

The Sherman looks good as it is, but I find it can be even more awesome with baddest ideas implemented and the wall will look sweeter also :). Files and putty for the win.

/Stef

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blaubar said:

with baddest ideas implemented

I think that was meant to be 'badder's' Auto-correct is a two-edged sword.

1 hour ago, Mozzy19 said:

I’ve attacked the wall with some files and filler

Looking forward to seeing the result. I suspect it'll look 10 times better.

Rearguards

Badder

• Like 1

Between Cologne and Frankfurt when it is 30mins behind shedule and an ICE 2 😉🎉👍🏻(ICE3 and 4 are capped at 301 and 250, respectively afaik)

I have a bahncard 100 😉 I use them daily^^

Edited by Blaubar

First off, apologies for the pictures. They’re not great because the lighting isn’t good. I filed down some of the worst parts of the wall and applied more filled then more sanding. It’s better now and I’m leaving it as it is now. I’ve added a small tarp and a few tufts of grass to hide the bits that are still not too great. I’m still fiddling with the Sherman and where to put the crew and stowage and I’ve also realised I haven’t fitted the tow hook or exhausts :doh:.

30877179057_8985c96b78_b.jpg

44904006535_3bca6b0c73_b.jpg

44904006665_dc01303b40_b.jpg

30877179067_206aa4326d_b.jpg

Sean

• Like 1

Hi Ian, 

I suspect you've given the Sherman a matt coat? Looks good to me, even with the 'poor' lighting.

I don't know why you've thought to hide some of the wall under a tarp, because the seam-removal looks to have been totally successful elsewhere. Personally, I'd get rid of the tarp and just 'repair' that bit as well. Alternatively you could put moss on the wall - dab some medium CA in places and sprinkle crushed Dil Tops over it. That can be used to hide 'nasty' bits.

Now the tie-down rope..... I think it's a bit on the thick side, double-up as it is, and isn't actually holding anything down. I'd use it single-thickness, stain it to look more 'ropey' and ensure it's actually stopping things from falling off the tank.

And finally, the grass. It looks great to me, except for that pale ground underneath. I don't know if you were planning to stain it with a variety of greens and possibly greens and browns, but I certainly would.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saying all this because I think you've produced a very fine Sherman indeed and I'd hate to see it 'spoiled' by a couple of 'over-sights'.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips, especially the dill tops for moss. I have indeed given the Sherman a Matt coat, all weathering has been finished on that. Luckily the tarp is only held down by two small drops of CA so it’s easily removed.

I agree that the tie down rope is too thick and too stark so that’s on my to do list. The way I’ve placed it over the stowage is to give the impression that the crew has been getting things out. My idea was that they were having a rest etc, it should look more authentic once everything is in position.

The pale background for the grass is the glue holding it in place, it’s dried clear now :pirate:.

Sean

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mozzy19 said:

Thanks for the tips, especially the dill tops for moss. I have indeed given the Sherman a Matt coat, all weathering has been finished on that. Luckily the tarp is only held down by two small drops of CA so it’s easily removed.

I agree that the tie down rope is too thick and too stark so that’s on my to do list. The way I’ve placed it over the stowage is to give the impression that the crew has been getting things out. My idea was that they were having a rest etc, it should look more authentic once everything is in position.

The pale background for the grass is the glue holding it in place, it’s dried clear now :pirate:.

Sean

As I said, I think you've done a grand job on the Sherman, so I'm glad to hear I was 'jumping the gun' on the other stuff.

If you use the Dil Tops idea, be sure to grind it up a bit first. (I usually take a pinch and rub it hard between my fingertips, dropping it onto the CA as I do so) I use it a lot on walls and buildings and it adds a lot of character besides hiding flaws. I also use it as a sprinkle amongst grass and around plants/bushes etc, again dabbing CA in the required places first. Whatever you use it for though, I would advise giving the 'moss' a coat of varnish and a few washes with greens, as over time unprotected Dil Tops will fade to a light brown.

I do like the idea of the crew being in the middle of either removing, or tying down stowage. I had the idea of representing that myself when it came to imagining the diorama for my Sherman pictured earlier.  I thought it being loaded up might be interesting, hence the diorama WIP being titled 'Pit Stop' but as yet I've been unable to find suitable figures. So in the end I built the Sherman 'neutral' and am still pondering over the theme of the diorama. I suppose I could always revert to the 'loading up' idea, should I find the right figures.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 1

I’ve been fiddling with it today. I adjusted the tie down rope although I still think I need to stain it darker still. The tarp was removed from the wall and I’ve added some tufts of grass/broken rock etc around it in areas. I’m pretty happy with it now and I don’t think I’ll be changing much on it now.

31975151048_af0c3487ff_b.jpg

44029579060_b57c6ff114_b.jpg

45797003892_bee41154c0_b.jpg44933342085_f3f1b68b39_b.jpg

44029579050_37ab1c7b3e_b.jpg

30906667137_7595e2aa91_b.jpg

30906667127_187d1c2689_b.jpg

Next time it will be finished :D

Sean

• Like 1

That has come out really well,the base looks very life like and really suits the Sherman well 🙂 the markings do a great job of breaking up the olive drab and adding some interest.

• Like 1