Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Speaking of decals, I received an envelope from Australia today with the Dekl's sheet of Mirror Image decals.  These will be fun to apply.

Instructions don't give any colors but show the bottom as white which we know is not correct.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, philp said:

Speaking of decals, I received an envelope from Australia today with the Dekl's sheet of Mirror Image decals.  These will be fun to apply.

Instructions don't give any colors but show the bottom as white which we know is not correct.  

I've ordered a set too. After you sir. :D

Steve.

• Like 1

The HSS is looking good , if a little shiny. Perhaps some semi-gloss varnish is required. 

You were talking about cookery programmes on TV a couple of pages back, have you tried Masterchef Australia?

Cheers 

John

Edited by Biggles87
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Pete :D  I can assure you my bottom was well covered!

Pondering the decals, I've wussed out and ordered this. The stencils were causing me too much grief. Just leaves me the Sqn insignia, roundels, fin flash and the 'H' to worry about. Easy(ish).

Ordering Modeldecals is never wussing out, it is more about achieving enlightenment and knowledge.  Modeldecal instructions are still the benchmark by which I judge all others.

5 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Xtradecal sheet number 72149 has a 'Tower Bridge' Hunter on it. Code number and letter are different tho

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72149

I've got the sheet and I'm doing that one myself

The Hunter on that sheet XF624/B is not the correct Hunter that flew under Tower Bridge, whilst it was Alan Pollock's usual aircraft, the one he flew on the day was XF442/H, In his OP, Ced linked to this article in which Alan Pollock details the change of aircraft.

• Like 2

Nice silver botty Ced, try to ignore requests to make it shine more. Make it 'flatter' instead

You'll be amazed at how right it looks if the shine is gone mostly away

Paint going cloggy, must be an epidemic of that going around too

I just tried to spray my Gannet in RAFBG but the tin has been having a clottage party

Into the airbrush on mixing when suddenly the paint dropped out of suspension and left me with a browny/clearish thinners and a carpet of clog in the base of the paint cup

Good job I still had a jar of Compucolor2 RAFBG from the eighties to use

Anyway, the mighty Hunter looks fabulous mate, I hope Tomo brings his to Cosford on the morrow

We need it on our RAF100 yrs display

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Xtradecal sheet number 72149 has a 'Tower Bridge' Hunter on it. Code number and letter are different tho

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72149

I've got the sheet and I'm doing that one myself

1 hour ago, Wez said:

Ordering Modeldecals is never wussing out, it is more about achieving enlightenment and knowledge.  Modeldecal instructions are still the benchmark by which I judge all others.

The Hunter on that sheet XF624/B is not the correct Hunter that flew under Tower Bridge, whilst it was Alan Pollock's usual aircraft, the one he flew on the day was XF442/H, In his OP, Ced linked to this article in which Alan Pollock details the change of aircraft.

Thanks BK :) As Wez says, that sheet has Pollock's usual aircraft on it and not XF442 he flew under the bridge; nasty error or perhaps mis-guidance, nearly caught me out :(

Thanks Wez :) Pleased to hear that the Modeldecals are good - I'd hate to wait and receive some rubbish!

7 hours ago, philp said:

4 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I've ordered a set too. After you sir. :D

Steve.

Good news chaps and I'm envious... if I'd known they'd arrive so quickly (rather than the date they estimated when I looked) I'd have gone for them too. Let us know how you get on with the 'upside down' decals  -weird eh? :)

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

The HSS is looking good , if a little shiny. Perhaps some semi-gloss varnish is required. 

You were talking about cookery programmes on TV a couple of pages back, have you tried Masterchef Australia?

Cheers 

John

Thanks John - Masterchef Australia? Heck... we did catch the start of Masterchef USA whilst away and the different 'approach' had us grabbing for the remote. :D

44 minutes ago, perdu said:

Nice silver botty Ced, try to ignore requests to make it shine more. Make it 'flatter' instead

I just tried to spray my Gannet in RAFBG but the tin has been having a clottage party

Into the airbrush on mixing when suddenly the paint dropped out of suspension and left me with a browny/clearish thinners and a carpet of clog in the base of the paint cup

Anyway, the mighty Hunter looks fabulous mate, I hope Tomo brings his to Cosford on the morrow

Thanks Bill - flatter it is. Perhaps some of my W&N 'satin'? Sorry to hear you're having AB problems too. :(

Have a great time at Cosford and sorry I'm missing it, it've been good to catch up and see what the proper modellers are up to.

