Canadair F4 Sabre 1/48th scale

Canadair F4 Sabre

71 Squadron Royal Air Force Germany

Wildenrath 1955

Trying to get back into the modelling groove after a very quiet couple of years. So here is my quick build of Academy's F-86 sabre, representing a Canadair F4. Built OOB with the exception of Eduard Brassin wheels and painted with Mr Paint and Gunze Aqueous Colour. Decals are from an Eagle Strike set.

IMG_0030.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Regards

Howard

• Like 36
  • Thanks 1

Hi H,

Looks like you're well and truly back in the modelling grove already!

Lovely neat modelling skills on show there with paint work to die for as well. Looks like you've got a deft hand when it comes to decalling as well, those air brakes wouldn't have been a easy task to do?

Got to admit, i'm getting slowly drawn to these early camouflaged jets. 

Looking forward to your next build.

👍

Tim. 

I would say well back into the grove Howard. Great model and great paint finish and subtle weathering. I am a bit of a sabre freak with quite a few in the stash, albeit 1/72.

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tank152 said:

Looks like you've got a deft hand when it comes to decalling as well, those air brakes wouldn't have been a easy task to do?

Got to admit, i'm getting slowly drawn to these early camouflaged jets. 

Looking forward to your next build.

👍

Tim. 

Hello mate, not fond of decalling and was nervous about cutting the airbrakes out after applying the squadron bars and roundels. Fortunately all appeared to be ok. Next project will be the over engineered, fatally flawed, unbuildable Eduard FW-190 A8/R2 Royal Edition with one being built as an A9.

2 hours ago, WildeSau75 said:

Very nice entry back into the hobby - like the paint & weathering job a lot.

Cheers,

Michael

Thanks Michael, weathering was a panel line wash and a little bit of MIG Starship Filth oil blusher!

1 hour ago, Sabrejet said:

And in case anyone asks, yes XB630/P did have a 6-3 wing with fence, as you've modelled it! :yes:

Thanks Sabrejet. Yes, found a photo in Cold War Shield so at least I got that bit right!

39 minutes ago, Tony Whittingham said:

Very nice Sabre, congratulations!

my uncle was on 71sqdn. in the Hunter era. Apparently the squadron bar design was lifted from a beer brand😊

Now there's a story! We need to find out which brewery as I feel that might need further investigation!

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Very nice Sabre :thumbsup:

Thanks F4U!

2 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a beauty and love the markings,.........great paintwork too,

Cheers  

Tony

Thanks Tony, appreciated.

45 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Really nice Sabre, lovely job, Excellant finish. :star:

Thanks Jasper, glad you like it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, opus999 said:

Superb job!  I am impressed by the different tones in your paint job making it look appropriately worn!  I hope to paint as well as that...

Thanks Opus,

It's a method I've picked up from other modellers having moved away from the panel line shading technique. I paint on top of a black primer coat by applying the primary colour in a series of mottles, sometimes adding similar tones to create additional variation. Finally, the primary colour is applied as a filter or blend coat. It's not difficult to do but takes time. Here is a Beaufighter being painted in the same style:

F5_DBE583-_CF1_D-47_AB-_A7_F9-56_FCC72_A

F79_D769_E-_F407-4_D9_C-8_CFF-92_CF41_D3

On 3/21/2018 at 10:40 AM, Howard Moon said:

Thanks Opus,

It's a method I've picked up from other modellers having moved away from the panel line shading technique. I paint on top of a black primer coat by applying the primary colour in a series of mottles, sometimes adding similar tones to create additional variation. Finally, the primary colour is applied as a filter or blend coat. It's not difficult to do but takes time. Here is a Beaufighter being painted in the same style:

F5_DBE583-_CF1_D-47_AB-_A7_F9-56_FCC72_A

F79_D769_E-_F407-4_D9_C-8_CFF-92_CF41_D3

I've been trying this approach too! I did a Typhoon and Spitfilre (both in the RFI section) that turned out pretty well, but I think there's still room for improvement.  I haven't quite gotten the hang of marbleing the paint on the black base, but I'm getting closer! :D

The F-86 looks great. Is the beaufighter a current build? (I guess I could go check...)

Edited by opus999
Mixed my acronyms! WIP -> RFI

Yowzah! That's one gorgeous Sabre! Thanks for sharing your shading/painting technique, which I personally think looks a lot more realistic than most of the panel line shaded models I have seen recently. I will certainly try to emulate what you've done with the Sabre and the Beau. I love your choice of scheme and markings, too!

Mike

• Like 1

20 hours ago, opus999 said:

The F-86 looks great. Is the beaufighter a current build? (I guess I could go check...)

Opus, the beaufighter is about 3 years old and not posted on here, will look at your Spitfire and Typhoon builds.

Thanks to Michael and 72 modeller for your comments. 

• Like 1

Cracking Sabre, nice to see them in camouflage. Especially when executed so brilliantly as you've done here. Thanks for sharing the tip on the paint process too. 

• Like 1