Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Thanks CC - I can understand the confusion over the 'Sabs' - BM would have me think it's 'Stabilising Automatic Bomb Sight' but I knew it wasn't that...

Thanks Bill and James for pointing (ahem) out that it's the bumps on the sides. I knew I'd boobed :wicked:

Thanks Benedikt - relaxed and cool, that's the ticket! :D

Steve you need a sihrsc file - just stroke it over lumps and they're gone. Saves ages on sanding. Recommended! :)

Ian you're right - it should be added to the abbreviations :)

Stuart good to see you're joining the sihrsc club - welcome! :)

Thanks Keith (the Goldfish). Thanks Keith. Thanks Keith :D

Canopy masked and glued on just before bed... night all!

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

ahem !!

Following the advice of @71chally, I went back home...

Say to Mem sahib that I'll go on bm a bit...

Re-check the name of the actress and Google it ....

BUT I did'nt notice that a very suspicious Mrs CC came back behind me ....

Ooook I tried to show her the significance of the Sabs...

She half believed me, I think ... Well perhaps...

Will be Spitfire game tomorrow :huh:

Sincerely.

will not start a Pin uped A/C next week...:wub:

CC

• Haha 8

12 hours ago, CedB said:

Apparently we're now on 'DST' so I think it's gone German on me, even though it's set to 'Eng'.

Isn't DST 'Daylight Saving Time', Ced? The reason this daft nonsense of mucking about changing the clocks was brought in in the first place?

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Following the advice of @71chally, I went back home...

will not start a Pin uped A/C next week...:wub:

CC

I forgot to issue the warning, that if you are to Google Sabrina add the words '1950s' or 'Norma Ann Sykes' otherwise you could find images of the other rather prodigious Sabrina (Noma Salerno) so beloved of us late 1980s types!   

sabrina-boys_s_8.jpg

Probably more Starfighter than Hunter!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Thanks CC :rofl2: Can I suggest you never sit with your back to the door? I would say that this is 'an old Spy trick' but best not draw the attention of 'the Services' at the moment! :D

Thanks Keith :) Ah, yes! Could be 'Daylight Saving Time' I suppose... it's still an hour fast though, dammit.

Thanks James - that picture certainly got a 'like' from me! :)

Still no clue what the bumps are on the aircraft...

I had a quick search for 'Hunter Sabs' and, after filtering out all the Hunt Saboteur links, this diagram shows that they're 'Ammunition Link Collector Boxes'.

Still no clue... collects the links between the rounds I guess. Are they more valuable than the shell casings? Bet that caused a heck of a rattle when the guns were fired.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

As you suspected , the sabrinas collect the steel links which hold the cartridge cases together to form a belt . The reason for collecting them but not the cases is that the cases were heavy enough to fall clear of the aircraft , but the links weren't  and tended to damage the underside of the aircraft 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The sabrinas were indeed link collector boxes.

Initially the ejected rounds links would simply enter the airflow via chutes but it was later found that they were damaging the underside of the aircraft during cannon firing. 

The fairings literally collected the expended links.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

The sabrinas were indeed link collector boxes.

Initially the ejected rounds links would simply enter the airflow via chutes but it was later found that they were damaging the underside of the aircraft during cannon firing. 

The fairings literally collected the expended links.

Are these Sabrina présents on all the Hunter, I have a F-4 with the undented wing

But I'm not sure that the previous version did get thaaaat Bulges ??

Thanks James

• Like 2

F4 might have been where they learnt to catch the links, most aircraft production programmes allowed learnt development

I can't remember what I heard about the links being reused, I know I have reloaded links on 7.62mm Gimpy belts but that was most likely field operational requirements

We had them in already linked usually from the armoury, I can 'just' imagine Ray the armourer sitting for along lonely nights linking belts for us

But I have an awfully good imagination

On the whole the links are worth less than the brass, always had to recover brass from the range on Sennybridge

Never Gimpy links

😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

the other rather prodigious Sabrina (Noma Salerno) so beloved of us late 1980s types! 

