IJN Carrier Junyo

Shar2

It's been a bit of a struggle deciding which of the numerous carriers I have in the stash to build for this GB, but the 1:350 Hasegawa IJN Junyo has been extracted. On opening the box, I found all the Hasegawa add on packs that I'd forgotten about. Will probably need the full time of the GB to build, but in for a penny and all that. Will take pics later.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

welcome aboard with what sounds like an epic build!!

A lot of boxes in my stash are quite full with "extras", it's always a bit of a surprise when opening some of them.

Good luck with the build it sounds like it'll be a big one, will be great to follow.

Have started the build. What a joy so far. The hull went together very easily, and with the internal bulkheads, very, very strong. Also got the foredeck and quarterdeck fitted, along with all the foredeck furniture and front gun sponsons attached.

build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

• Like 8

Painted the anti fouling last Wednesday, but forgot to take a photo before covering it up ready for he rest of the build.Quite a lot more done to her last night and this morning having got back from South Wales yesterday evening, although it really doesn't look much.  All the sponsons are now fitted along with some of the smaller detail parts.

build4.jpg

The first bits of brass added

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

Major work on brass parts due soon, just making up the AA weaponry at the moment.

• Like 5

Finished the AA weapons and their directors, added the main section of the flight deck and started the island Doing everything to put off the major PE work, but now is the time I have to get on with it so that I can add the forward and aft flight deck sections..

deck1.jpg

deck2.jpg

deck3.jpg

deck4.jpg

• Like 3

Well, after an afternoon of fiddling about with the framework, I've got to this stage. Not glued to the deck yet, and still needs a little bit of tweaking, plus the last few smaller bitts will be easier to fit once the rest have been glued down. Not as bad as I thought, but had to apply some detective work as the instructions weren't the easiest to follow,

braces1.jpg

braces2.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

WOW! :yikes: That is a lot of PE to do plus it's done beautifully! Bet you eyes need a break after that effort, but boy it does look amazing!

I normally attach myself to the model at some stage of the process, but you have some really clean work going on there.

Thanks Rich. Yes I did go a bit crosseyed. I have started the aft section bit, but thought I'd better stop before mucking something up.

Before I could add the rear section of the flight deck, I've had to build these landing craft, as they sit in the wells in the quarterdeck.  Not brilliant, but no-one will see.

lg1.jpg

lg2.jpg

Also removed the moulded on cradles for the etched items.

• Like 2