Airfix Spitfire - Battle of Britain No.3

Hi again,

Number 3 in the BoB collection - Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk.1

Again a super little kit, panel lines overly deep but good fit and detail. Supplemented by the Eduard PE set. Paints are MRP and Xtradecal decals.

Couple of glaring mistakes but I won't highlight them (I'm sure someone will!) :huh:

Looks nice in the flesh, but hasn't photographed as well as the other 2 for some reason... It is hard in this scale :worry: tempted for a switch to 1/48...

Anyway, still waiting for my perfect model... 

Cheers,

Guy

fullsizeoutput_ed4.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ed6.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ed7.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ed5.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ed8.jpg

fullsizeoutput_ed9.jpg

• Like 25

Very nice and proper Spit!

Kudos for indicating the panel joints over the decals, making them look painted on!

That said, I feel that the panel lines, especially on the fuselage, are much too heavily emphasised, giving the model a sort of Lesney diecast look.

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Like 3

Nice Spitfire , I really am enjoying your Battle of Britain builds , I have to agree with previous comments as regards to the depth of the panel lines

which do seem a little bit too deep. As regards to your mistakes I can only see one which is the front wind screen seems to be a little bit too far back on the fuselage , I cant spot the other one ? All being said a lovely model :yes:

You're right, the panel lines on an otherwise lovely little kit, are a bit on the  heavy side. But you can't do much about that (although it's not a problem I have to worry about when slapping 6 or 7 coats on with a hairy stick!). May I ask what paints/colours you used?

12 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

You're right, the panel lines on an otherwise lovely little kit, are a bit on the  heavy side. But you can't do much about that (although it's not a problem I have to worry about when slapping 6 or 7 coats on with a hairy stick!). May I ask what paints/colours you used?

Yep, again I agree.. not my finest hour (excuse the pun..). They are trenchlke - not sure how to overcome that, although the panel line wash doesn’t help I guess.

It really has made me think I’m probably going to start again the whole collection in 1/48th... back to the drawing board... 

The colours are MRP lacquers - lovely. And they have ready made RAF colours - although I have lightened the RAF Dark Brown - just looked too dark to my eye in this scale.

On the plus side - excited about ordering a Blenheim or Defiant in 48th! 

As regards a 109E in 48th... Eduard or Airfix? 

12 hours ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

And impressed you had the nerve (I mean, skills) to cut open the door and canopy in this scale. Scared me just to think about it! Well done...

It’s not too bad.. the challenge is to thin the edges of the opening and the door has to be sanded back to wafer thin or will look silly... 

The canopy is also overly thick - another problem with 72nd - I ended up ordering a vacform but only used the centre section in the end.

I presume the Tamiya 48th Mk1 Spit is the only option? 

While I’m at it I may as well come clean.. the camo is the wrong pattern for this aircraft and on top of that the colours are reversed! :huh: You live and learn (but just think how perfect my 48th will be after all these mistakes! :lol:).

On 19/03/2018 at 11:09 PM, keith in the uk said:

As regards to your mistakes I can only see one which is the front wind screen seems to be a little bit too far back on the fuselage

I hadn’t noticed that :o in my defence - that’s where it fits on the model? 

Thanks for looking in though - more to come and hopefully back up to standard...

Cheers

Guy

Edited by Gisbod

I confess I felt the Dark Earth looked far too light but that may just be the way it photographed. And may be it didn't need the wash. Here are some (admittedly pretty rubbish) pictures of the same kit I made on coming back to hobby a couple of years ago:

2RJjPefABUKop8NLMx75hM4KB5QBT_fqwCKj800BJ8bD2WwhEmEnVvWCDZ8P4AKFp2V_8cpI-Y1tLiS26__EeiGYIFGFw5XfhcBS_lCKZNNB3jRNssBxjuIBoD4oXSZX2_QAMsooQJRzpEvFL-fPVeERAeBYZvcGGhRMbWC9aBTTjecF29u6UwYrHCpkhrDjUXAm1LN7YgaFj5LBCD4xXhuytMB67wRJPaq7XNStMTYNxF9DAhBq3oC8DiRy_srluhqqA-r0om0TeA4njXtBEycjVzu624k5sp00RO3qLhMqc3DmBXNCXX3OTqYm-KBqDLI5rLGINvdYGpB4yoIkYADk5410BLdwj_csjCaVjpq9dJucWU4IovM3gZ_yIQgm47H5SWL-Glhoa9ZkGWTMY_dAsMtjs07nTBtoGR-tvy7IrBZa-ipHDPQIJXIp7n9BR9pX7rZMMAzZUqzjyUMRXo1ZdJnkK5IHXK3S2Iro8L9EGW40r8GxX7Db3kkKUnJ9eB_0DusE3pjJbgL0ixZ5GGsqQbZAGlzI0zzsRwMwt7p9NfIAXzE9tJhsZ3LIuFdymakME-4RTJVFeYTyCVsGLwnAXHhllqUr_ftVK8Y=w910-h653-no

