Korean War Ace Shkodin's MiG-15

Mike N

I have 3 different decal sheets with an option for a MiG-15 bis flown by Nicolay Shkodin, all showing the scheme below:

resized_2a0cdb75-75dc-4516-9a9f-4d7b0e82

Is this how it would have been marked in the skies over Korea? I was under the impression that Soviet involvement was not acknowledged at the time, so would they really have been flying with Soviet stars rather than Chinese or North Korean markings? Or does this scheme reflect an aircraft he flew once back in the USSR?

Soviet pilots were definitely flying Mig-15s in Chinese/North Korean markings as they were heard on the radio by US pilots. I've never seen any photos of Soviet AF Migs taking part in Korea, they seemed to prefer to use the conflict for combat testing of the aircraft and pilots.

The July 1953 date would be right at the end of the war and suggests to me the scheme is probably USSR based. 

4 hours ago, Mike N said:

I have 3 different decal sheets with an option for a MiG-15 bis flown by Nicolay Shkodin, all showing the scheme below:

resized_2a0cdb75-75dc-4516-9a9f-4d7b0e82

Is this how it would have been marked in the skies over Korea? I was under the impression that Soviet involvement was not acknowledged at the time, so would they really have been flying with Soviet stars rather than Chinese or North Korean markings? Or does this scheme reflect an aircraft he flew once back in the USSR?

unless this is when back in the USSR,  it's probably cobblers,  the image above is from an Aeromaster sheet,   who gained the unflattering nickname 'errormaster'

Given the paucity of hard information (ie decent photos)  there's been a lot of speculation, and 'artistic profiles'  and as my sig says...

This thread is well worth a read,  as it has some noted researchers and authors,  Tom Cooper who does the Arab MiGs books,   and @Yury Tepsurkaev  of the MiG-15 book shown

if you google image  "MiG-15 bis  Nicolay Shkodin"

you get various images like

7230702.png

this one from the Eduard MiG-15 kit looks more likely

eduardr0011reviewmd_C&M_Example.jpg

I have a pdf of a russian Mig-15 book somewhere,  and the few photos are pretty poor quality and don't show much.

Have a careful read of the thread,  the comments by Yury are very interesting.

HTH