Tower Bridge Hunter - Airfix 1/72

CedB

20 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

been a 'lookout' on the day

No. See out crew, the ground crew that strapped him in removed Seat Pins and crew ladder, chocks out,  on headset, with extinguishers ,engine start etc. and marshalled it away ..

Take me to the Bridge.. In a James Brown voice !

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

No. See out crew, the ground crew that strapped him in removed Seat Pins and crew ladder, chocks out,  on headset, with extinguishers ,engine start etc. and marshalled it away ..

Ah right, sorry misread the comms...!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keefr22 said:

sorry misread

Perhaps I could have explained better, old habits, RAF slang etc.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bzn20 said:

No. See out crew, the ground crew that were peeled out of the crew room having drunk coffee and played ukkers for the last three hours,  strapped him in removed Seat Pins and crew ladder, chocks out,  on headset, with extinguishers ,engine start etc. and marshalled it away ..and they then went back to the crew room, drunk coffee and played ukkers for the next last three hours...

TECHIES !!  Pah.

Corrected free of charge  ; )

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Courageous said:
2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Enquiring minds need to know where the fish came from....:whistle:

I was wondering about that too

Me too and consquently I thought about another thing too:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, PLC1966 said:

played ukkers for the last three hours

I can tell you right now, that isn't long enough...That was after spending a day looking for Perspex, painting the board, half inching a broom handle for the pieces, cutting that up putting the board together, meanwhile sending someone down to  line or any other crew room to get their 2 dice (sic)..

Cut up cubes of drilled softwood are no good whatsoever ! I do miss a good game of Uckers..Chesty !

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

set of rules  :christmas:

Remember a massive Uckers row about Fish 'ead rules.. Did you have mixie Blobs and Trobs, or run round the board again, suck backs and blow offs from the home pipe ?? might have lost a few here but what other way of describing it ?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Ahh, Uckers (or ukkers if you prefer)) I've had three ex-sailors try and teach me uckers and each of them had a different set of rules  :christmas:

Now that's a 'blast from the past'...side-swipes...nasty. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Miss Britmodeller one day, and four pages have gone by! Great project Ced, what a backstory!

Hope the X takes good pics. I'm such a phone, um 'phone, Luddite that my nephew and parents conspired to get me my first smart phone this past Christmas. It's really nice, I haven't activated it yet or anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Uckers!  Full body contact ludo!  Brilliant game, mixies, side swipes, running snots definitely all allowed in my crewroom, a game was never truly over until the rules on the bottom of the board had been checked!  I can't understand why our management have steadfastly refused to let me make an Uckers board for our break out area :hmmm:, mind you, we do have some ex-pugwash navy colleagues and they would try and impose some of their damn silly rules :whistle:

Mind you, by crewroom rules even bridge is a contact sport.

Apologies for the thread drift Ced but I'd been taken back to an earlier life.

Looking forward to the results from your shiny new phone.

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/20/2018 at 8:53 AM, bzn20 said:

...suck backs and blow offs from the home pipe ?? might have lost a few here but what other way of describing it ?

"Blow-BACKs".

Just saying...;)

Right. I'll go sit at the back of the room and re-stock the popcorn machine for the main thread's entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

something called Uckers

Uckers isn't a thing!  It's a way of life, the noble sport of Liney's (and Matelot's I suppose), a player requires a killer instinct, skill of hand and to have lightning reactions and be fleet of foot if only to avoid his partners incoming fist!  You've led a sheltered life my friend!

BTW, do all of Ced's descend into anarchy like this?  Just wondered as I wish I'd followed more in that case...

...anyway Ced, bring on the Billy Bunter!

Edited by Wez
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 19/03/2018 at 10:15 AM, Harry_the_Spider said:

I see that you have shoved a pointy wooden spike up the pilot's backside, which is pretty much what they wanted to do back in 1968.

Cue Blackadder quote of the century;

Aunt:  [slaps him twice]  Wicked child!!!  Chairs are an invention of Satan!
       In our house, Nathaniel sits on a spike!

Edmund:  ...and yourself...?

Aunt:  I sit on Nathaniel -- two spikes would be an extravagance.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

11 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

That's what I thought

And I wouldn't be surprised, that Ced sits there in the centre of the back row of this cabinet with his new phone ready for use just thinking: "Well, what a funny crowd! Let those crazy people post here until they are tired and I engage at page seven or later again. Two nice days undisturbed with my new Handy for sure". Maybe!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Miss Britmodeller one day, and four pages have gone by! Great project Ced, what a backstory!

