OMG: another one! 111 Sq Airfix 1/72 Hurricane

Angus Tura

I want a quick build and thought this:

Dated bits

...built OOB, with Xtrakit decals for a 111 Squadron Mk.1 at Dyce, Aberdeen (on the right here):

Decals

would be ideal...

After reading about the kit here on Britmodeller, however, and slightly tragically looking at serial numbers in the Hurricane Datafile, I now realise that you can't have these decals on that wing.

I do want to make some "Scottish" subjects, just because I'm Scottish. After some Googling last night I read that 111 Sq were sent to Wick in the winter of 39-40 and I found a very helpful picture of two of their hurricanes facing each other. So, there is a view under both wings. I'm not sure of the copyright situation for photos, and I don't want to get banned. Here's a link:

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/uk/raf/hurricane/groundcrew-refuelling-hurricane-mk-i-l2001-ju-b-of-no-111-squadron-raf-at-wick/

The codes are in a fairly weird style which will be a bit challenging, and I'll need to think about the four spoked wheels and the metal panels missed on the wings, but it should be doable and looks a nice kit.

Hope to start cutting this evening.

Alan

• Like 4

Another one!?! Oh go on then :D Welcome to the GB Alan.

I didn't realise 111 Sqn Hurricanes were based at Dyce for while. Every day's a school day.

I used the blade at the top of the picture to scrape down the ridges then applied some Mr. Surfacer 1000 and used some 600 grit sandpaper. Finished with a wee buff with a fine grade Squadron sanding stick.

wing

Chris

• Like 3

Good choice Alan,why on earth Airfix still have not re boxed this kit with the metal wing option is beyond me,they would sell bucketload's I've

done half a dozen of this kit but after the foreign user's most of the RAF scheme's a much alike.

• Like 2

Thanks for replies. Chris, thanks for the tip. I love the sentence, "Finished with a wee buff...." Either you have polished the plastic...or handed the mitten to a small but attractive Scottish person!

Col, yes. I was also surprised but there they were. Having found the internet photos I also find several photos in print, in the Robert Jackson Hurricane book, of 111 Sq. Hurricanes at Wick. Unfortunately I think all of their Hurricanes would have been retrofitted with three blade propellers by the time they got there. A shame: it would have been nice to do the fabric wing with the Watts propeller.  

I do want to do the kit OOB but I like cockpits open, and I want to fix the wheels and the wing, a la Chris and make the instrument panel better. So, I thought I'd do those things first and then just build it. So first the canopy.

I carved off the canopy rail behind the cockpit but then the canopy stands too proud of the coaming behind the cockpit:

180321 ill-fitting canopy

So, I've sanded down the coaming to let the canopy sit down properly but this serves to show that the canopy is wider at the back than the front:

180321 port canopy bad

So a small former made out of matchsticks, bit of wood and epoxy:

180323 canopy former

I tried a hairdryer on it but without success so I held it over boiling water for 15s, then cold tap and:

180323 canopy fits now

It worked! And I haven't melted the canopy! Celebratory glass of Diet Irn-Bru!

Next the other stuff.

Alan 

• Like 9

Good job getting the canopy reshaped :speak_cool: Remember to open up the hand-hold and step on the fuselage side while you're at it. My one has a slightly deformed canopy and those latter bits aren't open :(

• 1 month later...

Col.

I'm sorry but this is never going to get finished in the time of this group build because I am bleeding determined to finish my F-15 (another unfinished GB for me). So, I'm going to slide this into 100years of RAF instead.

It will hopefully be finished in time for me to start the 1960s GB on time...

...a pattern is emerging! 

Alan

• Like 1

No stress Alan. This is a hobby and we should be doing it for fun ;) Good luch with your F-15 and hopefully see you for the 60s NATO Vs Warpac GB :)