1 hour ago, perdu said:

Will be looking forward to both display and Hunter. Shame it looks like Ced won't be bringing his plus Tower Bridge diorama ( .... hmmmm,  Telford??? ).

Which hall will you be in? Oh, belay that, I think I'll find your display easily enough!

• Like 2

Nice silver derriere Ced...erm that came out wrong but I think you know wot I mean. As the others have said about the HSS, a coat of semi-matte will give it the required effect. My personal view regarding a common error with HSS finishes, is that they tend to be too silvery or too shiny. Anyroad I have been experiencing paint issues recently. Clearly there is a bug going around. Bill be prepared to hear a long rant about Humbrol new recipe enamels tomorrow...

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Do you have the correct coloured wheelie bins in Brum Tom?

Humbrol enamels of recent vintage should be powering elecktrickery generation only

They are ostentatiously too useless for colouring things

I may even have one or two that you could chuck away at the same time

Reminds me, get on the proper disputor and get the Sovereign Paints order form filled in/out

Android tablets don't like the queueing up process in the order book...

😬

• Like 1

Ced,

regarding this diorama of your Hunter flying through Tower Bridge.

Whilst browsing though the photos I took of SMW 2017, I came across this rather excellently made, but badly photographed photo of a tower bridge/Hunter dio.

Iit can be done by you Ced, I know it can!!

resized_3862cb4a-4a6e-4ea8-b336-81e6dcf4

What amazes me is that I forgot about seeing this.

Perdu, this isn't the one you mentioned that "Tommo" might bring, is it?

Edited by Whofan
Spelling
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

John, Bill and Tomo have a great time at the show tomorrow :)

6 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Nice silver derriere Ced...erm that came out wrong but I think you know wot I mean. As the others have said about the HSS, a coat of semi-matte will give it the required effect. My personal view regarding a common error with HSS finishes, is that they tend to be too silvery or too shiny. Anyroad I have been experiencing paint issues recently. Clearly there is a bug going around. Bill be prepared to hear a long rant about Humbrol new recipe enamels tomorrow...

Thanks Tomo - semi-matt, is that the same as 'satin'? :)

Thanks John for the photo of the bridge. Look at the SIZE of the thing, and that's a 1/144 model I guess. Don't have the room to spare (although I did have another look at the Lego one...)

Masking. Disciplined myself to get on with it so I could get the first cam colour on:

41295655461_b470cbfcbd_z.jpg 26425708057_819dfacce9_z.jpg

That'll get a nice long time to dry as it's the 'wine trail' tomorrow and I don't expect to be in any fit state for modelling. Hic.

• Like 12

13 minutes ago, CedB said:

That'll get a nice long time to dry as it's the 'wine trail' tomorrow and I don't expect to be in any fit state for modelling. Hic.

Oh dear Ced, the things you have to do in the name of harmony...

Nice work on the Hunter sir.

Simon.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, CedB said:

Thanks John for the photo of the bridge. Look at the SIZE of the thing, and that's a 1/144 model I guess. Don't have the room to spare

Hello Ced,  as I said before. Clear your garage to build one in '72. All you need is 3,40m  length and 1m height for that. Looking great with a silver belly.

Cheers

Glad that I wasn't  on the market here today  and for the Kiepenkerl incident today on the first sunny and warm afternoon of the year I feel very sad.  My deep sympathy for those who died and got injured today. Nothing is clear at the moment on the background, why a van hit that beloved restaurant.

:poppy::poppy:

• Like 1
  • Sad 11

19 hours ago, CedB said:

Just leaves me the Sqn insignia, roundels, fin flash

I've already said I have the squadron insignia spare for you if you want them Ced - and if I send you those I can also send you roundels & fin flashes. Don't think I can help with the H though....