Now I know where the 71 in your nickname comes from :wicked:  :D (I guess - mine would be 70) 

Ciao

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Are these Sabrina présents on all the Hunter, I have a F-4 with the undented wing

But I'm not sure that the previous version did get thaaaat Bulges ??

Thanks James

Perdu has it in a nutshell really, over the early years of service successive marks of Hunters encountered various problems and so remedial modifications were issued, so the addition of the link collecter bulges were not mark specific.

You will see pictures of F.4s and F.5s for example both with and without the bulges.

I think that generally speaking all Mk.6s and 9s had them, due to being later aircraft.

Some nice Belgian Hunter F.4s without

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker Hunter F.4/Hawker Hunter F.4 ID005.html

...and one with

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker Hunter F.4/Hawker Hunter F4 Frontpage.htm

Edited by 71chally
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, 71chally said:

Perdu has it a nutshell really, over the early years of service successive marks of Hunters encountered various problems and so remdial modifications were issued, so I don't think the link collecter bulges were mark specific.

You will see pictures of F.4s and F.5s for example both with and without the bulges.

I think that generally speaking all Mk.6s and 9s had them, due to being later aircraft.

Some nice Belgian Hunter F.4s without

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker Hunter F.4/Hawker Hunter F.4 ID005.html

...and one with

http://www.belgian-wings.be/Webpages/Navigator/Photos/MilltaryPics/post_ww2/Hawker Hunter F.4/Hawker Hunter F4 Frontpage.htm

Great thanks James,

Mine will be a 112nd Sqdn one for my Sharmouthed british aircrafts, I already have a decal sheet for her.

Her... In the 80' my favourites female singer were both 2 Brtitsh army productions

First and still a soft point for her is

41069356831_a5a29bdc28_b.jpg

And the other one is .... Her

41069356881_1e66b7568f_o.jpg

Sorry for the drift Ced !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

First and still a soft point for her is

I like Kate Bush very much since her Wuthering heights album (Her best! Imho)

Ok, 80'drift: She also belongs to that too as Sandra, Paula Abdul, Kim Wilde, Janet Jackson.........:

stephanie-estefania-monaco-ouragan-bikin

• Like 4

If I remember correctly, the ' Sabrinas ' were introduced with the Mk6 and retro fitted on some '4s and '5s. On some later Hunters you could see what appeared to be cannon barrels protruding from the nose but where blast tubes with some sort of gizmo on the ends which broke up any chunks of cordite which came out with the shells and could be ingested into the intakes. This was told to me at an ATC camp at Chivenor when it was a Hunter OCU in the '60s

John

PS the Hunter in the head on photo ( previous page ) has the cannon extensions and also additions to the Sabrinas which probably means it's Swiss.

• Like 2

Thanks rs2man, James, Bill and John for the very useful information - great stuff :)

Thanks CC and Benedikt for the pictures of semi-clad young ladies - great Scot! :D

I managed to squeeze a bit more in before the break. Doors scratched:

41069491951_e374c9789e_z.jpg

... and while I was filling those I filled the aerial hole behind the canopy and went down the wing roots:

26198621967_e14b942c0a_z.jpg

... and put a spot on the rudder. Before:

39260925800_2ac5495d1a_z.jpg

After (but before sanding):

41069808791_ecc743724b_z.jpg

More later (perhaps much later!)

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:13 AM, CedB said:

buy some clamps, buy some clamps... there's nothing like them IMHO for a 'gentle hold'

Why aren't there small, locking strap wrenches for modellers?

PSP, BTW, looks like the stuff they used in the desert for getting

their vehicles out when they sank. The pieces all lock together. 

(And I remember it as pierced too).

• Like 2

It is Pierced (Pierced Steel planking) which is Marston Mat, runways that were constructed from it were designated as a Marston runway.

Good recovery on that rudder Ced, dare I say it you have steered the build back on course!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 27/03/2018 at 10:29 PM, limeypilot said:

Yes!

Recommended by no less than Bill@perdu, and Ced.

Oh, and me!

Ian

Recommend by me too. Great bit o’ kit.

Brilliant scratch work and general modelling dear boy. Top notch stuff.

Johnny

• Thanks 1