KbibchgcDNzh8R3hQV8KOKcF1dXJhzdVuT5T_GeC4I5ZvKqbSE9KjfK0RhHJE8zHSUlgwGYQWPrRh8yUSeyz7tDWA1v3pwgeox1Daqm-2Lx6AV0zy8OysmQh1UV0p-M84eXZ4EFuPm_OPvRZm4L83JhNGN98FUdqdBWgomyg18Mh7s0Ioa5pywXtISAcWhjgmaSNRLwefBaQe73XXb9HDVlcNKK3kH1EurJfp9WY21ao5bK9EXREiPX2pIeo0NCj6iUXMZB8tj0A6-097Vq7JP-ylD1OThTrceoW8HW07P68d4xtD1c__-pnsIdbCXakhq5D5_tAMU-sfoO8kpCc3Fxsd3xunUunALO9CsWdq_6mb52OigpXUoMhVomXDvG_52az1knK85x8ZgtAo1SrbhY1rHNwp8v5U-wYuOS7ylzUTR7puQjHF1Y3v74YH6GKYBbpOHNbMeCkfZRn21VhE5c3HJaE4yDttRRbi-qUXdyhRGJoBGOmPz7FAwqSDc09sJu5ZGJNBUDGQSwfDw9gNZrBSWfamW9-jkzHHzYDXPeYn41y-wFWmEWDKZ1PgxZesaO5taKmobcRE8dV8M6iFG3Yr3tp3Bw8J9QgGEA=w801-h653-no

Xg0ajRPhpdo9ZrNTrdF7VzXsWSmPUbVmZePrl5LHQ2X-twxFhLlaMgOcpaR_lvOb3nt1C_w2rroZUZe61jhLIEBTUHHHdVnTHA7TO1sv-pJxTyFzFC4mjTWpmT9pmTqDw3daiubiE7dQ15io-gkeam_7-luSnZCldggNTEfluqQk4xLP6p7FPhbJKt5Dfi1e4DDp8azcG3LSH9n1vIpUiep84Iy-VLPUDdYlP09erLQIumybVgOGBBu9KY9Nbl51PnCwdevZmQpOc5EDL5RARrwAMIyRS9c7OENGzD26y0Mh39SjNXNA3DSkt_yHh3cq8MMwB9NzPLtVux4U9fnJMpwUbOezn1A8VA7ipYpIk3M2iyAN8cgO-BVc3zQFup0ACA9il4YGjl_igdVQaytWoDVuCXd7Lrl64D2FO84csy6W2PJWNn6HOJIfULYw1t9YuoAbzgpTR16Ea9ITwP3GLIW13aSBeIc59if6zA_RYkZt4u9TylwZf8rZIEZQpFu4DxMwLHTG_9zBtYg1Y3K09QH-25l_r9tkBZ5SfxsOqokSG41DH2Gnwvs3g9SgDVo6YT9UJLWBBtKrkb2Uhnn23Bq4S0qrwxJWbzFn6bI=w490-h653-no

All that brush applied humbrol enamel certainly disguises the panel lines, a bit.

As for a 1/48 Spit Mk1 I'd say you'd be better off going for the new(ish) Airfix. The Tamiya is an easier build and Airifx chose a none to clever way of engineering the gear legs...

...but, shape, options OOB and value wise, I'd put my own money down on the Airfix kit (which, in fact, I have!) Plenty of excellent reviews on here and this one:

is just perfect for your purposes (not to mention an excellent read AND a superb example of what mine can do with a hairy stick!). 

I wouldn't presume to know enough about 109s (real or plastic) to recommend either. But someone will be along in a minute to point you in the right direction, I'm sure.

Very nice Spitfire. I did one myself about a year back, might post it on RFI soon.

You have to resist the dark side ............ but I confess I do get tempted sometimes too!

Cheers

Terry