Brewster Buffalo B-339 RNZAF - Tamiya 1/48

Hi, friends.

After introducing myself in "new members" thread I'd like to show you my latest work.

40834502072_0b03fdae38_z.jpg

This Buffalo was flown by Noel Sharp, a New Zealand pilot of No. 488 Sqn RNZAF. His personal aircraft, with a striking chinese dragon, made this model irresistible to me.

Noel Sharp was credited with 3 kills during the Malayan campaign, including a Ki-43 and a Zero. He was shot down on 17 January 1942, but survived. Engineers were able to repair his aircraft, replacing the front section of the engine cowling with that of another plane (for this reason the ring colors don't match with the rest of cowling). Sharp was evacuated from Singapore before its capitulation, along with his Buffalo. The aircraft was destroyed at Palembang, South Sumatra, during a Japanese bombing raid on 7 February 1942.

Sharp was KIA over Java on 20 February 1942, while flying a Hurricane with No. 605 Sqn RAF. He was 20 years old. Buried in the Kanji War Cemetery in Singapore, Sharp was posthumously awarded the DFC on 20 December 1946.

Following two pics posted only for discussion purposes:

27005639158_07200f25a9_z.jpg

27005638988_3753938d5c_o.jpg

The old Tamiya kit was improved with a PE set from Eduard, masks from Montex, vacform canopy (central section) and some add on (pitot tube made of metal tubes, Unithread for the wires) . I riveted the whole kit (I'm not a river counter but sometimes I do that). Everything is painted, roundels, letters, codes... using masks , with the exception of the dragon wich is a decal (btw too thick, I had to go over the rivets again).

Undersurfaces painted with Tamiya Sky and Black. Upper surfaces (Dark Earth & Dark Green) with MRP (Mr Paint), I do like this new brand of lacquer paints. 

The pics:

40834247182_05a908bb76_c.jpg

40834246822_dc8dd6441a_c.jpg

40834244772_1d855ee127_c.jpg

40834243812_bc645bbd68_c.jpg

27005349678_656675ddf0_c.jpg

27005348988_7edbd9b182_c.jpg

40834248932_6bf0cc7c68_c.jpg

40834247712_cd085c9f38_c.jpg

40834247492_14bc8693f6_c.jpg

39095892270_1c1665445b_c.jpg

27005347488_29eb5cefbd_c.jpg

27005348048_692c333106_c.jpg

I love this barrel. 

Hope you like it. 

Regards

JC

• Like 61

Welcome to BM, and what an introduction!

As far as I'm concerned you couldn't have found a better aircraft to start with – I love the Buffalo, and yours is possibly the best I have ever seen. Absolute beauty.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juanca Fernandez said:

Hi, friends.

After introducing myself in "new members" thread I'd like to show you my latest work.

40834502072_0b03fdae38_z.jpg

This Buffalo was flown by Noel Sharp, a New Zealand pilot of No. 488 Sqn RNZAF. His personal aircraft, with a striking chinese dragon, made this model irresistible to me.

Noel Sharp was credited with 3 kills during the Malayan campaign, including a Ki-43 and a Zero. He was shot down on 17 January 1942, but survived. Engineers were able to repair his aircraft, replacing the front section of the engine cowling with that of another plane (for this reason the ring colors don't match with the rest of cowling). Sharp was evacuated from Singapore before its capitulation, along with his Buffalo. The aircraft was destroyed at Palembang, South Sumatra, during a Japanese bombing raid on 7 February 1942.

Sharp was KIA over Java on 20 February 1942, while flying a Hurricane with No. 605 Sqn RAF. He was 20 years old. Buried in the Kanji War Cemetery in Singapore, Sharp was posthumously awarded the DFC on 20 December 1946.

Following two pics posted only for discussion purposes:

27005639158_07200f25a9_z.jpg

27005638988_3753938d5c_o.jpg

Hi JC

Always nice to see a 488 Squadron Buffalo ^_^

Few Comments on your Post

While 488 Squadron was the first Fighter Squadron formed in New Zealand 1941, 488 Squadron was actually an

Article XV Squadron - (RAF Squadron, but manned by RNZAF Personnel), so should read 488(NZ) Squadron.

Article XV Squadrons

Certainly Noel Sharp had had three Kills, along with 2-3 probables

Noel's Buffalo was shot up but he managed to crash land it back at Kallang.

He was Volun-told into 605 Squadron, flying Hurricanes, which they flew from Singapore to Java.

The rest of 488 Squadron with the exception of Squadron Headquarters staff (OC Wilf Clouston etc) evacuated to New Zealand.

Noel was not KIA (Killed in Action), but rather crash landed his aircraft in the jungle - Batavia (Beginning March 1942), and was

last seen running away from his aircraft by his squadron mate. He actually had been shot down a few days before,

and escaped death from drowning, struggling out of his parachute.