Hope the X takes good pics. I'm such a phone, um 'phone, Luddite that my nephew and parents conspired to get me my first smart phone this past Christmas. It's really nice, I haven't activated it yet or anything.

is this an attempt to procure similar phone luddite comments from others sitting around this build? if so, here goes;

My wife passed her iphone 4 on to me when she got her iphone 6. I missed a call from her one day. She moaned at me when I got home and I said I didn't hear it, honest. She rang it - no trilling. She sent a text. No bing bong.

(You can see where this is going, can't you?)

A trip to Birmingham a few weeks later, go into Apple store and ask young man if he could work out why my iphone 4 made no sound. 20 minutes later, going through all settings, etc., with no sound emanating, he said " I think your phone is broken mate, thought about an iphone 6?"

I told the big bloke who threw me out that I only said "if it's a straight swap " as a joke, honest!

So, go home, with ever so quiet iphone 4 in pocket.  A few days later, meet relative with his 9 year old.

during conversation I mention iphone broken, it makes no sound. Relative chortles "let Wil look at it, he's ace on these things."

I pass it to Wil  (9 years old). he looks at phone, silently pushes the mute button up on the side and hands it back to me.

Without a smile. Without a word. I felt so stupid.

Incidentally Ced, I looked in the Diorama section and I couldn't find the scale London Bridge you will build for the Hunter. If you need someone to help mix the compo or lay bricks I'm available most days !

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I felt so stupid.

The bloke in the Apple Store should have felt a lot more so if he genuinely thought it was broken. But cynically I doubt he did....:whistle:

Our 2, nearly 3, year old grand-daughter showed the missus & me how to 'cast' youtube videos onto the TV from the missus' ipad mini the other day. Neither of us had a clue such a thing was even possible, let alone how to do it!! :D

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, hairystick said:

"Blow-BACKs".

Is this Fish head talk ? :D Brize Slang was Blow offs..blowing the guy off the bottom of your pipe.. Bet this a bit confusing to some..

Never forget the first time I saw a Ludo board in a crew room. I fell in to it big time...Ludo? Who plays Ludo ?! I'm a dead man ! So they showed me this Ludo game...I was hooked from the off, vicious **** game. Chucking 3 doubles at a Blob ....

and making it !

I want a game right now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bzn20 said:

I want a game right now.

Me too!

However, I'm not allowed that much excitement just before bedtime these days, it's not good for my beauty sleep...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

The bloke in the Apple Store should have felt a lot more so if he genuinely thought it was broken. But cynically I doubt he did....:whistle:

Our 2, nearly 3, year old grand-daughter showed the missus & me how to 'cast' youtube videos onto the TV from the missus' ipad mini the other day. Neither of us had a clue such a thing was even possible, let alone how to do it!! :D

Keith

Ditto for me !

• Like 2

There's obviously no hope for me. Page 4 already, although no real progress other than a food order. Am I in time for a snake and pygmy pie?

I'll just sit quietly at the bar and console myself with beer......

Ian

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Haircut had (with no pervy incidents), undercoat applied, off to see 'Lady Windemere's Fan' (again) and back for a quick update before bed... what have we got today?

Apostrophes: I agree that grammar is very important. I want one of those T-shirts that says "Grammar - the difference between knowing your sh*t and knowing you're sh*t". Still not sure most people would get the humour :(

Photo of 'The Bridge Incident': Alan explains his concerns over clipping the tail and missing the bus in 'Hunter Boys' - great read.

Fish: Ooops. I have no idea where fish came from, sorry. :shrug: Thanks Benedikt for the music clip :)

Uckers or Ukkers: Ummm, no idea. the Internet will inform... found a video on YouTube:

Sadly, as there's no sound, I still have no idea.

'Uckers' as a term also seems to have been high-jacked by the yoof in the ADVW community. Yes, I made up that abbreviation - if others can do it so can I. It's like, my 'uman rite, innit.

Phones: Cookie I hope the 'phone takes good pics too. That said I did look at Bill's 'phone - big buttons and just a camera - and thought hmmm, that's what I need!

As John (WhoFan) says they're far too complicated really. Mrs B still refuses to turn hers off before putting it away and we regularly get calls from her handbag and photos of, er, nothing.

6 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Wasn't there a model mentioned somewhere around here?

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That's what I thought, seems to be mostly about food, a Lego Tower Bridge and something called Uckers.

2 hours ago, Wez said:

BTW, do all of Ced's descend into anarchy like this?  Just wondered as I wish I'd followed more in that case...

...anyway Ced, bring on the Billy Bunter!

A model? There's still time...

Sorry Wez, it's par for the course but does lend some entertainment to the build. Mostly :)

Top coat on the windows tomorrow and who knows, there may even be time for some modelling too.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2