Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

22 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Is this Fish head talk ? :D

Senior Service.:talktothehand:

22 hours ago, keefr22 said:

The bloke in the Apple Store should have felt a lot more so if he genuinely thought it was broken. But cynically I doubt he did....:whistle:

Yes. Tax-avoiding companies are like that...

20 hours ago, limeypilot said:

There's obviously no hope for me. Page 4 already, although no real progress other than a food order.

Personally I was quite disappointed with Page 3.

Not a single picture of a buxom lass to be seen...:blahblahblah:

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Ced,

The Lego bridge isn't that bad a price and while not 72nd, adds greatly to the display which can then go on a shelf and leave more room on the ceiling for other builds.

Besides, that 3D printer you returned should cover the cost, right?

The fish and chips talk is killing me.  I am half British (me Mum) but was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago so no chips, bread, breading, stuffing, pasta, rice, oh the humanity.  I am adapting but looking forward to when my numbers are down enough for a cheat day.

Hunter is one of my favorite British jets.  Got to see several of them on the tour I took along with Teleford back in 2013.

Best though was when I found out my Uncle Pat was one of the chaps that installed the Dogtooth wing extensions in the field on older marks.  Unfortunately he passed a couple years ago but I won't forget him.

oNkyYG-RS8Lcsj8tmyuyCqSK2dGgy-EW4EoqOURY

Looking forward to the build.  They just did a Hunter GB over at UAMF and while the Revell kit is the favorite, there were some interesting builds going on with the Airfix kit.

• Like 18

That's a great referencing photo Philp, who normally notices stuff like the venting at the rear of the cockpit guide rail or that the canopy frame just 'isnt' over the fuselage.

I hope your numbers become decent  soon

bill

• Like 1

Hi Ced, sorry I am late again, life got in the way.

And I missed the food order too.

The Hunter, such a nice looking plane, I saw Neville Duke`s on at Tangmere Military Aviation Museum a while back.

I shall sit down at the back and enjoy the build sir.

Simon.

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, philp said:

Uncle Pat

RIP

• Like 2

On 20.3.2018 at 10:52 AM, giemme said:
On 20.3.2018 at 10:26 AM, CedB said:

I AM starting to feel a bit like a pervy old man

The thought kinda crossed my mind for a moment ... :rofl: 

I don't think so  Ced as long you will not do or think about things like that:

• Like 1

Painting done. Black-basing on bay windows doesn't work very well by the way... :D

On 21/03/2018 at 00:32, hairystick said:

Senior Service.:talktothehand:

Yes. Tax-avoiding companies are like that...

Personally I was quite disappointed with Page 3.

Not a single picture of a buxom lass to be seen...:blahblahblah:

Sorry Hairystick. If you're desperate I can get me top off and post some pictures later but it's not recommended. I am quite buxom though...  :sick:

On 21/03/2018 at 01:03, philp said:

Ced,

The Lego bridge isn't that bad a price and while not 72nd, adds greatly to the display which can then go on a shelf and leave more room on the ceiling for other builds.

The fish and chips talk is killing me.  I am half British (me Mum) but was diagnosed with diabetes 3 weeks ago so no chips, bread, breading, stuffing, pasta, rice, oh the humanity.  I am adapting but looking forward to when my numbers are down enough for a cheat day.

Hunter is one of my favorite British jets.  Got to see several of them on the tour I took along with Teleford back in 2013.

Best though was when I found out my Uncle Pat was one of the chaps that installed the Dogtooth wing extensions in the field on older marks.  Unfortunately he passed a couple years ago but I won't forget him.

Looking forward to the build.  They just did a Hunter GB over at UAMF and while the Revell kit is the favorite, there were some interesting builds going on with the Airfix kit.

Thanks Phil :) Sorry to hear about the change of diet (groan) and, of course, the loss of your Uncle Pat. Goes to show we should learn as much as we can from their generation while they're still around.

On 21/03/2018 at 07:56, perdu said:

That's a great referencing photo Philp, who normally notices stuff like the venting at the rear of the cockpit guide rail or that the canopy frame just 'isnt' over the fuselage.

I hope your numbers become decent  soon

bill

Bill I hope you're not expecting me to model those bits! :)

3 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Hi Ced, sorry I am late again, life got in the way.

And I missed the food order too.

The Hunter, such a nice looking plane, I saw Neville Duke`s on at Tangmere Military Aviation Museum a while back.

I shall sit down at the back and enjoy the build sir.

Simon.

Hi Simon, nice to see you :)

Thanks Benedikt for the, er, pignography (I made that word up). Naughty piggy :o

If you're hoping for some modelling on the Hunter today I'm going to have to disappoint you again, sorry. Eye test and decorating got in the way.

If you're hoping for some tests on the Portrait Deep Cut Blade, hooray! It's arrived:

40245872904_a07afdc31b_z.jpg

All the way from Spain (despite the .co.uk website) and with a free lolly.

At first I thought it was the wrong model as there's no lump on the top (like the Autoblade) but it fits fine:

40957179521_79d6994d70_z.jpg

So, let's cut some plastic! The Silhouette video on YouTube says to set the blade depth by holding it against the material:

40062911095_d78b0a8468_z.jpg

... but, as we'll see later, this assumes the blade will cut through the material. I started by trying 0.5mm Plasticard and, as we've seen before, the standard blade doesn't cut this easily. Here's the Deep Cut:

27085734668_1dea48b91b_z.jpg

20, 1, 33, 10 by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Those numbers are the depth, speed, force and passes. This was not my first attempt:

40063323065_0294000b37_z.jpg

... but as you can see here by holding the sheet up to the light it has cut almost through and not cut the mat:

40063269425_a99b88bbd3_n.jpg 40063299555_7fed70365e_n.jpg

A couple of gentle strokes with a 10a blade separated the shapes:

26084331137_22e149c382_z.jpg

With 0.3mm Plasticard the results are better:

40957035821_87542761a6_z.jpg

40957048801_45eaef6874_n.jpg 39147575650_28bd62af06_n.jpg

It's cut almost through, still without cutting the mat and the results are quite crisp, albeit with slightly sloping sides in the cut:

27085920198_9323c5ceb4_z.jpg

Obviously one could cut two shapes from 0.3 and glue them together for thicker parts.

