Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

Nice article Justin :) I watched some RAF 100 programmes on Forces TV and found an interview with Alan Pollock. Great stuff.

There's also an article about 100 photos released by the RAF. They're on a site I hadn't seen before, defenceimagery.mod.uk. Worth bookmarking as a reference.

Thanks Chris and Johnny - not much done today apart from drinking and then lying around (see below) :)

Thanks Keith - very kind of you. Good luck with the veg! :)

Some photos from 'The Wine Art Trail'. Mrs B at the arrival board, me and Helen Lederer who was 'host clippie' and Sir Peter Hendy's Routemaster.

40427670605_8b2a712dff.jpg 27451102078_64ef75dba4.jpg

40427670705_fd8960fa3e_z.jpg

Hic.

• Like 9
  • Haha 7

Hello Ced, good  to see those kind of pictures. :thanks:

Btw I should look for a 1:50 Corgi Routemaster again by chance. Should be looking good along with my Matchbox Londoner. Hope you've had a nice day with your wife and all others. Cheers

P.S.: Also thanks to you all for your fine companionship and warm hearted comments here. Much appreciated. Cheers Benedikt.   :thanks:

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 2

Thanks Benedikt and Bill - yes, a good (if slightly silly) day was had by all :)

I hope to get something done tomorrow morning but, wait for it, I'm finally getting to go to the driverless car trial tomorrow afternoon. Exciting (I hope)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, CedB said:

yes, a good (if slightly silly) day was had by all :)

That sign where your wife was standing by says it all ... :rofl: 

Ciao

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Thanks Bill and Giorgio :)

I did a bit on the Hunter this morning. Having tried to scan and trace the scheme image in Silhouette Studio I failed to get the software to 'see' the camo pattern. Rats. Time to try the old methods...

Scheme scanned, scaled and printed:

26465482837_53dcc473df_z.jpg

Scanned scheme by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Out with the Gyro-cut:

27466574658_c5d8a16a23_z.jpg

Tip for future builders - paint the green first and mask for the grey, it'll save loads of time and mask. :doh:

The paper masks, sprayed with 3M Remount, still don't work on the fuselage:

39539480350_031284e4ec_z.jpg

I shall have to use the Panzer Putty as usual. Ho hum.

The Venturer Driverless car trial was this afternoon. Bristol Robotics Lab is a hugely impressive place - lots of different areas working on different projects, all with loads of cool stuff being worked on by brainy people. Even the Gents toilet was 'an experience':

39543510080_cc8cc8b491_z.jpg

We started in 'the simulator' - a Range Rover Evoque fitted with the same software 'driving' around a simulated circuit on these HUGE screens. There were even smaller screens for the rear- and side-mirrors.

39543510150_2836934a54_z.jpg

The project we were helping with was to assess people's trust in 'autonomous vehicles' so my two partners and I had to watch the system cope with about ten situations and mark how well we trusted it after each. I then had to drive the third circuit so they could mark their trust in me! Gulp. The simulation software was a bit glitchy to be honest - it wouldn't let me accelerate around corners, dammit. Once that was done we did the same trials in the Wildcat. Same circuit and situations, this time for real, much noisier and she stank of Deisel:

41352356261_1a12a4c429_z.jpg

Hopefully the production driverless cars will be less smelly and, without being unkind, better looking. Oh, and go at more than 10mph.

• Like 4
  • Haha 8

52 minutes ago, CedB said:

Oh, and go at more than 10mph.

Hmm

Judgment reserved reservedly

Sounds like a fun day, in truth I hope something useful comes of it

I am a believer in using technology

As long as they don't think they can force me to do the learning required

Far too old, far too dim

far too blinking idle

:(

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Interesting experiment.  We had a setback here in the US when an Uber driverless car (even with a driver who didn't interfere) killed a lady crossing the road.  My understanding was she was not in a crosswalk at the time but I think until all the cars operate in sync ala Minority Report or I Robot, I will pass.

Hunter looks good.  Are you going to paint the wingtips white before you do the green camo?

• Like 1

Thanks Bill :) I'm reserving judgement too - all depends on how good the software and sensors are I suppose and how well the media report problems (that'll be 'sensationally' then)

Thanks Phil :) I heard yesterday from 'the team' that there was general agreement that the car, driverless or not, would have found it impossible to avoid the woman when she stepped out of shadows into the road. I could only find one article about the actual cause which says as much about the media as it does about the technology. As usual.

Paint the tips white first? I thought you'd made my mind up, but when I picked up the model I realised the bottom is all masked. I'll have to do it later. Must plan more :(

I'm test driving a VW T-Roc today (hopefully). I do like my Golf but it's not easy for MIL to get in and out of (yes, that is my excuse).

