Seafire Ib from the Med

vppelt68

When the Bf One-ten is done, I'll start building a Sword Seafire IIc here. I'm either doing one of the kit supplied decal schemes or, if I can get myself convinced to buy a set for an HMS Formidable based bird, I'll do that. No big difference in paint schemes, though! V-P

EDIT: Will do just the Frankeseafire 1b in this GB and the IIc in the MTO GB

• Like 3

welcome aboard V-P and nice to see another Seafire (got it right this time) in the build.

Look forward to seeing what scheme you decide on. Good luck with the build and look forward to seeing it in the gallery.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks Pat, I wouldn't mind building only Ju 88:s but these GB:s don't allow that - luckily!

So the Bf 110 is done and the four day Hurricane too. I'm back to MTO subjects although not building in its proper and dedicated GB yet!

I have been tempted to building a pair of a Seafire Ib and a IIc. The latter should be quite easy though the Sword kit may be too delicate for my taste.

2018-05-21_06-15-14

But then there may be something more here! I've been thinking about that extra pair of Spitfire V - or Seafire I - fuselage supplied in the Sword kit. I do have an extra Revell Vb kit, willing to donate its vital pieces for the empty fuselage and details, and a pair of wings too, but that lack of gullwing is a definite put off... Wait, I do have leftover Airfix Vc wings and Seafire arrestor hook parts somewhere... Here...

2018-05-21_06-15-41

Maybe the Airfix horrorwing center section would fit the Sword fuselage? Oh it does... If I cut that just inside lg bays and add Revell outer sections? How about the other side then...

2018-05-21_06-16-15

:hmmm: not perfect, but doable, maybe better fit than in an Italeri Spitfire kit oob :rofl:

To be continued? V-P

• Like 4

Brilliant improvisation, this must now be the first Supermarine Frankenstein !  🧟‍♂️ :pilot:

As you have hand selected all the parts, it should be miles better than any off the shelf kit.

Look forward to seeing the next instalment 

cheers Pat

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I went through a hip operation 9 months ago. On the operation day, the first thing the surgeon did was to mark the location - and which side - with a felt tip pen. Done that too.

2018-05-21_08-15-37

Tools for the operation; more robust than my usual modelling stuff!

2018-05-21_08-19-20

Beyond the last point of turning back now! To be continued... V-P

2018-05-21_08-36-07

• Like 6

I converted the Revel 1/72 MkV to a Seafire II.  I did the shark mouth one (I just happened to have the decals) and fancied a clipped wing Seafire.  It was a fun 2 day build which one day I might finish.  TBH I didn't bother with the full wing.  The aircraft is modelled in flight and the way it's turning in the cabinet, you cannot see the underwing..

I also built the Special Hobby 1/48 Seafire II in Op Torch Markings which was a much more satisfying build...

• Like 2

Hi V-P

I hope the hip operation went well, I was going to make a joke about still being able to get your leg over,    But thought better of it !  :P

Just a guess but you might need a bit of filler going forward, notwithstanding your saw, file and hammering skills !

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi V-P

I hope the hip operation went well, I was going to make a joke about still being able to get your leg over,    But thought better of it !  :P

Just a guess but you might need a bit of filler going forward, notwithstanding your saw, file and hammering skills !

cheers Pat

you'd better not else you may wake up and find dotted lines all over you and V-P standing over you with that hacksaw!!! :door:

V-P you do look to have a "Frankenstein" build planned there! I think that hacksaw is what I need for some of my resin stuff! Will be interesting to follow this one. 

• Haha 3

Thanks guys, and to answer all your questions and jokes, the hip operation went well, probably a lot better than the Seafire surgery, and I walk, sit, sleep and whatever like a "normal guy" again. Regarding that hacksaw... go easy on your comments about my build, or... And I did have a delicate modelling saw too but it seemed to have lost its edge and became useless! Back to the build; I was anxious to get the interior painted, assembled and the fuselage buttoned up to get to work on the wings. 

2018-05-23_11-05-30

I can´t seem to resize the pic any smaller... but that´s the Revell IP attached to Sword fuselage. Not a lot of difference in shapes. 

2018-05-23_11-20-29

This is the Sword Mk. V fuselage with the Revell interior crammed inside. The headarmour may be a tad low? and the area behind it is incorrect by Revell, but I didn´t bother correcting it, sorry... Those white plastic strips are crude spars to help attach the Revell Vb wings to the center gullwing section from an Airfix Vc wing...

2018-05-23_11-45-45

...which was then attached to Sword fuselage...

