PR Mosquito questions

ReccePhreak

I recently got the Tamiya 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI/NF Mk.II kit in a trade.

Since I mainly build photo-recce aircraft, can I make a Mosquito PR Mk.II out of it, or some other recce version? In the SAM Modellers Datafile on the Mosquito, there is a drawing of a PR Mk.II version that has a gun nose and camera ports underneath. A Google search didn't turn up any info on that version. Is it possible to convert my kit to that version, without too much hassle? Any info on markings on those birds?

Larry

Hello

In his book Squadrons of the SAAF and their aircraft 1920-05 Steven McLean gives serials of converted Mosquitos, flown by 60 Sqn. SAAF, as DD743, DD744 (Mk.II), HJ672 and HJ673 (Mk.VI). Mk.IIs had Williamson camera (?) installed under navigator's seat and I presume the same was the case with Mk.VIs. Unfortunately, no photos of these aircraft are included. Cheers

Jure

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

Look for the SAAF role in North Africa, using two F Mk.IIs as PR aircraft.  Possibly 60 Sq SAAF?

Hi Graham,

A Google search for Mosquito "PR Mk.II", found your excellent posting in the 72nd Scale Aircraft forum in February 2013.

I just now joined that forum, just in case they might have more recce aircraft info that would be helpful to me.

Searching the SAAF Forum has also proved useful, so I think I am getting closer to collecting all the relevant data I will need, in order to make my Pr Mk.II Mosquito.

Thanks for the help.

Larry

8 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

these links maybe of interest

http://www.saairforce.co.za/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8915

and 

SAAF Mosquito, Bari, Italy.

Thanks for the link and the photo. Lots of good info on the SAAF Forum.

Is that photo supposed to be a recce Mosquito? It's hard to make out the type and the tail number.

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak
More questions

Hi

the comment under the linked page photo says

HP968, FBVI, armament removed

so presumably a recce mossie

unless someone knows otherwise ?

cheers

jerry

Hello, Larry

There is an in-flight photo of DD744 in the book I mentioned, which I somehow managed to miss. There are also two other photos of the same plane here. It seems that cannon armament had been removed to make room for a camera, although machine guns had been retained. Cheers

Jure

Another possibility would be a PR.40. These were Australian production and converted from the MK.40 which was  the same as an FB.VI. There would be some conversion work involved in doing the camera positions in the nose and rear fuselage. Colour schemes would be overall PRU Blue or Aluminium dope. PM me if you want more details.

Peter Malone

In his book, "Above All Unseen" (ISBN 1 85260 528 6), Edward Leaf describes, on P.71, how 1 PRU having lost some of its early PR Mosquitos, obtained two Mk.II fighters and converted them to PR.II's.  No further details are given.

Again from the same book, on P.161/162, the author states that when 'C' Flight of 681 Sqdn was split to form 684 Sqdn at Dum Dum on 29-9-43 (the split actually occurred in the November), it was planned for the Unit to have 20 PR Mosquitos but at first only had four B-25 Mitchells and five Mosquitos (two PR.II's and three PR.VI's).  Again no further details are regrettably given.

A little - but may help

Dennis

5 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

Again from the same book, on P.161/162, the author states that when 'C' Flight of 681 Sqdn was split to form 684 Sqdn at Dum Dum on 29-9-43 (the split actually occurred in the November), it was planned for the Unit to have 20 PR Mosquitos but at first only had four B-25 Mitchells and five Mosquitos (two PR.II's and three PR.VI's).  Again no further details are regrettably given. 

According to Rawlings' Coastal, Support and Special Squadrons of the RAF and Their Aircraft, 681 Sq operated the following "de Havilland Mosquito II, VI": DZ696, HJ730 U, HJ759 W and HJ760 Y.  Of those the HJ-serialled aircraft were Mk VI and the DZ-serialled one a Mk.II (source: Air-Britain serial listings).  O/T but Rawlings also give the following idents for 3 B-25C Mitchell IIs operated by the unit: MA956 E, MA957 Z, N5/144 C, later Z.  (N5/144 is an ex-Dutch aircraft that the RAF never got round to reserialling).

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Hello, Larry

There is an in-flight photo of DD744 in the book I mentioned, which I somehow managed to miss. There are also two other photos of the same plane here. It seems that cannon armament had been removed to make room for a camera, although machine guns had been retained. Cheers

Jure

Hello Jure,

2 interesting items in that SAAF Forum posting:

1. They installed one vertical camera & two oblique cameras. Too bad I don't have info on exactly where the camera ports were located.

2. They mentioned the midnight blue paint scheme, which would look so cool on a Mosquito model. Too bad there don't appear to be any photos of the plane in that scheme.

Cheers,

Larry

Edited by ReccePhreak

12 hours ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

the comment under the linked page photo says

HP968, FBVI, armament removed

so presumably a recce mossie

unless someone knows otherwise ?

cheers

jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that info. Too bad I don't know where the camera ports were located.

Larry

10 hours ago, Sky dancer said:

Hi,

There is a second photo of this Mossie later in the album, which may be of some help:-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/6157774839/in/album-72157605269786717/

All the best,

M

Thanks for the photo.

Larry

7 hours ago, Magpie22 said:

Another possibility would be a PR.40. These were Australian production and converted from the MK.40 which was  the same as an FB.VI. There would be some conversion work involved in doing the camera positions in the nose and rear fuselage. Colour schemes would be overall PRU Blue or Aluminium dope. PM me if you want more details.

Peter Malone

PM sent.

6 hours ago, sloegin57 said:

In his book, "Above All Unseen" (ISBN 1 85260 528 6), Edward Leaf describes, on P.71, how 1 PRU having lost some of its early PR Mosquitos, obtained two Mk.II fighters and converted them to PR.II's.  No further details are given.

A little - but may help

Dennis

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the info. Another recce model IO want to do is one of those PR B-25Cs, using the Accurate Miniatures kit. Someday.

Larry

29 minutes ago, ReccePhreak said:

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for that info. Too bad I don't know where the camera ports were located.

Larry

Thanks for the photo.

Larry

PM sent.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the info. Another recce model IO want to do is one of those PR B-25Cs, using the Accurate Miniatures kit. Someday.

Larry

If you don't have the book Larry, try and get hold of a copy.  It has quite a good description of the layout of those B-25C's.

Dennis

44 minutes ago, sloegin57 said:

If you don't have the book Larry, try and get hold of a copy.  It has quite a good description of the layout of those B-25C's.

Dennis

Thanks for the suggestion. The title sounded familiar, but I couldn't find it in my recce "library". I checked online, and most of the available copies are in European shops. In fact, one is for sale in a shop in Stamford, which is just down the road from Wittering, where I lived for awhile in the late 80s. I will have to save up for a copy.

Larry

Hello, Larry

Agreed, Midnight Blue Mosquito with orange centered SAAF roundels would make an interesting model. Here is another page from one of SAAF forums with a photo of Mosquito FB Mk.VI HJ673. The photo must have been taken shorty after delivery as this particular Mosquito had been written off after landing accident after only three days service with 60 Sqn. While I am far from certain, I am inclined to interpret her colours as PRU overall with regular RAF Brick Red roundel centers. Cheers

Jure