Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

4 hours ago, cherry268 said:

Story

Great Cherry,thanks very much.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:37 AM, Wez said:

The Revell Hunter is definitely worth a look and to my mind the best Hunter in 1/72nd, I bought a shed load up at a bargain price when ModelZone went belly up (4 for the current price of 1 at the advertised price on the BigH).

The main wheels wheels are undersized though.

Yep the Revell Hunter is really the only 1/72 show in town, by modern kit standards anyroad. Glad to see the Revell re-release. This aircraft is crying out for a new tooling from Airfix, or Tamiya, Hasegawa, or anybody out there...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Thanks for sharing nice to know the pilot is still with us

Roger

Indeed, but I bet he really despairs about the state of his beloved Royal Air Force today.....:(

Keith

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

This aircraft is crying out for a new tooling from Airfix, 

Can't see them doing a 1/72 one anytime soon Tomo, seeing as they've announced a new tool fumble finger scale one.  I waited 20 odd years for them to downscale their Lightning to the One True Scale, am still waiting for them to do the right thing with the Sea Vixen & Javelin, so I think I'll be past it if they ever do a proper scale Hunter!

Keith

• Sad 3

BTW ,He mentioned joining the Thames at Richmond Park. He was over the River at Shepperton less than 4  seconds after I saw him, couldn't miss it. Perhaps he took a straight line across all the meandering it does then hit it properly after crossing Richmond Park towards Battersea/Pimlico. Just checked the map, couldn't follow the river at that speed. Some flying ,that was.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Can't see them doing a 1/72 one anytime soon Tomo, seeing as they've announced a new tool fumble finger scale one.  I waited 20 odd years for them to downscale their Lightning to the One True Scale, am still waiting for them to do the right thing with the Sea Vixen & Javelin, so I think I'll be past it if they ever do a proper scale Hunter!

Keith

Sadly I think you are right Keith. Still I can dream on about the possibility of an Eduard ProfiPACK 1/72 Hunter...

Interesting quote from the article - although the reliability of the eye witness account is open to question - one of the bystanders may throw some light as to the discussion, grey or silver underside:

"There was the most thunderous roar. I looked up and, whoomph, a big silver jet roared by,’ he said."

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, Tomoshenko said:

Sadly I think you are right Keith. Still I can dream on about the possibility of an Eduard ProfiPACK 1/72 Hunter...

I'm increasingly hoping it's the sort of thing Special Hobby may turn their hand to...   ...a Hunter F.4 or T.7 to the standard of their Gnat or Mirage F.1 would be very welcome here!

• Like 6

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

I'm surprised Sword haven't announced a twin stick Hunter to follow their Lightnings and Harriers...

I thought the Xtrakit twin stick Billy Bunters were tooled by Sword?

• Like 1

Back this afternoon from a week in Madeira. It's nice to go travelling but Oh so nice to come home (boop boop).

Nice break, nice people and great food and booze. Recommended. Even 'Bacon and Bananas':

26390610907_1dff493064_z.jpg

No, really, you have to try these things... even when, in a toasted sandwich, it comes with things that reminded me of PC's 'Mac n Cheese' maggots:

26390610917_668162a81e_z.jpg

Rice... puffed rice... I'm almost sure.

Thanks for keeping the thread going while I was gone and for not having a party :D

Thanks John and bzn20 for the Masterchef comments - we like cooking shows in this house :)

Nice to see comments too on the Revell Hunter. I was very tempted to buy some until I remembered my (roughly) WWII scheme. Saved! :D

Thanks again James for the photo of the canopy... I may even try to get that represented. Gulp. Maybe :)

John are you saying you don't want me to pre-shade? Eh what! :)

Great to see Alan Pollock in the news - thanks for the link Cherry and, as Roger says, nice to see he's still with us :)

On 04/04/2018 at 00:03, bigbadbadge said:

Great work Ced she's coming along nicely. 

Some great pics on this thread too. 

All the best 

Chris 

Thanks Chris - I hope to make some more progress tomorrow. Sanding the tanks. Ugh. :)

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, CedB said:

Even 'Bacon and Bananas':

Hello Ced  good to have you back! :coolio:

Errr???;  Ja,  Schinken und Bananen.  Maybe?  :mental: But obviously I'm too old for those experiments :nono: (even if I feel that young)

• Haha 1

Back this afternoon from a week in Madeira. 

Someones doing very well. (Plus that eye-wateringly expensive Spitfire flight..)

Rice... puffed rice... I'm almost sure.

I hope so...

Nice to have you back Ced and look forward to some progress.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks Benedikt - you're never too old to try new things! :)

Thanks Nigel :) Done well, maybe... doing nothing now! Some progress below.

Thanks Stuart :) Crack crack...

Where did I leave the bench:

26399526327_23df8ef6d8_z.jpg

Oh yes, sanding tanks. Oh joy. Get on with it man!

I should have remembered rule #1 of Old Airfix - don't trust the locating pins. The tanks are, er, 'orrid:

41271389231_f15ea6c7f4_z.jpg

Nothing for it but to sand, sand, sand, fill, fill, fill:

41271400241_d8c1d0093f_z.jpg

But eventually all was acceptable and the primer went on:

41233424222_9edddfd5f7_z.jpg

Primed by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Stynylrez grey. Looks blueish in that photo but it isn't, honest.

The airbrush clogged again so I changed to the cheapo. Clogged. I'm wondering if my bottle is getting sludgy. I may try a new one next time (if I remember).

Silver bottom eh? Better do that next and think about the transfers / masks. Soon.

• Like 13

Hey Ced, missed you, glad you had a great break, though bacon and banana butties did make me think.

The Hunter looks good sir and as for the locating pins I totally agree, why they don`t align properly?

Well , we now wait for a silver bottom!!!!

Simon. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Thanks Giorgio :) The holiday was multo bom, obrigado. That's the extent of my Portuguese (sorry Jaime) and I thought it meant 'very good, thank you' but Google translate says it mean 'fine'. It should be 'muito bem obrigado'. No wonder we got some strange looks from waiters :doh:

Thanks Simon :) Wait no longer for the silver bottom:

40566321124_530fd5c33d_z.jpg

Silver bottom by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

VMA 063 Silber, recommended by BMers for HSS. Looks very shiny to me.

Note I've done the bottom of the tanks too - reference shots show the bottom, er, bottom colour and the tops camo. More masking. Rats.

• Like 8

Thanks Pete :D  I can assure you my bottom was well covered!

Pondering the decals, I've wussed out and ordered this. The stencils were causing me too much grief. Just leaves me the Sqn insignia, roundels, fin flash and the 'H' to worry about. Easy(ish).

• Like 1