He was never seen again, and is listed as Missing in Action - no known burial site, possibly captured and executed by the Japanese.

There is a Plaque on a wall with his name on it at the Commonwealth War Graves, Singapore Memorial, Kranji.

He was warded the DFC just after being reported missing March1942.

The above is from various documents (RNZAF Museum/488 Squadron Diaries/488 Squadron members/CWGC)

Just a FYI on your Buffalo, Noel only had the Dragon on the Port side

Thanks for sharing your model build with us

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
Additioal Date info and fix typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Noel Sharp's tally of three enemy planes shot down clearly shows that the Brewster Buffalo was no pushover,the Finns and the US Marines have showed that too.Mr.Juanca,i like what you had done with the Buffalo,really masterly done.

Edited by Kampartiger
wrong grammar

28 minutes ago, Kampartiger said:

Brewster Buffalo was no pushover,the Finns and the US Marines have showed that too.

The  Buffalo's score of Ilmari Juutilinen was 34 victories (out of - accordingly to some source - 124 total).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilmari_Juutilainen

Buffalos were used in Finland till the end of war and were considered definitely not a pusher...

Regarads

J-W

1 hour ago, Kampartiger said:

Noel Sharp's tally of three enemy planes shot down clearly shows that the Brewster Buffalo was no pushover,the Finns and the US Marines have showed that too.Mr.Juanca,i like what you had done with the Buffalo,really masterly done.

Noel Sharp was a Clark before joining the RNZAF, he and other 488 Aircrew arrived in Singapore circa Oct 1941 straight

from flight School. Luckily for them their OC - Wilf Clouston and his Flight Leaders Ft/Lt's Hutchinson and MacKenzie were

Battle of Britain Veterans

They had basically un-serviceable 339E Buffalo inherited from 67 Squadron to get flying and train on by the time of December

8, 1941 came about.

As far as the Buffalo in combat, there were a number of "Aces" in the RAF/Commonwealth Aircrew ranks - Kiwi Geoff Fisken being one.

Regards

Alan

Even if the Squadrons out in the far east were equipped with the same number of latest Spitfires, they still would have lost.  Always up against it.  Little or no early warning and when the japs turned up, they did so, 'mob handed'.  Always out numbered and always climbing to meet the opposition.....Mostly when they were on their way out.

Steve

A fantastic BritModeller debut Juanca!  Excellent weathering and attention to detail and enough of the history of the aircraft and Pilot- I've not seen many Buffalo here, and your effort sets a very high bar.

cheers,

Troffa

First of all, mates, thank you for your welcome in this forum and your kind words on the model. I'm very happy that you like it, even more since it is a forum with many lovers of British planes (as I am too). 
Also thanks to Alan (LDSModeller) for the clarifications about Noel Sharp, it is always interesting to expand data and correct the errors. As for the dragon only going on the 
port side ... is there a photo on the starboard side or a comment? Because I did not find any. In this book, as in others, I only saw the dragon on the port side:

40218897324_1d72d838aa_o.jpg

Indeed the Finns took very good advantage of the Buffalo but they took advantage of everything that could fly Juutilainen's Buffalo is a nice 
subject and the Dutch one...well it's a beautiful barrel.

Like I said, guys, it's a pleasure to be here.

Gracias, Miguel ;)

JC

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juanca Fernandez said:

First of all, mates, thank you for your welcome in this forum and your kind words on the model. I'm very happy that you like it, even more since it is a forum with many lovers of British planes (as I am too). 

Also thanks to Alan (LDSModeller) for the clarifications about Noel Sharp, it is always interesting to expand data and correct the errors. As for the dragon only going on the 
port side ... is there a photo on the starboard side or a comment? Because I did not find any. In this book, as in others, I only saw the dragon on the port side:

40218897324_1d72d838aa_o.jpg

Indeed the Finns took very good advantage of the Buffalo but they took advantage of everything that could fly Juutilainen's Buffalo is a nice 
subject and the Dutch one...well it's a beautiful barrel.

Like I said, guys, it's a pleasure to be here.

Gracias, Miguel ;)

JC

Hi JC,

Some time ago I had a discussion with Jim Maas about the Dragon, as I had seen model decals like yours showing

both sides. I queried this, as it seemed "wrong" and not in practice with what I understood RNZAF practice or even RAF

(ie Port or Starboard not both).

Jim commented that it was only the Port side, and there is a photo - I may have a copy but it  would be on my other hard drive

a bit inaccessible at present;)

Regards

Alan

A superb build and nice pics ! I remember building one several years ago when the kit was reissued by Tamiya, but it

did not turn out as nice as yours by a long shot ! Makes me want to build another !

Christian.