Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury

I have managed to start the Airfix 1/48 Sea Fury and am planning on doing it OOB using kit decals and nothing else added to it.

I have started to work on the interior and actually painted it black instead of the usual dark grey to represent 'scale' black. The problem, of course, will be that as soon as the fuselage is closed up all the detail will become invisible due to it being black and having a small canopy opening.

The engine assembly requires care as you need to ensure that you put the four parts in the correct way due to the different sized lugs on each part. You will find that the engine and cowling parts fit nicely together without glue for the test fitting as I have here.

file.php?id=17072

file.php?id=17113

The wheel well is more detailed that the Hobbycraft kit but still needs some extra detail if you are in to that sort of thing.

file.php?id=17074

The tolerance levels on the model can be very tight as the image of the wing joints below shows. This is just sitting there without any glue or anything holding it together. You do need to follow the instructions when fitting the wings and fuselage together as they are keyed in enough that the fuselage won't get in properly.

file.php?id=17115

The engine assembly is slightly ill fitting, the biggest problem is the rear component that is to big. You either need to file the rear section down or add about .5 - 1mm to the center cowling to get it all to be the same size. The front cowling can be sanded down slightly to merge in to the center section easily.

file.php?id=17112

• Like 11

On 19/03/2018 at 10:56 AM, Harvs73 said:

file.php?id=17112

With mine I found that putting a shim of 15 thou plastic card along one edge of the cowling where the fasteners are makes everything fit just about perfectly.

I'll post a photo if I remember to take one.

Tim

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Or even post a WIP?

Martian

good thinking that man, but then that requires forward planning, or planning of any type, something  that is lacking in my psyche! Yeh, OK I'm just a lazy bugger ;-)

Tim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will also have a look if you don't mind ?

I 'll order mine pretty soon I think

Seem to be a great airfix kit !

Congratulations !

sincerely.

Corsaircorp

I thought it would look ok when all together but the center cowling parts are too small and they need help. The next one I will either replace them with AM stuff or make them a little bigger to fit correctly. I have plenty more cleaning up to do prior to starting the paint job.

file.php?id=17182

file.php?id=17181

The tail planes fit well but the locating lugs are a fraction too long and need trimming. If you don't trim them they interfere with the other side and force it upwards causing the wrong angle too occur and just look stupid.

file.php?id=17180

file.php?id=17179

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

Very neat demarcation lines on the fuselage, especially the upward sweep towards the fin, an area I always have difficulty with.

I bought one a couple of weeks ago, with no intention of starting it anytime soon, I just didn't want to find that I wanted one in a couple of years only to find that they were no longer available, I now just have to decide which AM cowling replacement to use.

John

• 3 weeks later...

The decals on the aircraft are finally done and once set properly they will be sealed with some varnish then weathering will commence. I have not glued the landing gear on yet as I want that separate for ease of weathering.

file.php?id=18359

file.php?id=18358

file.php?id=18357

• Like 15

The base wash of thinned black paint has been applied and the matt coat sprayed on once the wash dried. Once it is all dry the detail painting is to commence and then the final weathering and attachment of all the small parts.

file.php?id=18386

file.php?id=18383

file.php?id=18382

• Like 1

On 1/19/2019 at 8:10 AM, Harvs73 said:

I'm contemplating sending off for the Barracuda cowling and a few other things.

I've got the aerocraft cowling for one sea fury and out of an interest to see the difference will get the Barracuda set for a second sea fury build.

Nice work on the original!

Edited by Whofan

• 4 weeks later...

I am finally calling this one completed! I will be adding more images to my site then will add the completed images to here.

The wings are not attached at this point as I should be moving later this year due to work so I want to be able to disassemble it for the move.

file.php?id=18466

file.php?id=18465

file.php?id=18464

• Like 2