I also wonder if other plastic card products might be less dense and so the cutter would do better.

I hesitate to recommend the blade to others but I'll certainly be using it for complex shapes where my scalpel skills won't work. Seems to transfer complex designs to the plastic and a quick 'go over' with a blade and you're done. YMMV!

• Like 10
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, CedB said:

Thanks Benedikt for the, er, pignography (I made that word up). Naughty piggy :o

Sorry Ced, I know I have to answer for that, but I just couldn't resist,  when it came across to me on fb today:lipssealed::blush:

Ced, I will delete the video of course, if it annoys you on your thread. Cheers Benedikt

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

But what flavour is the free lollypop?

Enquiring young minds need to know.

And does it come with sherbert to dip in?

• Haha 8

Right, I'm in.

I was driving over Tower Bridge the other day, and the traffic being what it is - even on a Sunday - I got stuck on the central span for a minute or so. Looking up, I wondered about that moment 50 years ago when Alan Pollock flew his Hunter through there. There REALLY ain't much room - particularly if there's a double-decker or two passing through. The more I think about it, the more amazing that bit of flying seems.

Justin

• Like 8

14 hours ago, perdu said:

Hmm

Hmmm indeed Bill. After Tony's comment on cut pressures I guess I was expecting too much but, that said, it's certainly going to be easier than trying to cut complex shapes by hand :)

14 hours ago, bbudde said:

Sorry Ced, I know I have to answer for that, but I just couldn't resist,  when it came across to me on fb today:lipssealed::blush:

Ced, I will delete the video of course, if it annoys you on your thread. Cheers Benedikt

No worries Benedikt :)

13 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

But what flavour is the free lollypop?

Enquiring young minds need to know.

I don't know (yet) Pete, I'm saving it for a 'special occasion' when Mrs B isn't in - tutting always spoils our pleasures eh? :)

13 hours ago, Wez said:

And does it come with sherbert to dip in?

No it doesn't! Sherbert dips, I remember those fondly. Presumably the H&S people have had them banned due to choking hazards. :)

12 hours ago, Bedders said:

Right, I'm in.

I was driving over Tower Bridge the other day, and the traffic being what it is - even on a Sunday - I got stuck on the central span for a minute or so. Looking up, I wondered about that moment 50 years ago when Alan Pollock flew his Hunter through there. There REALLY ain't much room - particularly if there's a double-decker or two passing through. The more I think about it, the more amazing that bit of flying seems.

Justin

Welcome Justin :) I've just re-read his account in Hunter boys and yes, there was a bus and yes, he was worried about the fin hitting the upper bridge. Amazing bit of flying.

More window work in the house today but I hope to get something done later.

• Like 5

Sorry if this has been said already. I don't have time to read through all the posts.  As far as I'm aware, Hunters of this period were sliver underneath. LAG came later with the tactical red/blue roundels.

On mine I used 1 Sqn markings from Xtradecal, but home made the serials.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Col. said:

How many of us would have paid good money to be standing on Tower Bridge that day?

Yup, double yup in fact  :) 

Thanks to  Ced & this thread I'm now down  a sef of  Dekls off ebay. He seems to have moved a few in the last while. :)

Steve.

• Like 3

Hello Ced,

Sorry, I'm late, but thanks for that thread !

Can't wait to see you tower bridge, may be a bobby stayin' in awe when the Hunter get through !

Sincerely.

CC 

• Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, philp said:

Ced,

Was that photo taken in the museum at Horsham St Faith ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

How many of us would have paid good money to be standing on Tower Bridge that day?

Is there any room for the whole BM community ?? Because they will surely say "Me"

A 1/72 tower Bridge, Ced is incredible ! Come on ! want to see that !

sincerely.

CC

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Actually i think you could do it simpler than building a model of the tower bridge. You can have very high definition posters made nowadays. Why not get a really good photo of the bridge spans and towers. Then blow that up to the same scale of the hunter. Then you can pose the hunter in front of the photo as if its just flown through ? Or just about to fly through ?  

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Col. said:

How many of us

Looking slightly down on it at it whizzed "past" our class room is something not to be forgotten. I'm happy enough with that. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it through the middle the bridge though.

• Like 3

I also ordered a set of decals.

rs2man,

Pic of my Uncle was taken at the Norwich Aviation Museum.

Edited by philp
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, philp said:

I also ordered a set of decals.

rs2man,

Pic of my Uncle was taken at the Norwich Aviation Museum.

Ah , I thought so . In case you're not aware , Norwich Airport , where the museum is located , was formerly RAF Horsham St Faith .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devilfish said:

Hunters of this period

I was working on Hunters at Halton 1970, about 20 of them in total, been there a few years ,none had NMF lower fuse that I can remember

Heres the Halton stack . Cut our teeth on them

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Hunters+RAF+Halton&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjSrazcyoLaAhXK3KQKHTzVCVQQ_AUICygC&biw=1301&bih=602&dpr=1.05#imgrc=icnD0cz1YVjmtM:&spf=1521812873226

http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=157848

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Looking slightly down on it at it whizzed "past" our class room is something not to be forgotten. I'm happy enough with that. I can't imagine what it would have been like to see it through the middle the bridge though.

Where were you? City school in Blackfriars? What a stroke of luck!

J

• Like 1