Eduard F-8 Crusader

franky boy

Evening everyone

As the title suggests I'll enter this GB with Eduard's re boxing of Hasegawas F-8 Crusader. Built OOB because these re boxing's have all the goodies that you could need already in the box.

And some pics to whet the appetite.

Box top first

a568f636-276b-4bd6-8efa-3de6a69e1b39.jpg

I think this is the markings that I'll go for.

8e5aaa1d-eb75-4482-bf8b-11b46f7f9e98.jpe

And a couple of sprue shots.

resized_2d9e7766-060a-4604-8464-f55e8c40

resized_0fc75b71-80cc-4c4b-81ac-80d3a73a

And the rather large decal sheet

115cd64a-8de0-411c-b4a9-e40553994243.jpe

And the other goodies

5e03902b-a8d1-47f8-bcd2-1b6de851bef6.jpe

Thanks for looking.

Cant wait to get started.

Cheers

James

• Like 5

NICE!!!   :thumbsup:  Welcome aboard, I was wondering when I'd see a Crusader and and Edward one at that!

That's really is a nice looking model and I love the scheme you've chosen.

Good luck with the build and another one I have to follow with interest.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

You sure this isn't Acedemy's 1/72? From your pictures, it's identical.

No, definitely Eduard 1/48.

7 hours ago, trickyrich said:

NICE!!!   :thumbsup:  Welcome aboard, I was wondering when I'd see a Crusader and and Edward one at that!

That's really is a nice looking model and I love the scheme you've chosen.

Good luck with the build and another one I have to follow with interest.

Cheers Rich

Yeah it looks like a really nice kit and I've never built a Crusader so should be good.

Looking forward to seeing how your Vigilante comes on too.

James

• Like 1

11 hours ago, franky boy said:

No, definitely Eduard 1/48.

Cheers Rich

Yeah it looks like a really nice kit and I've never built a Crusader so should be good.

Looking forward to seeing how your Vigilante comes on too.

James

I checked mine just to make sure. They are very close, but I see the differences now, almost none except the scale. It's definitely a good model then. Double check with photos what side the main door landing light is on. The Academy instructions has it on the wrong side. Just in case.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Well here goes update number 1.

So first of all the raised detail was scraped of off side consoles and IP in readiness for the PE. Everything was then given a coat of Gunze Aqueous H317 and the PE was then glued in place. Side consoles and rudder pedals and a piece on either side of the tub in this pic.

All the grey parts were then given a Kleer/water black/brown wash a bit of dry brushing and a matt coat. Job done. 

resized_ab3d9fd6-c75e-439a-a9d7-6e1fa499

The IP also had some gloss varnish dropped into the dial faces.

resized_3b464867-b56d-4fc4-8b45-a550c850

The right hand side of the cockpit had a couple of etched pieces to fit. The left had none.

resized_229e2ddf-0088-4d7f-b6b3-4a0e1744

The gear bays and the air intake pipe that fits underneath the cockpit were then given a coat of Humbrol satin white and the gear bays then a same wash as above applied and a matt coat. This was the first time in years that I've sprayed Humbrol paint and it performed better than i was expecting. Thumbs up to them.

resized_78dbf582-7034-4b77-abe6-6ac62c2b

And the tail hook.

resized_5472bd8a-a5f5-49d1-9d81-4e37219f

And this is where we're at now. Ready for some sanding down of seams and doubtless a little re-scribing. As you may be able to make out in the photo she's quite lump!

resized_b3b2a516-7388-467d-9d73-caa38a3e

So thats it for part 1.

Thanks for looking and happy Easter to everyone.

James

• Like 7

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Sure helps to have a good model to start with. Cockpit looks correct.

1 hour ago, CliffB said:

It's looking great so far James.  I'm looking forward to seeing how the wing develops :popcorn:.

Cliff

37 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

The last of the gun fighters.  I rather like the Crusader.

A good start - Good luck with it..

