1/72 Cyber Hobby SH-3D Sea King Apollo 11 - DONE

Dermo245

So many GB’s, so little time!

Being a fan of carrier aviation and rotary wing things, I had to join this GB....here’s hoping I finish in time.

I’m jumping in with a Cyber Hobby Sea King, to be built OOB with aftermarket decals for HS-4 aboard USS Hornet in 1969 for the Apollo 11 mission.

Photos later!

Good luck with your build and hope you enjoy the Group Build.

Cheers,

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
  • Like 6

Welcome aboard Dermot, and what a great choice.

It's a scheme that I don't think anyone would have thought of, especially for a chopper that played a part in history.

Good luck with her, it'll be great to follow the build.

• Thanks 1

Thanks lads and will try my best with it!

Some photos as promised..

39106774580_1824d1dc64_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D Box by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Contents

39106774690_e08f34771d_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D contents by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Kit decals on the left and aftermarket on the right. I don't know who supplied the aftermarket, they were with the kit when I bought it at a show.

40874302512_526742615c_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D decals by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 7:08 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dermot

Any update on your build or have you forgotten all about us ? :winkgrin:

cheers Pat

Helo on deck!

Finally started on this one. Filled the port side front window and also a groove under the main door which isn't there on this version. There were also a few lumps and bumps removed from around the fuselage. 

27952683808_56c774b39a_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_1 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

I've added the sonar well but cut off the top part as it was blocked off on the Apollo rescue helos. I've also filled in the cabin floor where there won't be any bench seats. That's probably the last of the changes as I want to get on with building this thing! While the cockpit seats are from a later Sea King, I'm happy to go with them for this one.

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2018 at 5:53 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Dermot

Any chance of an update, you were off to a great start last time we heard form you with this build.

cheers Pat

Sorry Pat, damn World Cup distracting me! Realised last night that I'm away on holidays in a couple of weeks so finger out on this one!

Main parts primed up and added some extra ribbing to the main cabin.

42290704794_c8cb8936a5_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_2 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Nice detail on the main panel....damn macro shows off my gnarly painting..oh well!

42107603425_05f271da6c_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_3 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Front seats painted and rear bench (way underscale) installed. From reviews I've read, the front seats are the wrong type for a -3D era Sea King but I'm going with them anyway

42290697954_579243b133_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_4 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

One half of the cabin done. I also added a ceiling from plastic card, not that you can see that much but just to cover that blank space.

42107600655_99693a9fb7_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_5 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Buttoned up last night. Overall, the fit was great but really tight tolerances all round. Some of the kit is a bit 'over-engineered' but the detail is lovely.

29137264268_1688dab54a_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_6 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And as she looks this morning.

28140946867_9e39350c15_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_7 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More later!

Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 4

Great progress there Dermot even with distractions........called Pat! :D

Anyway who cares about a silly game where they kick a ball around a field! I know we've got a lot we want to give away! Next time we'll send our under 11 girls team, I bet they'll do better!

• Like 1

R

On 6/27/2018 at 11:24 PM, trickyrich said:

Great progress there Dermot even with distractions........called Pat! :D

Anyway who cares about a silly game where they kick a ball around a field! I know we've got a lot we want to give away! Next time we'll send our under 11 girls team, I bet they'll do better!

I thought you already had, they are on their way back, so look out for them at an airport in Oz soon 😆

Cheers Pat

Right so, enough of that banter!

With the superb good weather here in the Emerald Isle, plenty of opportunity to use the Mk1 Outdoor Spray Booth a.k.a the back garden.

After a couple of coats of Halford White plastic primer

42492074634_9e400a432f_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_8 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And two of brush painted coats of Light Gull Grey. This is a homemade brew and probably could be a bit lighter....and more Gull-ey...but she's done now. Some touch ups needed here and there.

42306361145_c209a7a610_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_9 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Really like the detail in this kit, even if some of it will be invisible e.g. the cockpit ceiling instrument panel..

42492074514_60ab7dfe16_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_10 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Masked up for the engine exhaust area

42306360835_5cce6bf9ca_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_11 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

And Revell Acrylic Matt black...again, some tidy ups needed.

42306360795_01ee534536_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_12 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

More soon, thanks for looking.

Dermot

• Like 1

So on with the decals on this one. These are by Old66decals.com and went on beautifully.

I've gone for the post-Apollo 11 recovery (hence the three capsules under the cockpit, being the third recovery by this airframe)

41484504950_48c10d7e94_b.jpg

Looking at some reference pictures, I don't think I painted the Gull grey demarcation line 'high' enough up the tail where it intersects with the '66' and the other markings........so I'm going to have to live with that one.

And after a light coat of Flory Models wash. I wanted her to have a little weathering but nothing too severe. I also added tape to the fuselage side which covered the cables running to the door-mounted cameras on the real a/c,

41484505310_cd644a6310_b.jpg

And sitting on the undercarriage. Just a final few bits to add - the rotors, doors, cockpit glazing, aerials, etc and she'll be done.

29424426318_1896ec86f3_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D wip_15 by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks as always for looking.

Dermot

Edited by Dermo245
Fixing photo links
  • Like 1

Looks great and really pleased to see the little PE sensor survived. Pics here you have washed the main wheels which looks much better than the pure white ones in the gallery.

really great job

Colin

2 hours ago, Colin W said:

Looks great and really pleased to see the little PE sensor survived. Pics here you have washed the main wheels which looks much better than the pure white ones in the gallery.

really great job

Colin

Cheers Colin!

On the wheels, I think that's Andy's Helo 55 build in the Gallery  :whistle:

• Like 1

So with the last bits added, Old 66 is done.

I should really have fitted the cockpit glazing much earlier than leave to the end. It test-fitted great, but not so at the end. The cockpit side windows are also very thick but don't have the time to fix those now so will revisit them over the summer. The rotor head also looks like it's sitting too high so that's another one that will need fixing.

29498406118_309eca279d_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D Helo 66 (2) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

The 49th anniversary of Apollo 11 is later this month so great to have her done in time for that and really love that white/gull grey scheme.

41559619220_13e0a98ee1_b.jpgCyber Hobby SH-3D Helo 66 (14) by Dermot Moriarty, on Flickr

Thanks to TrickyRich for a great GB theme and appreciate all your comments - will post some more pics in the Gallery.

Enjoy your Summer!
Cheers,

Dermot

• Like 5