Airfix 1/72 McDonnell Banshee

rafalbert

Hi guys,

I am in with this old girl. Mixed emotions with this one, I bought it at Shoreham approx. 10 mins before the nightmare events took place. Still, it is a kit that I always wanted as a kid but never had so will endeavour to do a good job of it.

IMG_20180319_153343

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 8

welcome aboard, she's a nice model, I remember building her years ago.

I was just reading about those tragic events, I can see why this would bring back memories, hopefully the build will bring you good memories of this model.

Good luck with her and I hope to see her in the gallery.

• Like 1

Hi Rafalbert,

great aircraft and no doubt you will do it justice.

I built it eons ago, and I remember having a shock when I first opened the large box: the plastic looked so lost in the middle of this cavernous container that I thought half the bits had been lost somewhere along the way!

Wastage of paper notwithstanding, it is a very nice kit to build.

Have a lot of fun!

JR

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have made a start! The cockpit has been painted and the fuselage joined up as you can see. My main issue will be not destroying the fine raised panel lines which detail the kit beautifully (to my eyes). I am hoping to get more done over the weekend.

Dave

IMG_20180329_170751

• Like 8

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:10 PM, stevej60 said:

One of my favourite Airfix kit's gonna enjoy this one.

Definitely one to watch, a fantastic kit I remember buying it when the box had one of Airfix's red "New" stars on it and I built the reconnaissance version after sawing off the fighter nose with my mother's bread knife !

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You have been rather silent... Did you manage a recovery?

Well, I hope so.

JR

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, sorry, work has been getting in the way of everything at the moment but I have progressed somewhat. Here she is feeling blue and awaiting decals.

IMG_20180522_095209

• Like 3

Coming along nicely and the damage from the drop is well fixed. I to remember buying this kit when it first came out and was amazed at how small the model was when compared to the box that it came in.

• 4 weeks later...

Decals are all now on, but despite copius amounts of Microscale products I could not prevent silvering all over the place (age of the decals I guess). Still, they are part of the kit so I will live with it. Canopy, wheels etc. to follow.

IMG_20180616_225427IMG_20180616_225435

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have sometimes found if you gently go over the decals and p rick them gently with a pin, another aplication of microsol can "penetrate" and settle out the shivering.

Edited by John_W
Rude word filter...

I did try that several times but to no avail; I guess they are too old. Anyway, I gave the whole thing a satin varnish yesterday (they never seem to be fully glossy), but it unfortunately dried matt. I am not sure if the paint has gone off or whether the heat affected it but it is somewhat annoying. Still, she is done and if I have time in the next few weeks I will try again. The kit itself is a rather pleasant build, but I am not convinced it should have been a series 4. I am currently building a Shooting Star for the Airfix GB and there is not much difference in terms of size, detail or complexity. That said, it is a good rendition of a not-pretty aeroplane!

IMG_20180704_171157IMG_20180704_171254

IMG_20180704_171235

Edited by rafalbert
  • Like 4

nicely turned out, well done. Those clear coats can be a real pain sometimes, the same paint of two different models and it comes out different!

I do remember it was a nice model to build, though I built mine with the recon nose.

I do hope you enjoyed the build, by the sounds of it you did enjoy the model enough to think about building another one. Thanks for joining us, it was a pleasure to have you along.