RN Hawker Sea Hawk from 810 Sqdn on HMS Albion, December 1956

On 1/7/2019 at 9:17 PM, CJP said:

Hello Peter - I  have been hanging out for an update on your Sea Hawk - is your life letting you  get any closer to your projects on the modelling desk?

Chris

Unfortunately not. I was away for three month and I am currently occupied with an Airfix and Tamiya build of the new tool Spitfire. But I hope to get back to it later in the year.

Sorry to disappoint.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2018 at 12:38 PM, Basilisk said:

SH-XE335-101.jpg

Nice work so far Peter.

I wish that Special Hobby's representation of the undercarriage (1/72) was at least as accurate as this one is!. And I'm referring mainly to the centre-line undercarriage's engine panels that the company offers them as a one-piece, half circle plastic part!.

Edited by Shalako

On 5/15/2018 at 4:24 PM, Basilisk said:

SH-XE335-118b.jpg

Peter, if you reading this just a quick question; how accurate is the LG legs position? I see that it is very close to the aircraft's lower frame.

The reason why I'm asking this is because Airfix positions them instead a bit centred and if it's wrong I would like to fix this detail on my model.

Cheers

Bill

On 6/23/2020 at 3:44 AM, bigbadbadge said:

I thought this build was back on when I saw this , is there any update Peter? This was the inspiration for my Seahawk.  

All the best

Chris

Glad to hear that my build was your inspiration. Unfortunately I can't see myself getting back to this build soon.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:20 PM, Shalako said:

Peter, if you reading this just a quick question; how accurate is the LG legs position? I see that it is very close to the aircraft's lower frame.

The reason why I'm asking this is because Airfix positions them instead a bit centred and if it's wrong I would like to fix this detail on my model.

Cheers

Bill

I am happy with the location.

spacer.png

There are many walk arounds on the Sea Hawk on the web. Above picture is from here.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

Glad to hear that my build was your inspiration. Unfortunately I can't see myself getting back to this build soon.

No worries Peter, it is a very inspiring thread.  I have got the airframe together and am sanding, rescribing and sanding, you know the drill.  It's a shame you won't be back on it anytime soon though.

Take care and stay safe

All the best

Chris

• Like 1

It would be great to see Basilisk get this one moving again - he has a great eye for detail and some pertinent comments on interpreting shapes from photos

CJP

• Like 1

Brilliant build thread Peter, have only just seen this, what meticulous work.  The cockpit in particular is a work of art and could easily pass for the real thing

I have the same kit, and I've dragged it out of the stash a few times contemplating a build.

Your info will be superb for corrections that I didn't know it needed.

On 3/24/2018 at 11:25 AM, Basilisk said:

I also read that the front wheel bay is to far back. The box cover painting does show it as it is on the kit.

I did enlarge the 4+ Publication 1/72 drawings by 1.5 to 1/48 and the kit wheel bay is a perfect match and is where it should be.

SH-XE335-16.jpg

But it looks that the nose it to long and to wide, resulting in the wrong look. Fortunately reshaping the nose is much easier than moving the wheel bay ;). I am not a great fan in using drawings as there is no guarantee that the drawing is correct. But these drawings match the kit outline and panel line placement very well - kind of like Trumpeter used them to make the kit. Still prefer using pictures to compare a kit to.

However, one that I did know about is the nose gear placement.

What you read is correct, and Trumpeter are wrong, I suspect you're right in that Trumpy used the 4+ drawings, but possibly misinterpreted the drawing.

You can see in the images below that both the noseleg and rear opening for the bay are actually well forward of the canon ports and the leading edge of the panels for them.  I would say that the rear edge of the bay should terminate where the thick line is on the drawing.

50061582832_26fc924db7_b.jpg

Hawker Sea Hawk FGA.6 WV908 A-188 by James Thomas, on Flickr

33979051330_4190fa5279_b.jpg

Hawker Sea Hawk FGA.6 WV908 A-188 by James Thomas, on Flickr

Hope you don't mind me posting this, but I can see you are a stickler for accuracy, and I hope it's not too late to correct it.

Edited by 71chally
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 6/30/2020 at 9:12 AM, bigbadbadge said:

No worries Peter, it is a very inspiring thread.  I have got the airframe together and am sanding, rescribing and sanding, you know the drill.  It's a shame you won't be back on it anytime soon though.