2018-05-23_11-47-59

...with the rear having a perfect fit but the front looking like I´ll have to do some further surgery there - but my beloved hacksaw is ready and willing to tackle it! The problem is in the the shape of that Airfix center section; I need to trim down the curvature here and flatten it. If that can´t be done I may have to hide it under a combination of a Vokes filter and a slipper tank! By the way, that lower cowling is from a Tamiya Vb kit so that´s the fourth organ donater in this operation. Thanks for looking, V-P

• Like 2

...and the fit of the gullwing section and rear fuselage don´t even need to be perfect, because...

2018-05-23_11-45-45

...the cut will follow the join. Tbc. V-P

Edit: incorrect! There'll be a few mm:s of Sword plastic left between two pieces from Airfix.

• Like 2

• vppelt68 changed the title to Seafire Ib from the Med

This is real modelling here and I love it! No OOB simple build, but a cut everything up re-arrange the bits then glue it all back together again! Modelling these day has almost become too easy and simple, so stuff like this is awesome to see.

As for a cutting tool, whatever makes the job the easiest, for me it's an old Dremel Micro with a nasty looking cutter/routing bit!  :wicked: Sorting out the gaps is a simple task and I like your wing braces, if you wanted a wee bit more strength then some thin brass rod would do the trick!

But I loving this, it definitely one of the must follow builds, keep you the great work. :popcorn:

Thanks Rich for the encouragement! Let´s see how this old man actually finishes the job or not... Met an old friend last night! BTW the "workshop" is the flower & plant fixing table "I once did for SWMBO". Remarkably nice for this kind of modelling jobs, spray painting, varnishing etc. when the weather allows it!

2018-05-24_07-32-18

Here we have a double chin but a S´fire in my opinion shouldn´t have one like this:

2018-05-24_07-32-59

It´s that too fat Airfix Vc wing that does it - but I had the cure! That looks better, right?

2018-05-24_07-38-24

I made just one single cut with the saw, which allowed me to push up the rear section, and slim down the leading edge. Thanks to Airfix it did have plenty of plastic to allow the job to be done! Add a strip of plastic in the groove and a pint of liquid cement. So much so, that it´s better not to touch that section before it´s completely cured.

2018-05-24_07-55-21

Next step: arrestor hook.

2018-05-24_08-04-10

Not a job for the Hacksaw, but the more precise Chainsaw. We have an opening here, though not cleaned and large enough yet.

2018-05-24_08-09-54

And then it was time to hit the sack - tbc. V-P

• Like 3

Baby steps... The opening was cleaned.

2018-05-25_06-46-07

The arrestor hook through fit nicely and was just secured in place with another pint of extra thin. The part is slightly wider than the fuselage above, but there's plenty of plastic there to trim to correct width.

2018-05-25_06-48-12

Next some hacksaw... No, not that anymore, I hope! Next came some putty to the central front belly or whatever it should called, and then I cleaned the Revell Vb wings and assembled them. They had some flash but not too much to actually matter.

2018-05-25_07-06-48

Tbc, V-P

• Like 2

Ooh a Seafire. Not only that but a Seafire created from various bits of Spitfire - just like the real thing :D 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Col. - also for inspiration and raising interest in these Sea Spitfires by seeing your builds! I'm afraid I'm going to ask for your assistance and share of knowledge in a few details like which spinner and gun bulges should I use!?

2018-05-27_05-54-17

She's got wings! I got a lot of putty to add and sanding to do now. The uppers are quite ok, but...

2018-05-27_05-55-01

Omg... I got what I asked for! Tbc... V-P

Edit: a little later it looks a bit better alredy:

2018-05-27_06-32-17

• Like 3

Big day for the Seafires project - ordered some aftermarket decals so the schemes are now set. Taped around the wing to fuselage seams to help clean the excess putty away.

2018-05-28_06-36-04

Uppers before the putty and...

2018-05-28_06-44-30

...lowers after putty has been added. I like Bernie Günther- novels btw, have soon read them all. RIP Philip Kerr :weep:. V-P

• Like 3

On 5/27/2018 at 4:03 PM, vppelt68 said:

Thanks @Col. - also for inspiration and raising interest in these Sea Spitfires by seeing your builds! I'm afraid I'm going to ask for your assistance and share of knowledge in a few details like which spinner and gun bulges should I use!?

Will help in any way I can :) Is it a Ib you are going for?

• Thanks 1

Same wing bulges and spinner as for the Spitfire Vb seems to be the general rule. Mainly due to the Seafire Ib being a conversion from Spitfire Vb airframes I'd guess ;) 

• Thanks 1

Just catching up with this one V-P (just too many Group Builds at the moment :winkgrin:).  Glad to be here now though - it's inspiring stuff!

Cliff

• Like 1