The mini Beast from the East gave me some unexpected time at the bench so I could put the finishing touches to this:

40004388975_a495963379_b.jpg

It is my last but one Classic Airframes kit. When they stopped producing kits I had 16 in stock and have been slowly working my way through them. Not the easiest CA kit to build but not the hardest either. The main problem was getting the booms and tailplanes straight and level, and I'm not completely sure I did.27027529128_6eb7516d9d_b.jpg

It looks really wonky in this photo but not in real life!!!

40004392975_608384576a_b.jpg

14 Squadron RNZAF is better known for having Black rudders with white kiwis painted on but earlier they used these checks. As I have one in the later scheme this was a natural fit. I used Oldmodel Decals from NZ and they performed really well except for the Letter B's on the tip tanks which are not opaque enough and will get changed when I find suitable decals.

26025684007_04802c4c88_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

• Like 32

Thats a beaut Andy,

Love the Kiwi Venom`s and yours is a real corker,..... I have one planned myself, with a pair of WW2 style 1,0000lb`ers mounted under the wings. 

Cracking stuff,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 2

Thats nice Andy,i've noticed its been on the back burner for a while nice to see you finished it.

My one which you saw on your visit is still on approach to the shelf of doom, will finish it one day.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Thanks Tony, it is a shame there isn't a mainstream Venom kit, there are some nice colour schemes for the type and not just 14 Squadron.

Ian, nearly as long as the Kittyhawk Voodoo has been staring at me malevolently daring me to build it. I saw your build last week(?) on here and can only admire your bravery;).

Michael, there are some nice Swiss one as well, I saw them and the Hunters back in the mid sixties on a school trip to Interlaken, no idea where but we passed an airfield and got the coach driver to stop. Shame I didn't have a camera.

Steve, I always regretted not getting an Aeroclub 1/48th single-seater, I go the NF3 and FAW 22  instead. I did build 3 of the 1/72nd ones though before I up-scaled. They are still in a box somewhere.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Thanks for the kind words folks.

Thanks Tony, it is a shame there isn't a mainstream Venom kit, there are some nice colour schemes for the type and not just 14 Squadron.

Ian, nearly as long as the Kittyhawk Voodoo has been staring at me malevolently daring me to build it. I saw your build last week(?) on here and can only admire your bravery;).

Michael, there are some nice Swiss one as well, I saw them and the Hunters back in the mid sixties on a school trip to Interlaken, no idea where but we passed an airfield and got the coach driver to stop. Shame I didn't have a camera.

Steve, I always regretted not getting an Aeroclub 1/48th single-seater, I go the NF3 and FAW 22  instead. I did build 3 of the 1/72nd ones though before I up-scaled. They are still in a box somewhere.

Indeed the Swiss Vampires & Venoms are cool birds. That airfield could easily have been Matt close to Interlaken where Vampires, Venoms, Hunters & F5 Tigers were stationed.

Glad you had the opportunity to see them :-).

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1

For a fun mix my locally-based Venom is a Swiss one with the Pinocchio nose, but in 14 Sqn colours!

Lovely work Silver Fox, I always enjoy seeing Kiwi machines - especially when they're in markings not often seen. As a kid I lusted after this kit but in the last couple of years learned that, had Dad caved and bought it, I probably would've been bitterly disappointed! I'm keen to give it a go now my skills have improved.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...