H builds two small Grumman Intruders. FINISHED

Hockeyboy76

no problems at all, welcome aboard.

This is the second of these wee Tamiya models, it's great to see some of these more unusual scales in GB's, plus it's an Intruder, gotta love that.

Well good luck with the build, hope you have fun and look forward to seeing her in the gallery at the end.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

no problems at all, welcome aboard.

This is the second of these wee Tamiya models, it's great to see some of these more unusual scales in GB's, plus it's an Intruder, gotta love that.

Well good luck with the build, hope you have fun and look forward to seeing her in the gallery at the end.

Unusual scales, I may have to crack out my other rather eggceptional Intruder to add to this build. 

• Like 1

hmmmm..... I don't actually know whether the "A-6 Eggtruder" is actually eligible for the GB or not? If it's done up in correct squadron colours then.......

I actually don't have a problem with it if the scheme is correct, if there are complaints, then at the very worse it won't go into the vote, but it does help to inject some humour into the GB, plus these models do bring a smile when you see them.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, trickyrich said:

hmmmm..... I don't actually know whether the "A-6 Eggtruder" is actually eligible for the GB or not? If it's done up in correct squadron colours then.......

I actually don't have a problem with it if the scheme is correct, if there are complaints, then at the very worse it won't go into the vote, but it does help to inject some humour into the GB, plus these models do bring a smile when you see them.

So have done some research on T’interweb about the decal options,

option one as per box art a/c number 151826, I can’t find it on Midway other than a Tanker version. I did find a head on shot with 515 on the nose, but that could be any a/c. 

Option 2 my preferred one, VMS (AW) 242 a/c 155624 was land based when these decals apply. 

Looks like I won’t be building it in the GB. 😢

But I do have an “eggcat” and those decals are definitely carrier based, luckily there’s no a/c numbers 🤫

• Like 2

The kit,

resized_bedfefd2-d9c6-4727-8ecd-92afd7b8

looks good for the scale, cockpit tub and seats are molded as a single piece & no control sticks so some scratch work required. Will make a start soon. 

• Like 3

Started on the Tamiya Intruder today, a rather basic cockpit this morning

resized_e2a5eeca-0fa9-4bf9-a23e-e7ef0763

and now after adding centre consoles, sticks for pilot and bomber, seat belts and homemade wire ejection handles, drying under a coat of yellow, I think it’s made a little improvement 

resized_e20d7311-78e6-44e7-a971-47983103

And finally for today, I have drilled out the air brakes. 

resized_38009802-884d-4bd8-b3d6-79c0246f

All in lovely 100 scale. Off to rest my eyes now:nerd:  

• Like 1

mmm I bet your eyes are taking a hammering with these, thats why I stick to the larger scales now days! :D

Nice work though, those airbrakes will look great when finished.

• Thanks 1

Cracked on with this little badger. Fuse joined wings and back wings added, copious filler and standing required, now frying in the paint bay under a coat of Halfords appliance white. 

Coming together very nicely.  As you say though, there's more fettling and filling needed on these 60's kits than you might expect from the Tamiya name.

Cliff

• Like 1

Looking good bud, is the IP print in the instructions scale size? Maybe, like me, you can remember the good old days when some model companies provided paper instrument panels that had to be cut out from the instructions. If this is the correct size perhaps you could use that in place of the decal, attach with some PVA and coat with varnish.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

Looking good bud, is the IP print in the instructions scale size? Maybe, like me, you can remember the good old days when some model companies provided paper instrument panels that had to be cut out from the instructions. If this is the correct size perhaps you could use that in place of the decal, attach with some PVA and coat with varnish.

I did briefly think and dismiss that possibility, but will go back and check now you have mentioned it too. 

By Jove, I think @nimrod54‘s got it, he’s only spot on :idea:

resized_ea083912-f02d-4704-a43a-d7e29f5b

but don’t look at it from the side, if there was crew in I’m not sure they could see over the comming. Now 🤔 where have I seen that problem before?

• Haha 2