The Golf had 'adaptive cruise' and 'park assist' which I trust as much as I trust my iPhone, that is 'most of the time, but watch it'. I use the adaptive cruise all the time, especially in heavy traffic (it stop/starts and follows the car in front at a safe distance)

The T-Roc also has 'lane assist' and I'm dying to try it out. Hopefully that will be the usual metaphor...

• Like 6

7 hours ago, CedB said:

Hopefully the production driverless cars will be less smelly and, without being unkind, better looking. Oh, and go at more than 10mph.

Whatever turns out, you look posh in that pic! :thumbsup:  :D 

About cutting your masks: I just had a quick look at Inkscape, the software I use to trace masks, and I noticed there's a free hand tool to trace your lines; is there anything similar in the Silhouette SW? Probably worth a try...

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Hi Ced, Mrs B looks very nice you lucky thing and you got to meet Helen Leaderer - great. 

I bought one of those Gyro-cutters at Telford last year but have yet to give it a go. What do you think about it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Never heard of it. What does it do? Does it do the job? Is it better than a scalpel? Where can I get one?

Hi Stuart :) So many questions...

What does it do? It cuts stuff out but, because the blade rotates, it's very easy to cut around corners.

Does it do the job? Yes!

Is it better than a scalpel? Yes, 'cos it goes around corners.

Where can I get one? Online (search 'Gyro-cut') for about £15.

Recommended!

Manufacturer's video and guide video here.

41 minutes ago, Nigel Heath said:

Hi Ced, Mrs B looks very nice you lucky thing and you got to meet Helen Leaderer - great. 

I bought one of those Gyro-cutters at Telford last year but have yet to give it a go. What do you think about it?

Hi Nigel :) I like it, a lot. Easy to use, cuts well and goes around corners - just takes a bit of practice to get the pressure right so it 'glides'.

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Whatever turns out, you look posh in that pic! :thumbsup:  :D 

About cutting your masks: I just had a quick look at Inkscape, the software I use to trace masks, and I noticed there's a free hand tool to trace your lines; is there anything similar in the Silhouette SW? Probably worth a try...

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) Should have tried that. 'Studio' doesn't have a free hand trace or recognise colours and it looks for solid lines - on this example it fixated on the green (which, if I'd masked the other way around would have been good). I'll try to remember the Inkscape trace next time and import that into the cutter.

Masked and painted:

41316154172_7c34930dcf_z.jpg 27488732578_8fd78f5a99_z.jpg

Yes, I pressed down the mask before spraying and sprayed 'from above'. No I'm not sure it won't creep under the paper.

I don't like leaving the putty on the model for too long as, if you don't make sure it's thin, it creeps around. It's creepy stuff; have you seen how it 'eats' the paint? Weird.

After that pathetic excuse I ripped off the mask:

41359933621_0c8504f893_z.jpg

Happyish. Apart from this:

39550208660_4e77fcee81_n.jpg 41316482512_d6bf3e38ff_n.jpg

... but nothing a bit of touching up won't sort.

Still loving the Colourcoats and how Jamie's 'up close' method gives a nice varied finish without looking like I've 'missed a bit'.

• Like 11

9 hours ago, CedB said:

The project we were helping with was to assess people's trust in 'autonomous vehicles' so my two partners and I had to watch the system cope with about ten situations and mark how well we trusted it after each.

Ha, good job I'm not doing it then, don't think they'd want a big fat 0 for each result!

9 hours ago, CedB said:

Oh, and go at more than 10mph

I think that's quite fast enough for the things. Maybe too fast, as I think a man with a red flag should walk in front of them....

2 hours ago, CedB said:

but it's not easy for MIL to get in and out of

You get a Russian helicopter in & out of your car?  That's impressive....:) (seriously what is MIL? can't work out the acronym?)

Anyways, Hunter is coming along nicely, looking good in its camo!

It's usually at this 'Ced's just about finished' stage that peeps start asking 'What's next Ced'? So can I be first....?! 

Keith

PS I would also like to say that I am in total 100% agreement with Wise Old Bill's post #308 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Hi Stuart :) So many questions...

What does it do? It cuts stuff out but, because the blade rotates, it's very easy to cut around corners.

Does it do the job? Yes!

Is it better than a scalpel? Yes, 'cos it goes around corners.

Where can I get one? Online (search 'Gyro-cut') for about £15.

Recommended!

Manufacturer's video and guide video here.

Got to get one of these, would make my camo demarcation a lot easier. :yes:

• Like 1

So that is a bit like my cheapo X-cut swivel knife then

Mine was about six quid but I've just seen advert for £4.50 at Hobbycraft on a Googling

Nice gear Ced, as you always do, you brought us a new game to play

• Like 1