Thanks chaps

Yes it’s a nice kit and coming along quite nicely so far.

Cliff it’s going to take a lot of space when the wings get on, might have to extend my modelling area.

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zebra said:

This will be an impressive model - looks big (unless that's a small cutting mat!).

Thanks Zebra

No it’s a big model!

James

a really nice start James and you're making swift progress, probably thanks to it being a nice model. The cockpit area looks great.

edit.... hmm I thought I posted this hours ago.....my Mac must be infested with bunnies! 

• Like 1

On 01/04/2018 at 3:47 PM, trickyrich said:

a really nice start James and you're making swift progress, probably thanks to it being a nice model. The cockpit area looks great.

edit.... hmm I thought I posted this hours ago.....my Mac must be infested with bunnies! 

Thanks Rich

Yep it's a lovely kit so far and I haven't managed to bodge anything up yet either.

Probably no so much progress in the coming week as the social calendar is quite full🙂

James

On 01/04/2018 at 2:31 AM, franky boy said:

Thanks chaps

Yes it’s a nice kit and coming along quite nicely so far.

Cliff it’s going to take a lot of space when the wings get on, might have to extend my modelling area.

James

with the 1/72 ones i have, i left the wing removable with the hydraulic lift attached to the fuselage. i fit four into a shoe box for storage and transport, then put the wings on for display. (had to mark which parts go on which plane) i also leave the horizontal tails removable. Works very good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi James

Any progress to share, you were off to a flying start, look forward to seeing how things are going.

cheers Pat

Hi Pat

She's just about ready for painting.

Works been pretty manic the past 3 weeks or so so I haven't had much time for modelling either.

The other thing is our computers packed up and is away being mended. I'll try and post pucks from I pad later. First world problems😊

Thanks for the chase up.

James

• Like 1

Hi all

Its been a while between updates so here goes.

Below is the coaming over the instrument panel with the gun sight added but not the glass. I have to say I didn’t like this bit of etch, too fiddly! The green square is a canvas cover made from Tamiya tape to represent what is in this area on the real thing.

resized_8fd1c3f3-3171-46ba-8eaf-db10ae14

I then put the canopy on and managed to get a pretty bad fit as you can see below. Filling, sanding and plenty of bad language is currently in progress.

resized_6f82ea4b-1106-4c76-820e-322a9803

And that’s where it’s at right now. Sanding down seams and correcting silly mistakes.

Sorry there aren’t more pics but posting from an iPad is a total pain in the bottom!

Painting to begin soon.

Thanks for looking 

James

• Like 2

you should be lucky it's a plastic canopy and not a VacFrom one! All my builds of late have had VacForm canopies, not fun at all.

Hopefully you get you PC sorted out, they seem to be dropping like flies around here at the moment.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

you should be lucky it's a plastic canopy and not a VacFrom one! All my builds of late have had VacForm canopies, not fun at all.

Hopefully you get you PC sorted out, they seem to be dropping like flies around here at the moment.

True. A bit of sanding and it’s now sorted. Out with the airbrush tonight.

James

• Like 1

Hello chaps

Heres this weeks update. Painting has started.

First up was a pre shade and a few squiggles of very dark grey. Just some humbrol black with a few drops of white.

resized_37837afd-d23a-4515-8bd0-68c3b371

ab21fc51-bacd-4d5e-988c-30996706140a.JPG

And then on with some humbrol satin white. I haven’t used humbrol paints for ages but this sprayed really well and covered very nicely.

5c8aa332-61b7-44d9-8c97-d1c16d2901d1.JPG

df9c9da9-5f08-416e-98d2-0560ed412a1f.JPG

I’m fairly happy with this so next onto the upper surfaces and the light gull grey.

Thanks for looking.

Until next time

James

• Like 5

panel painting is something I need to practice. I guess the more coats, the less you would see the dark lines. This looks like a good weathering. I know from pictures, once they were based inland more, they weren't washed almost at all compared to when they were based at sea.

• Like 1