Take care and stay safe

All the best

Chris

I certainly do. I never anticipated to correct this much on the kit as reviews of it had been rather positive.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:15 PM, Shalako said:

Cheers mate. I had a look at "primeportal" and found a lot of pictures. Back to work now!

Cheers,

Bill

Good to hear that you found some useful information. There are several other links to walkarounds on my first post.

On 6/30/2020 at 6:29 PM, TonyOD said:

Looking great. I love those 50s carrier jets, they must have looked very "space age" at the time!

Thanks. So do I as there is a certain charm just missing on more modern jets.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:12 PM, gingerbob said:

Just found this thread for the first time, and it is exactly the sort that I love.  I'll add my voice to the throng- don't forget about this build!

bob

Glad you like it.

On 6/30/2020 at 8:52 PM, 71chally said:

Brilliant build thread Peter, have only just seen this, what meticulous work.  The cockpit in particular is a work of art and could easily pass for the real thing

I have the same kit, and I've dragged it out of the stash a few times contemplating a build.

Your info will be superb for corrections that I didn't know it needed.

However, one that I did know about is the nose gear placement.

What you read is correct, and Trumpeter are wrong, I suspect you're right in that Trumpy used the 4+ drawings, but possibly misinterpreted the drawing.

You can see in the images below that both the noseleg and rear opening for the bay are actually well forward of the canon ports and the leading edge of the panels for them.  I would say that the rear edge of the bay should terminate where the thick line is on the drawing.

Hope you don't mind me posting this, but I can see you are a stickler for accuracy, and I hope it's not too late to correct it.

This kind of post Is what I love as it helps to make a better model, so I definitely don't mind and I will fix this as the issue is obvious.

It was great receiving all this feedback and the Sea Hawk is now back on my bench. Progress will be slow as I am working on other models and also having a 1:1 scale project on the go in the shape of extending and renovating our house which I tackle as an owner builder.

On 6/30/2020 at 7:06 PM, CJP said:

It would be great to see Basilisk get this one moving again - he has a great eye for detail and some pertinent comments on interpreting shapes from photos

CJP

You are too kind. But lets hope it will move along.

One reason I lost enthusiasm on this build was the task of scratch building the wing folds. But it came to me that there is a better way of doing this with the help of my Elegoo Mars resin printer.

I experimented with it earlier this year doing some small parts for a 1/48 scale Airfix Ju 87B build.

spacer.png

spacer.png

They are the Rudder pedals, fuse boxes and oxygen regulators and they are top to bottom 1:32, 1:48 and 1:72 which was just too small to print.

And here are the parts incorporated in the cockpit.

spacer.png

I feel doing a 3D Solidworks model of the wingfolds and then print them is more fun than scratch building them.

And of course there is still a bit more sanding and scribing of panel lines to be done :(

Cheers, Peter

Edited by Basilisk
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Basilisk said:

I feel doing a 3D Solidworks model of the wingfolds and then print them is more fun than scratch building them.

And of course there is still a bit more sanding and scribing of panel lines to be done :(

Cheers, Peter

Hi Peter - scratch building the wing folds on models is my preferred option at the moment but I am trying to get my head around 3D printing and what is possible with printers like the Elegoo Mars so I will watch your Sea Hawk with great interest. I'm currently tackling the Dynavector Scimitar & have just decided I will build it with folded wings!

Chris

• Like 2

Hooray!  I, too, had been under the impression that the Sea Hawk was one of Trumpeter's few truly "good" kits (no, I'm not "bashing"- I've got a reasonable number [sic] of Trumpeter kits).  I'm a bit relieved, and I've already pawed one of my Classic Airframes ones again (though so far that's all).

Likewise I thought it was supposed to be a good kit.  Peter I have been doing my loft conversion for the past 3.5 years. Luckily I have earned a mancave out of it so all good, have managed to keep modelling but finding time has been a bit difficult sometimes especially trying to keep up with builds on BM.  There's not enough hours in a day.  Only one more room to do now, the hallway.

I am glad you are resuming this wonderful build.  I am glad I haven't done a WIP for mine  as yours will show mine up .

Keep up the good work

All the best

Chris

That's amazing work with the Stuka cockpit, even before the printed parts.  Don't how you squeeze it all in with a house project on the go!

Glad to see the Sea Hawk project will be resurrected!

@CJP check out The Baron's Sea Vixen thread, he's creating the whole thing using a Mars.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...