Keith

edit: I probably have white H's of the correct size, just none with a red outline....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello Ced,  keep your thread as usual and don't bother about  my last part of my last post please. Just  a bit sad today, why  this here and at that lovely and peaceful place. The old town is closed by now,  but the people here are much more relaxed now than you would think. More than any TV-station could transfer at all. Cheers. Benedikt

• Like 11

10 minutes ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced,  keep your thread as usual and don't bother about  my last part of my last post please. Just  a bit sad today, why  this here and at that lovely and peaceful place. The old town is closed by now,  but the people here are much more relaxed now than you would think. More than any TV-station could transfer at all. Cheers. Benedikt

Benedikt, our thoughts are with the people of this lovely town.

Incidents like this shock us sir.

Simon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Benedikt I am sure everyone here shares your feelings about the terrible Kiepenkerl incident

I will never understand what makes people so evil

You and your countrymen have my thoughts this evening, go well and safely dear friend

Now for another dear friend, Ced, could you not trace the outline of the bridge on the upper wall near the piece of ceiling the Hunter will be flying across and pose it as if it has just flown through?

Full on 3D for the exploit...

OK I will get my:coat:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I can assure you my bottom was well covered!

Very glad to hear this. None of those troubling, naked Martin Hale modelling sessions going on here...

Those decals do look good - herrm,  I see there is a Gazelle option in there - would it be rude to ask if those would be going spare at the end of this build? I might be able to put them to good use...

Just a thought.

Plus I'm very sorry to hear about the terrible incident in Münster, (I only learnt of it reading through this thread) my thoughts go out to all the families and friends involved.

Regards,

Nigel

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Oh dear Ced, the things you have to do in the name of harmony...

Nice work on the Hunter sir.

Simon.

Thanks Simon - it will be an effort :D

6 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ced, I did guess it was 1/144th.

And it is a big, big bridge .....

Thanks John - bigger than I have room for... :)

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Now for another dear friend, Ced, could you not trace the outline of the bridge on the upper wall near the piece of ceiling the Hunter will be flying across and pose it as if it has just flown through?

Full on 3D for the exploit...

OK I will get my:coat:

... but THAT's an idea - thanks Bill :)

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I've already said I have the squadron insignia spare for you if you want them Ced - and if I send you those I can also send you roundels & fin flashes. Don't think I can help with the H though....

Keith

edit: I probably have white H's of the correct size, just none with a red outline....

Keith you're a star. I've already wussed out on the other markings so your spares would be appreciated - PM inbound :)

34 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Those decals do look good - herrm,  I see there is a Gazelle option in there - would it be rude to ask if those would be going spare at the end of this build? I might be able to put them to good use...

Just a thought.

Plus I'm very sorry to hear about the terrible incident in Münster, (I only learnt of it reading through this thread) my thoughts go out to all the families and friends involved.

Regards,

Nigel

Nigel the spare decals are, of course, yours if you want them. PM me your current address and I'll pop them in the post when they arrive :)

5 hours ago, bbudde said:

Hello Ced,  as I said before. Clear your garage to build one in '72. All you need is 3,40m  length and 1m height for that. Looking great with a silver belly.

Cheers

Glad that I wasn't  on the market here today  and for the Kiepenkerl incident today on the first sunny and warm afternoon of the year I feel very sad.  My deep sympathy for those who died and got injured today. Nothing is clear at the moment on the background, why a van hit that beloved restaurant.

:poppy::poppy:

2 hours ago, bbudde said:

2 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Benedikt, our thoughts are with the people of this lovely town.

Incidents like this shock us sir.

Simon.

2 hours ago, perdu said:

Benedikt I am sure everyone here shares your feelings about the terrible Kiepenkerl incident

I will never understand what makes people so evil

You and your countrymen have my thoughts this evening, go well and safely dear friend

Benedikt I thought of you when I heard the news and I'm pleased you've posted and are OK. These things are awful and, like most people, I just don't know what these horrid, sad people hope to achieve, other than to strengthen our resolve against them. My thoughts, like others, are with you and your compatriots.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Great work Ced and the underside looks great.  

Benedit.  So sorry to hear about the horrible incident in your home town.  My thoughts are with you and all of the people affected by it.  

Take care and stay safe.

All the best 

Chris 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CedB said:

PM inbound

..received loud & clear Ced!

Out in the garden planting out me veg. at the moment so will get them in an envelope later. Shall try & post them tomorrow, will let you know.

K

• Thanks 1