1/32 Spitfire Mk.II

Hello all, here is a Revell 1/32 Spitfire I have been building to break the slow going Ju-87 build I am on. It is painted with Humbrol colours and with only seat belts added to the standard kit. It builds ok with a few fit and mould issues, but nothing to serious to worry about.

AvX5497.jpg

YBL1vZB.jpg

VLedVZv.jpg

EL9FSpl.jpg

bhoUbPj.jpg

cytoUv0.jpg

AwBEzUg.jpg

eKgSwhQ.jpg

s27HloF.jpg

WkgirzW.jpg

Hope you all like it, all comments are welcome :-) 

• Like 40
  • Thanks 1

Looks lovely. A really nice paint job with some great tonal modulation in the colours. I'm building the exact same kit with the exact same markings right now. I also have only the seatbelts as an AM addition with the rest straight from the box. I hope mine turns out as good as this one. Great job :like:

19 minutes ago, Newbie(kinda) said:

Beautiful finish. Love the optional position canopy and door! Should the wing 'walk outboard' lines go over or under the wing roundel, I thought under but am never quite sure?

Being honest, I have no clue as to which goes on top. I copied the instructions but they have been known to be wrong, so I'm open to anyone that knows better here.

Great looking Spit and the finish is superb!

I also like the base — what did you use for the grass effect? I’m working on my first ‘realistic’ base for a recent build and am looking for tips. 

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

what did you use for the grass effect?

I don't know what he used but you'd probably be okay using grass for O Guage layouts as used by our train-set brethren.

Hats off to you and anybody else who builds larger scales with all the extra detail work that has to go into them.  I don't dare try even 1/48.   1/72 means never having to say you're sorry!

6 hours ago, billn53 said:

Great looking Spit and the finish is superb!

I also like the base — what did you use for the grass effect? I’m working on my first ‘realistic’ base for a recent build and am looking for tips. 

Hello Bill,

I made the base myself and used various sizes (mostly 2mm) and colours of static grass using a static grass applicator. If you need further advise fell free to message, but check out Luke's APS videos on you-tube on how to layer it better than me 😂

Excellent Spitfire with, IMHO, just the right level of weathering to give a realistic impression. Top marks!

My only small nit pick concerns the emphasising of the (already unrealistically moulded) portrayal of doped linen control surfaces. Anyone who has been around planes with fabric covered surfaces knows that you can just barely make out the underlying structure even when looking closely, since the doped linen is extremely taut. So, any further accentuation is just counter productive…

Also, on a parked Spit, the elevators invariably droop, unless a control locking bar has been applied to the stick.

Overall impression is gorgeous and looks 'just right'! Congrats!

Kind regards,

Joachim

That looks great, nicely built and the finish is just right, used but not abused, as to the wing walkway lines I can only quote the late Edgar Brooks who said that nothing should encroach on the roundel, here's a discussion on the subject.

Cheers

Dennis

13 minutes ago, spitfire said:

That looks great, nicely built and the finish is just right, used but not abused, as to the wing walkway lines I can only quote the late Edgar Brooks who said that nothing should encroach on the roundel, here's a discussion on the subject.

Cheers

Dennis

Thanks Dennis for the information, I'll certainly remember that for the next build. Thanks again 😀

• Like 1

Looks good from where I am sitting :yes: To my eye Revell seem to have got the wind screen shape very wrong, this looks too upright and 

dose not slope back far enough ( I will be using one from the Hasagawa kit when I build mine ) also the wheels are laughable these look like they

come off a BF 109 and are best replaced . All being said a nice Spitfire let down by Revells gaffs

14 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Looks good from where I am sitting :yes: To my eye Revell seem to have got the wind screen shape very wrong, this looks too upright and 

dose not slope back far enough ( I will be using one from the Hasagawa kit when I build mine ) also the wheels are laughable these look like they

come off a BF 109 and are best replaced . All being said a nice Spitfire let down by Revells gaffs

Thanks for your kind comments keith, we all know the revell kit has it's issue in regards to accuracy , but for £20.....who can complain.